• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted for child abuse

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Did you see how many jackasses were running around here before the tape came out coming up with ridiculous arguments like "she was probably attacking him relentlessly, a guy's gotta be able to defend himself", "maybe she had a knife", or my favorite "Bruce Lee wasn't much bigger than her and he could really do damage to a guy twice his size"?
We are discussing spanking a child and not hitting a woman. Please pay attention.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are discussing spanking a child and not hitting a woman. Please pay attention.

I was just letting him know why I agree with him.... And I'll talk about whatever the fuck I want. You pay attention.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A small minority of parents, from 4 to 7 percent depending on the time period, used physical punishment often and with some intensity. Although these parents were not legally abusive, they were overly severe and used spanking impulsively. Hitting occurred frequently, but it was the intensity that really identified this group, said Baumrind.

She said intensity was rated high if the parent said he or she used a paddle or other instrument to strike the child, or hit on the face or torso, or lifted to throw or shake the child.

This group of parents, identified in the "red zone" for "stop" was removed from the sample at the first stage of analysis. With them went most of the correlations initially found between spanking and long-term harm to children, said Baumrind.

"When we removed this 'red zone' group of parents," said Baumrind, "we were left with very few small but significant correlations between normative physical punishment and later misbehavior among the children at age 8 to 9.

I know what you're trying to say with this but they didn't have to remove non/minimal spanking parents from the group. For an obvious reason.

How many of the red group thought they were being abusive?

How much of what was described in the red group is seen as acceptable by many?

Was there any indications that kids who were minimally spanked suffered?

Last edited by a moderator:

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Did you see how many jackasses were running around here before the tape came out coming up with ridiculous arguments like "she was probably attacking him relentlessly, a guy's gotta be able to defend himself", "maybe she had a knife", or my favorite "Bruce Lee wasn't much bigger than her and he could really do damage to a guy twice his size"?

:L I said this and I made that point because the person I was talking to said since he was bigger than her, he automatically would do more damage. So by his logic, Bruce Lee should have been a 7 foot, 350 pound guy in order to be one of the best fighters in the 20th century.

If you honestly think being bigger than the other person is what determines a winner in a fight, well then that's on you. Sorry if that's too hard for you to comprehend.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L I said this and I made that point because the person I was talking to said since he was bigger than her, he automatically would do more damage. So by his logic, Bruce Lee should have been a 7 foot, 350 pound guy in order to be one of the best fighters in the 20th century.

If you honestly think being bigger than the other person is what determines a winner in a fight, well then that's on you. Sorry if that's too hard for you to comprehend.

No, it's cool. You had to reach for Bruce Lee to defend your guy, I get it.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's cool. You had to reach for Bruce Lee to defend your guy, I get it.

I wasn't defending anybody (which I have repeatedly said to people who can't read apparently). And it wasn't a reach, I could have easily used another person as an example.

Can I ask why somebody can't bring up a talking point about an incident without being accused of defending someone?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a video? Because public as a whole is too dumb to put two and two together....but if theres a video,,,watch out

true point. In fact, not even just the public- include Goodell, the Ravens staff,...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't defending anybody (which I have repeatedly said to people who can't read apparently). And it wasn't a reach, I could have easily used another person as an example.

Can I ask why somebody can't bring up a talking point about an incident without being accused of defending someone?

Talking points are fine. Bruce Lee was a bit of a reach, Mayweather would have been too. Extreme circumstances are just that, extreme.

My point was just that there were a lot of posters saying "we dont know what happened" before it came out, now some of those same posters are like, "well duh, we didnt need to see the tape to know what happened".

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-5.jpg

No video but we have a picture.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2014/09/12/0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-5.jpg

No video but we have a picture.

Anyone defending this needs to look at these pictures. There is a huge difference between reasonably spanking a kid and this, especially if the reports are true and these pics were taken a week later.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone defending this needs to look at these pictures. There is a huge difference between reasonably spanking a kid and this, especially if the reports are true and these pics were taken a week later.
:agree:

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you're trying to say with this but they didn't have to remove non/minimal spanking parents from the group. For an obvious reason.

How many of the red group thought they were being abusive?

How much of what was described in the red group is seen as acceptable by many?

Was there any indications that kids who were minimally spanked suffered?

With all due respect, it's in the the link of the actual study, Boss. It's all there.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a pretty big difference between giving your child a spanking and abusing your child though.

No, there's not. Convince yourself otherwise.... but I'll pray for you kids. There's not a reason in the world an adult hits a child. (please, don't give me the one in a billion reason found on Google).

[ AND by CHILD, I do not mean someone being jumped by five 14 yr olds on the subway ]

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect, it's in the the link of the actual study, Boss. It's all there.

My quote was from the actual study. I did read the article. For what the author was trying to look at it was an interesting study. It made sense from that point of view in that they were trying to determine the negative effects on otherwise well-functioning families. Which is if your family is well-functioning and the parents are good, spanking didn't really have a effect one way or another.

In order for them to concentrate on what they considered their target group (good parents/families) they threw out any family who's punishment method could be deemed at all extreme. That included any use of anything other than a hand. Paddles, switches, belts, even?

The key factor for them was what they defined as a good family and in those families spanking wasn't seen as a factor. That's good news

But other then the group of people who felt that any type of spanking is wrong, it doesn't look at much of what we've been arguing about here. It wasn't in the scope of the study.

It doesn't look at the effect on the kids in that group they labeled extreme. You know, paddles, switches, a whopping.

It doesn't look at whether people in that extreme group felt they were good parents and whether they saw their methods as normal and just good parenting.

It doesn't say anything about the parents who were minimal spankers and whether they were less effective parents.

Maybe I missed it but that's what I got out of it.

See what I'm getting at?

Bradyjustwins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Clear based on location and frequency of hits Peterson was flailing wildly at this kid. Those aren't just there because the kid was moving a lot.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every parent starts out wishing to never lay a hand on their child.

....then my tagline applies.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mind is made up. Ap went way across the line into abuse. I'm not about to condemn a parent for normal spanking. But this kid was 4; and those marks are way too deep and on his legs. Pics made me a little sick to be honest.

Fuck him.

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My quote was from the actual study. I did read the article. For what the author was trying to look at it was an interesting study. It made sense from that point of view in that they were trying to determine the negative effects on otherwise well-functioning families. Which is if your family is well-functioning and the parents are good, spanking didn't really have a effect one way or another.

In order for them to concentrate on what they considered their target group (good parents/families) they threw out any family who's punishment method could be deemed at all extreme. That included any use of anything other than a hand. Paddles, switches, belts, even?

The key factor for them was what they defined as a good family and in those families spanking wasn't seen as a factor. That's good news

But other then the group of people who felt that any type of spanking is wrong, it doesn't look at much of what we've been arguing about here. It wasn't in the scope of the study.

It doesn't look at the effect on the kids in that group they labeled extreme. You know, paddles, switches, a whopping.

It doesn't look at whether people in that extreme group felt they were good parents and whether they saw their methods as normal and just good parenting.

It doesn't say anything about the parents who were minimal spankers and whether they were less effective parents.

Maybe I missed it but that's what I got out of it.

See what I'm getting at?

It says the children of parents who were spanked minimally had no negative effects. That's that. As far as the extreme group, they weren't attempting to study them.

The point is the study is that a blanket condemnation of spanking makes no sense and is based in no logic. When spanking is used in context with overall parenting positive skills, the children show no negative effects.

Again, no one is saying what Peterson did here was right, I do think it's abuse, but when loons like ncmalko start with the general statements about how spanking affects people's self confidence and teaches them violence, that's that bullshit that sounds good but can't be proven in any way.