• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AHL goalie intentionally disloges net

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree pix. The team awarded the penalty shot should have the choice of accepting the penalty shot or taking the 2 min powerplay (as there are definitely times when taking the powerplay is the wiser choice (say late in the 3rd period and holding onto a 1 goal lead).

Or simply if your team has a good powerplay. Just as in football when you can decline penalties when that benefits your team. I feel like most of the time a power play is much more punative than a shot. You're generally taking off good players for a few minutes because they don't kill penalties, you're wearing out the D and the goalie, etc.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been a lot shrewder if he hadn't been so obvious about it...

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still award a penalty shot and regardless if the penalty shot is successful, the goalie's team still gets a two minute minor for delay of game. That would put a stop to these kind of shenanigans.

Exactly what I was thinking!

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree pix. The team awarded the penalty shot should have the choice of accepting the penalty shot or taking the 2 min powerplay (as there are definitely times when taking the powerplay is the wiser choice (say late in the 3rd period and holding onto a 1 goal lead).

Or if you've just started a 2 min PP and a guy gets tripped on the breakaway. I think I'd rather have a long 5 on 3 than a penalty shot and the rest of the 5 on 4.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that any suggestion should also include the goalie being tossed from the game and maybe even a suspension.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that any suggestion should also include the goalie being tossed from the game and maybe even a suspension.

I agree with this. The punishment for that obvious type of play should be automatic goal and a game misconduct for the goalie (no other penalty assessed) and a one game suspension. The goal can be dislodged for player safety, not so goalies can deny legitimate scoring chances. That's something I wouldn't expect to see in a beer league, let alone from a "professional" hockey player.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a guy who has played a lot of beer league hockey, there has been many nights when it wouldn't have made a difference if our goalie would have been tossed from the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be weird, but, while they frustrate me when they happen all the time, I kind of relish the opportunity to face a 2-on-0 here and there. I just enjoy making the big save.

Of course, I've also faced 4-on-0's, and those are not fun. Under any circumstances.

Ah, pickup street hockey...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking that a game misconduct shouldn't be excluded either. Then the issue becomes being careful about implementing it. Basically only pull that out when extremely obvious, like this situation.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're looking for sportsmanship, sports is probably not the place to begin your search.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be an automatic goal. We give an automatic goal when you trip a guy who's on a breakaway with an empty net, why not here?

I also think the goalie should be suspended. We accept that some rules will be broken, but when you go that far out of your way to knowingly, intentionally, and cynically exploit what is essentially a loophole, it's another story. There's poor sportsmanship, and then there's deciding to not even try to play the sport anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the goalie crossed the line into that other territory.

When people forget or intentionally ignore the complete spirit of sport, it has to be a stiffer penalty in my opinion. That goalie wasn't shrewd, and he's not the first to consider knocking the net off. He's just an asshole.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
brilliant. he knew the rules (called his own penalty shot) and used it.
also, this was mattola'd from the other thread

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brilliant. he knew the rules (called his own penalty shot) and used it.
also, this was mattola'd from the other thread

I have a question for you. If a team is down by 2 men in the final minute of the game, should they just cheat as much as possible? They can't get any more penalties, so is that "brilliant" as well?

I played indoor ball-hockey, and there was no delay of game penalty. The other team was up by a few goals, with ten minutes left, and spent the rest of the game passing the ball back to their goalie so they could freeze it. They didn't try to move the ball up the rink at all. Brilliant as well?

I don't consider it brilliant to exploit obvious loopholes in sports. It's just cheap. I guess you're a fan of soccer players writhing around in fake injury late in a game as well, right? Why not, it helps the team win and it's not against the rules, so...?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I try to think of these situations in the worst case scenario. Lets say this happened with the attacking team down 1 in a playoff game. Is a simple penalty shot adequate? I struggle to blame the guy who did it. He's scummy and likely a bit of a shit head (evidenced by his big reaction to the save), but there's clearly a huge loophole. Every sport has (or had in many cases) unwritten rules, but when they're unwritten, guys come along willing to break them, which should lead to written rules. Not that being reactionary is a great approach, but...c'est la vie.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I try to think of these situations in the worst case scenario. Lets say this happened with the attacking team down 1 in a playoff game. Is a simple penalty shot adequate? I struggle to blame the guy who did it. He's scummy and likely a bit of a shit head (evidenced by his big reaction to the save), but there's clearly a huge loophole. Every sport has (or had in many cases) unwritten rules, but when they're unwritten, guys come along willing to break them, which should lead to written rules. Not that being reactionary is a great approach, but...c'est la vie.

That's true, I just don't get why the guy is being lauded for it.

Another situation, down by two men late in a game, why wouldn't an NHL goalie just knock the net off as soon as he sensed any kind of threat? Or even just if his team lost the faceoff? Worst case scenario, the coach sends some scrub to the box in his place, they are still just down a 5-on-3, the goalie is still playing, but they get to try the faceoff again.

My point is, it's not really that hard to find some of these scenarios. They aren't brilliant, they're obvious.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I have a question for you. If a team is down by 2 men in the final minute of the game, should they just cheat as much as possible? They can't get any more penalties, so is that "brilliant" as well?

I played indoor ball-hockey, and there was no delay of game penalty. The other team was up by a few goals, with ten minutes left, and spent the rest of the game passing the ball back to their goalie so they could freeze it. They didn't try to move the ball up the rink at all. Brilliant as well?

I don't consider it brilliant to exploit obvious loopholes in sports. It's just cheap. I guess you're a fan of soccer players writhing around in fake injury late in a game as well, right? Why not, it helps the team win and it's not against the rules, so...?

for the bolded - absolutely.
there is an advantage to knowing the rulebook. If the penalty is a lesser evil, you do it.
isn't that the the whole point of hooking a player that has an open net?
the punishment (2min PK) is a better option than allowing a sure goal, so you do it.

in beer-league it's a bit bullshit because (presumably) you're all there for fun and exercise.
but when wins actually matter, you do whatever you can.

writhing around faking injuries is not within the rules, and there should be no benefit.
a player can get carded for that, and the injury time is supposed to get added on anyway.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AHL to amend rule after Sound Tigers' goalie intentionally knocks net off moorings

The American Hockey League is amending one of its rules after Bridgeport Sound Tigers goaltender David Leggio intentionally knocked his net off the moorings during a game Sunday night. According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the amended rule would provide officials the right to hand down a game misconduct to the offending goalkeeper. A penalty shot would then be awarded, which could be taken by anyone on the ice and the replacement goalie would face the shot.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was fast.

Seems like a fair rule change to me too. I wouldn't be surprised if a "clarification" gets released by the NHL about something similar.

Last edited by a moderator: