• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Discussion

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you move Gimenez to SS- where he would still be an elite defender (but probably not the best in baseball like he is at 2B) and go get a 2nd basemen? Or let Rocchio or one of the guys take the reins? Arias showed some power but he has some holes in his swing. Arias has some pretty awesome defense too.

Personally- I would give the job to Rocchio and see what I could get for Arias. I think he would have some value.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key for Jones is he does not have Coors inflated splits.

He was just as good(slightly better slug/OPS wise) on the road.
I think he will be good- in fact I think I am going to target him in my quasi-keeper Fantasy Baseball League in the offseason. (you get 8 keepers that are $5 more than they were the previous year). I believe in him but I could def. see some his OBP/Average go down- though I he has legit power and good speed for his position.

I won my roto league- I was in 9th in June out of 12 teams. So rare for a comeback like that. I did deal Vladdy- (who I had in my minors a few years ago and is only $15 to keep- and was incredibly cheap) for win-now help- so I need a 1st basemen next year.

My keepers are pretty dry. I mortgaged the future to a certain extent to win this year. I still have some values- Cole at $42. Ramirez at $42, Seager at $35. Yelich at $25- but I have very few young cheap guys. Bibee at $5. Eury Perez is in my minors and I have to call up but he will only be a $1. I have Outman I can keep for $5. Steer I can keep for $5. I may keep Evan Phillips for $6.

do you believe in Michael King? I could keep him for $5 since he was undrafted this year.

I got Seager in my Vladdy deal- I already had Lindor. Would you rather have Seager for $35 as a keeper or Lindor for $40? Budget is $260.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royce Lewis is the best player in the central. And its honestly not close

Just please injury god, let him stay healthy. You can keep Buxton.

I could argue Bobby Witt Jr. is close. But I don't feel like it. Royce just broke a curse that began when he was 5 years old.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could argue Bobby Witt Jr. is close. But I don't feel like it. Royce just broke a curse that began when he was 5 years old.

TBH, Royals being the Royals always makes me forget to even consider them. Yeah Witt is legit as fuck. The base stealing is a plus and hes 1 year younger.

Royce has proven the clutch gene already though. It would be between those two.

Wiggy will rush in and say JRam, who while still great. Is 31 and albeit slowly...declining.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins move on to Houston. The Twins took the season series from the Astros. I'm not predicting a win, but this team should be OK. Buxton might be able to play in the field?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, Royals being the Royals always makes me forget to even consider them. Yeah Witt is legit as fuck. The base stealing is a plus and hes 1 year younger.

Royce has proven the clutch gene already though. It would be between those two.

Wiggy will rush in and say JRam, who while still great. Is 31 and albeit slowly...declining.
I actually think the best player in the central- and I said it a couple weeks ago- is Luis Roberts.

Witt took a big step up in the 2nd half- he was very good but not great in the first half. After a lot of injuries and a development where some of the luster wore off- the former #1 pick Lewis looks awesome- but hard for me to put him over JRam when he has less than half a season's at bats to his name. We will see next year where he is at.

Very glad the Twins won- a lot of people were ripping on the central as the worst division in baseball, but it is the 2nd year in a row they won a playoff series. HOpefully the Twins can get another.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the best player in the central- and I said it a couple weeks ago- is Luis Roberts.

Witt took a big step up in the 2nd half- he was very good but not great in the first half. After a lot of injuries and a development where some of the luster wore off- the former #1 pick Lewis looks awesome- but hard for me to put him over JRam when he has less than half a season's at bats to his name. We will see next year where he is at.

Very glad the Twins won- a lot of people were ripping on the central as the worst division in baseball, but it is the 2nd year in a row they won a playoff series. HOpefully the Twins can get another.

Robert is very good too. His power is immense and clearly a great defender as well. But I dont think as an all around hitter he has the same potential as Royce and Witt.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny how Andres Gimenez kind of breaks WAR- even though he was pretty mediocre hitting wise (though 15 homers, 30 steals isnt bad)- he has a 5.3 WAR at ESPN. Although he was basically ranked as the best overall defender in baseball behind just Fernando Tatis Jr., this year. Not many guys with 12.5 WAR over the last 2 seasons.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert is very good too. His power is immense and clearly a great defender as well. But I dont think as an all around hitter he has the same potential as Royce and Witt.

Royce is obviously very high on potential

Guess I'd like to see more before we crown him

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royce is obviously very high on potential

Guess I'd like to see more before we crown him

Talent is talent.

1 season to define a players offensive ability for someone like Andres Gimenez, Kerry Carpenter or Matt Wallner isnt an exact science.

For a guy who went 1:1 and has a OPS over .1000 with RISP? Yeah, hes just good.

We had a similar debate mid season when you pointed to his small sample size walk rate. I even at that pointed out(as a fan who obviously watches every game) that it was misleading because of how well he was hitting and at bats dont last long enough to walk. Since he returned in August that rate leveled out by skyrocketing.

Hes just really good at baseball there isnt any more that needs to be seen. Alex kirilloff has potential to be Mauerish but needs to do more to prove it. Royce doesnt need to show anything more.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirilloff is actually a better corner outfielder than a 1B, but unless Sabato or another player can show that they can handle 1B at the major league level, he will be there for the near future.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent is talent.

1 season to define a players offensive ability for someone like Andres Gimenez, Kerry Carpenter or Matt Wallner isnt an exact science.

For a guy who went 1:1 and has a OPS over .1000 with RISP? Yeah, hes just good.

We had a similar debate mid season when you pointed to his small sample size walk rate. I even at that pointed out(as a fan who obviously watches every game) that it was misleading because of how well he was hitting and at bats dont last long enough to walk. Since he returned in August that rate leveled out by skyrocketing.

Hes just really good at baseball there isnt any more that needs to be seen. Alex kirilloff has potential to be Mauerish but needs to do more to prove it. Royce doesnt need to show anything more.
24 year old rookies need to play more than a third of a season to be considered on the level with All Stars and a guy who is consistently top five in MVP.

Showing that he can play most of a season is something most non Twins are going to need to see.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24 year old rookies need to play more than a third of a season to be considered on the level with All Stars and a guy who is consistently top five in MVP.

Showing that he can play most of a season is something most non Twins are going to need to see.
yah. 210 at bats isnt much of a sample size. Julien looked like a monster his first 200 or so at bats and then nose-dived the rest of the year. Gotta do it for more than a third of a year. Bohm looked like a freaking monster at hitting in a similar sample size his rookie year and had just as good a pedigree his rookie year and has tanked hard since then.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yea

Elly was straight mashing his first 200 or so at bats. Obviously Lewis looks like he's going to be very good but let's see a full year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah. 210 at bats isnt much of a sample size. Julien looked like a monster his first 200 or so at bats and then nose-dived the rest of the year. Gotta do it for more than a third of a year. Bohm looked like a freaking monster at hitting in a similar sample size his rookie year and had just as good a pedigree his rookie year and has tanked hard since then.
Yeah, a lot of guys have remarkable month and a half runs. Like this spring when so many people were all excited for Arraez to have a shot at .400. He still won the batting title. But he hit .314 in the second half.

Sample size matters.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea

Elly was straight mashing his first 200 or so at bats. Obviously Lewis looks like he's going to be very good but let's see a full year.
Not that I don’t think Lewis has a helluva career ahead of him. I do.

But I also remember Chris Shelton’s first couple months. And the rest of his career.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not a straight line sample size though.

He hit last year in his 50 Abs before being hurt.

He immediately came up this year when eligible in May and hit...like quite literally first AB. He got hurt and sat a month plus. Returned and immediately hit again. He then sat two weeks and came back for the playoffs and immediately hit then.

All while also raking in any AAA stint over the same time period.

Injuries are the concern. But hes simply fucking good

And idk what Ramirez used to being top 5 in MVP has anything to do with right now. Right now he clearly not the same player and hes aging even if he is still good. If a GM was told that for next year they have to have Royce or Jose Ramirez, 30/30 are taking Royce.