• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith to meet with Goodell next week

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping he gets 2 or less games.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon Smith - LB - 49ers

49ers OLB Aldon Smith is scheduled to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell on Aug. 8.

The pair will have plenty to talk about. Over the past year, Smith has faced felony gun charges, a DUI charge and was arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat at LAX. We're tentatively expecting a 4-6 game suspension.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 31 - 7:50 AM

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say with that Rice suspension...he might be a smack on the fanny and get sent to his room...if it's significantly more than Rice at this point I'd be surprised.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm guessing 2 - 4 games and I'm leaning on 2 games as Ray Rice might've done Smith a solid here.

You have to keep in mind he's never been suspended and when you add it all up he really hasn't done that much.

The only serious thing he's done was the DUI as the gun charges didn't amount to much and the false bomb report didn't amount to anything.

Not to mention the rehab he took part of during last season will likely factor into Goodell's decision.

So if he can convince Goodell he's been sober and the false bomb report was just a misunderstanding I don't think he'll get much time.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing 2 - 4 games and I'm leaning on 2 games as Ray Rice might've done Smith a solid here.

You have to keep in mind he's never been suspended and when you add it all up he really hasn't done that much.

The only serious thing he's done was the DUI as the gun charges didn't amount to much and the false bomb report didn't amount to anything.

Not to mention the rehab he took part of during last season will likely factor into Goodell's decision.

So if he can convince Goodell he's been sober and the false bomb report was just a misunderstanding I don't think he'll get much time.

I disagree. The bomb incident was just plain stupid. Apparently he though he was above the level of the TSA at an airport.
The illegal guns aren't that big of a deal to me but I can see why some would highly object to having possession.
The party when gun shots were fired and I believe a knifing happened as well draws a huge concern. WTF is that all about or is that a common occurrence in California?
The DUI is a big one based upon how that went down. Aldon was so drunk he passed out and crashed his car against a tree. Instead of a tree, he just as easily could have crashed into and killed kids on the way to school.
This was at about 7am IIRC. He wasn't just tipsy, he was smashed at 7 am on the way to fucking practice.

When added together he looks like a time bomb waiting to go off.
Feel free to defend him.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some of what you said is accurate, some of it not.

Regardless how you view his past actions, if I was Aldon or his representation I would paint his story in two parts: pre-rehab and post-rehab.

Yes his pre has a few incidents. Most of them can be chalked up to a young athlete with money for the first time (guns bought legally in AZ, illegal possession in Cali; out of control house-party; DUI x 2).

Post rehab, he has been a model citizen besides the LAX incident. Which didn't lead to charges, and from the report he was arrested at the gate - not at screening. So in my mind this is how I see that: Aldon gets tagged for random screening, TSA guy says "hey you're Aldon Smith right?" Aldon replies, " yeah man, the star football player, you guys really think I have a bomb?" TSA replies, "nah man just random screening" exit Aldon. Then later someone who overheard the "bomb" speaks up and all the guards go to Aldon's departure gate because America is paranoid and some worker needed to follow the letter of the law.

This actually happens quite often with TSA, ergo why no files were charged.

Now if good ol Roger G can see in a similar light the change in character pattern then he may be lenient. I've heard Schefter reporting it to be a "significant" suspension and I've heard a lot about more leniency. Who the eff knows?

I don't think he'll get more than 4 games considering his 5 game absence last year. And I think we can still win our first four games without him. If he gets less than 4 games I bet he gets hit with a heavy fine because the Niners did pay him during his absence.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The bomb incident was just plain stupid. Apparently he though he was above the level of the TSA at an airport.
The illegal guns aren't that big of a deal to me but I can see why some would highly object to having possession.
The party when gun shots were fired and I believe a knifing happened as well draws a huge concern. WTF is that all about or is that a common occurrence in California?
The DUI is a big one based upon how that went down. Aldon was so drunk he passed out and crashed his car against a tree. Instead of a tree, he just as easily could have crashed into and killed kids on the way to school.
This was at about 7am IIRC. He wasn't just tipsy, he was smashed at 7 am on the way to fucking practice.

Feel free to defend him.

If you're looking for Seahawk fan level knob-slobbing, I don't think you'll get that here

The stabbing/gun thing is problematic, says a lot about his judgment and the situations he creates and puts himself in. The DUI is the most problematic, and says similar things. The airport thing isn't a big deal at all. It's obscenely stupid and was an "icing on the cake" type moment but in and of itself it doesn't really matter.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Feel free to defend him.

I can easily defend him. The bomb incident is not him thinking he is above the TSA at all. It is him being a dumb shit and being frustrated.

The gun charges don't count as anything as he bought them legally, but in all honesty he shouldn't have weapons.

The party was him breaking up a fight and he is the one who was cut. That is being with the wrong people. That is something most famous athletes have to work on. Sometimes you have to cut ties. But that should't be held against him, as it pertains to most players in the league.

The alcoholism is the only real concern with him and it is legit. Alcohol is the reason for most dumb decisions, but when you add to it money, fame, and a sense of invincibility that a lot of athletes have it gets pretty bad. Yes it could have easily been a person he crashed into, but it wasn't. It was a tree. You can't punish someone with "what ifs." He needs help as anybody with that problem does. Hopefully he gets it and doesn't fuck his life up over it. But part of it (like the airport thing) is a reflection of how he is perceived now. It looked worse than it was because people overreacted about it. When you look at everything as a whole, he doesn't look like a time bomb, he looks like someone who needs help controlling alcohol abuse.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two weeks this season and time served for the total of 4 to 6 from his being in rehab last season I hope.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Feel free to defend him.

At least he's not screwing the QBs wife......

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ring ring, ring ring

Roger: "Hello. This is God almighty, I mean Roger Goodell. Oh, hello Aldon...looking forward to next week"

Aldon: "Hey Rodge. How about dinner and drinks? I'll drive. Pick you up at seven."

Madskillz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to break it, but he won't play against Dallas. Shefter even said he expects 4-6. I'm guessing 4 games. But he will b suspended.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hate to break it, but he won't play against Dallas. Shefter even said he expects 4-6. I'm guessing 4 games. But he will b suspended.

Yes, but will they take into consideration the 49ers suspending him 5 games & allow at least some of that to be "time served?"

That's the big question. I hope it's yes.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're looking for Seahawk fan level knob-slobbing, I don't think you'll get that here

The stabbing/gun thing is problematic, says a lot about his judgment and the situations he creates and puts himself in. The DUI is the most problematic, and says similar things. The airport thing isn't a big deal at all. It's obscenely stupid and was an "icing on the cake" type moment but in and of itself it doesn't really matter.
I don't think I ever looked for knob slobbing (?) I would have thought it would be spelled slobbering...show's I'm out of touch. I don't expect anything here other than a cold shoulder here, but it hasn't been bad.
We agree on all counts I mentioned.
TSA was stupid.
Illegal gun possession, party with guns and a stabbing mean very little if anything. Slap wrists.
Now add all of that little stuff with the DUI and it is an entirely different picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily defend him. The bomb incident is not him thinking he is above the TSA at all. It is him being a dumb shit and being frustrated.

The gun charges don't count as anything as he bought them legally, but in all honesty he shouldn't have weapons.

The party was him breaking up a fight and he is the one who was cut. That is being with the wrong people. That is something most famous athletes have to work on. Sometimes you have to cut ties. But that should't be held against him, as it pertains to most players in the league.

The alcoholism is the only real concern with him and it is legit. Alcohol is the reason for most dumb decisions, but when you add to it money, fame, and a sense of invincibility that a lot of athletes have it gets pretty bad. Yes it could have easily been a person he crashed into, but it wasn't. It was a tree. You can't punish someone with "what ifs." He needs help as anybody with that problem does. Hopefully he gets it and doesn't fuck his life up over it. But part of it (like the airport thing) is a reflection of how he is perceived now. It looked worse than it was because people overreacted about it. When you look at everything as a whole, he doesn't look like a time bomb, he looks like someone who needs help controlling alcohol abuse.

We agree on all parts. A little copy and paste from a response to whysie...

We agree on all counts I mentioned.
TSA was stupid.
Illegal gun possession, party with guns and a stabbing mean very little if anything. Slap wrists.
Now add all of that little stuff with the DUI and it is an entirely different picture.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 weeks is my guess.
If he falls down again, he will get kicked hard in the nads.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he should slap a woman around to get two games......