• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama has played UT-Chattanooga 3 times since 2008

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gKVg6.gif

No Divisions
Keep permament rivals
8 conference games
2 P5 games

It's perfect.
We agreed on something? Quick, someone go and find a tear in the space time continuum or something.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our SoS is overall improved.

We traded an East game rotation for the best team in Texas every year. So in addition to "avoiding" UGA, we also avoid Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc.

I get it, the SEC east sucks but is Chattanooga that much better?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 teams + 8 game conference schedule = pseudo conference
With how the ACC, SEC, and Big10 are currently structured I agree. Going 6 years between games is absurd for a "conference". If you are playing every other year I'm ok with it. It also makes the addition of one team easier (9 conference games, 4 rivalry games, rotate two pools of 5, go down to one P5 opponent required).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, the SEC east sucks but is Chattanooga that much better?

The 2 aren't related.

We are going to play Chattanooga types regardless of how often we play Georgia.

Even if Alabama started playing 2 P5 teams in OOC, that Chattanooga game is still going to exist.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because nearly every team has some patsy on their schedule.
No shit. My team at least one team's patsy every year. Sometimes two. Big checks.

Just wondering those type of games are considered as sacred as a rivalry game.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. My team at least one team's patsy every year. Sometimes two. Big checks.

It's not considered sacred but pretending like every team plays 12 P5 games is ignorant. Every team is going to play a patsy every year. Even a team like USC who doesn't play FCS teams plays chumps. Western Michigan (who has been gutted and with a new head coach), UNLV, Fresno State, New Mexico. Everyone has some shit team they play.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Bama doesn't play Georgia this year either so they will have played them twice in 9 years.

Why the hell even be in a conference with a team if you don't play them any more frequently than that?

Georgia has yet to play Texas A&M since they joined the SEC and barring a highly unlikely meeting in the SEC title game, we won't play them until 2019.

That'll be 8 seasons that two teams from the same conference haven't played each other.

It's a bit ridiculous.

Either scrap divisions or move to 9 conference games.

Tennessee and Florida are the only SEC East teams that Georgia needs to play every year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not considered sacred but pretending like every team plays 12 P5 games is ignorant. Every team is going to play a patsy every year. Even a team like USC who doesn't play FCS teams plays chumps. Western Michigan (who has been gutted and with a new head coach), UNLV, Fresno State, New Mexico. Everyone has some shit team they play.
Even if a P5 team played all P5 teams on its OOC schedule, most of the time they would still get a patsy because each P5 conference has at least one. More often than not the non P5 patsy actually plays that P5 team closer than some of their lowly conference members. Hell, last year Western Kentucky played Bama closer than USC, Tennessee, Miss State and Florida.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many reasons.

It counts as a bowl win.

Strength of schedule is high enough overall usually that it doesn't hurt. IE: We aren't going to be left out of anything because of it.

But mostly - They want an easy team to tune up against Auburn and it's hard to get a FBS team to come visit in November. Most teams are playing conference games those weeks and even the ones that have dates off don't want to play a team like Alabama in the middle of their conference games.

But for a FCS team, it's a big enough payday they don't give a fuck I guess.

Meanwhile here is the downside:

It gives butthurt people something to cherry pick and make threads about.

So basically, that game isn't going anywhere.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because nearly every team has some patsy on their schedule.
A 14 team pseudo conference with an 8 game conference schedule. 4 OOC games is going to get you more sisters of the poor in mid November.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 14 team pseudo conference with an 8 game conference schedule. 4 OOC games is going to get you more sisters of the poor in mid November.
Maybe you missed the two required P5 opponents. The Big Ten had 4 OOC forever and didn't have the chumps in November. By ditching the divisions it prevents teams from missing the other half the division except once every six years.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you missed the two required P5 opponents. The Big Ten had 4 OOC forever and didn't have the chumps in November. By ditching the divisions it prevents teams from missing the other half the division except once every six years.
The SEC has a one P5 OOC opponent rule that includes Army being recognized as a P5 opponent.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has a one P5 OOC opponent rule that includes Army being recognized as a P5 opponent.
Since you are completely missing everything I have said let me recap for you.

I do not agree with an 8 game conference schedule as the conferences are currently structured in the SEC, ACC, and BigTen (the 14 team conferences and yes I know the BigTen plays 9 conference games currently). If they got rid of divisions, had 3 permanent rivals, split the remaining 10 teams into two pools of 5, and required two P5 opponents in the non-conference schedule, then I would agree with an 8 game schedule. That gives each team 10 P5 opponents (which the majority of PAC and Big12 teams play) and prevents going years in between playing teams that are supposedly in your conference.

Example
2017 Michigan State
Non-Conference = Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Notre Dame, @Alabama
Permanent Rivals = @Michigan, Penn State, @Indiana
Odd Year Opponents = Ohio State, @Nebraska, Minnesota, @Rutgers, and Purdue

2018 Michigan State
Non-Conference = Utah State, Central Michigan, @Arizona State, West Virginia
Permanent Rivals = Michigan, @Penn State, Indiana
Even Year Opponents = @Wisconsin, Iowa, @Illinois, Maryland, and @Northwestern

Then 2019 you rotate back to the odd year opponents but the home games become away games.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gender_Neutral_Tampons.jpg

For the OP

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

9 conference games sucks because it regionalized the sport when it needs to be nationalized.

8 conference games and 2 P5 quality opponents is much better than 9 conference games and 1 P5.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 conference games sucks because it regionalized the sport when it needs to be nationalized.

8 conference games and 2 P5 quality opponents is much better than 9 conference games and 1 P5.
This coming from a Bama fan? LMFAO! Washington plays in New Jersey this year, SC played in Boston a few years back, Washington plays in Atlanta next year, Stanford plays in Indiana this year, etc, etc...

Cut the bs. You people wouldn't cross the Missouri River to save your cornbread eating lives unless it was for a CFP bowl game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This coming from a Bama fan? LMFAO! Washington plays in New Jersey this year, SC played in Boston a few years back, Washington plays in Atlanta next year, Stanford plays in Indiana this year, etc, etc...

Cut the bs. You people wouldn't cross the Missouri River to save your cornbread eating lives unless it was for a CFP bowl game.

It doesn't matter what river gets crossed, your team can't handle Alabama.