• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

According to USA Today...

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an interesting article from USA Today, via Puck Daddy. The writer gives 10 predictions about the upcoming season, 5 of which I strongly expect. Thought you all may enjoy it.

10 early projections for the 2011-12 NHL season - USATODAY.com

1. Presuming both players stay healthy, Jeff Carter and Rick Nash will combine for 75-plus goals this season for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

2. Whether the Edmonton Oilers are close to competing for a playoff spot is unknown, but they will be exciting. It's easy to project them as an elite Pittsburgh Penguins-style contender by 2013 or 2014. There are a good number of general managers who gladly would trade their team for the Oilers' roster.

3. Presuming the Phoenix Coyotes don't get Shane Doan re-signed, he will be the hot name at the NHL trade deadline.

4. Edmonton's Ales Hemsky will lead the NHL in trade rumors. Again.

5. The improved New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres should be moving up in the Eastern Conference standings, although it's difficult to project who is falling. The Washington Capitals? Penguins? Don't see it, but some do.

6. In Tomas Vokoun ($1.5 million), Jonathan Quick ($1.8 million) and Jimmy Howard ($2.25 million), the Capitals, Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings have the NHL's best bargain goaltending.

7. The Nashville Predators will acquire a scorer to play in their top six. The team has too much potential not to try to improve its scoring. After the Shea Weber situation is settled, they will look around. Cory Stillman is still out there in free agency. Sergei Samsonov is available. Plus, some teams are looking to shave money off their payroll. There are some trade possibilities.

8. The Tampa Bay Lightning will give up 20 to 25 fewer goals this season. That's based on Dwayne Roloson being their No. 1 goalie for the entire season and improvement in their defensive play.

9. Nashville's Blake Geoffrion will be a factor in the rookie of the year race.

10. Owner Terry Pegula will be Buffalo's MVP this season. He has put a charge into the organization in an intelligent way.

I've highlighted my favs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really dont think he went out on a limb for any of those.. maybe the geoffrion one, but i dont know him so that could be obvious too

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure on number two. Something about counting chickens before they hatch. Sure the Oilers have some solid young talent but that doesn't always mean that they will keep them all and have them develop as expected. Plus I think they need some defense before I can get too excited.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really dont think he went out on a limb for any of those.. maybe the geoffrion one, but i dont know him so that could be obvious too

3 and 4 almost seem like they contradict each other.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 and 4 almost seem like they contradict each other.

ya, a bit definitely.. but hemsky will be talked about in trade rumors for the whole season.. doan only around the deadline.. that's how i read it anyway

Rossinole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those except number two seem like reasonable predictions.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those except number two seem like reasonable predictions.

really if you look at it as a list of predictions for this year.. its really only 9 predictions.. #2 is more or less a statement of the oilers having talent, but it needs time to develop haha

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim made a good point that all of the young talent is up front, but I think that's the toughest to fill out. If they can string together two strong seasons based on them, then some of the veteran FAs may have some interest in short-term deals.

Now, I wouldn't go as far as saying they'd win a Cup. That would be during a time when Stamkos, Hedman, Myers, Toews, Seguin, Skinner, Crosby, Malkin, Backstom and Ovechkin will all be in their prime as well. Hard to argue with Edmonton's talent being better than all of them for a year.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daddy, Ducky... same thing. Ducky is pretty cool..

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure on number two. Something about counting chickens before they hatch. Sure the Oilers have some solid young talent but that doesn't always mean that they will keep them all and have them develop as expected. Plus I think they need some defense before I can get too excited.

Yup, and a goalie wouldn't hurt either...

/I think Lowebellini are scouting the Arizona Penal League...

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9. Nashville's Blake Geoffrion will be a factor in the rookie of the year race.

Not many college players come in and win the Calder, but if anyone can do it it's Geoffrion.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember someone with 'Duck' in their name that posted as a Penguins fan. We could be talking about different people.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember someone with 'Duck' in their name that posted as a Penguins fan. We could be talking about different people.

Maybe you mean miamiforlife81 who has the Miami Hurricanes mascot as his avatar?!?

MiamiHurricanesMascot.jpg