• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A "Victory in the Bank" - A Radical New Playoff Idea

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel honored that I had the same quote quoted twice by the same poster!

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the auto-win should be awarded via random drawing, or given to the team that raises the most money for a charity.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call this the "Victory in the Bank" system.

It works as follows:

The team that finishes first in each conference gets an automatic win that they can apply in the playoffs.

RULES:

The automatic win would have to be applied at the beginning of a series, not halfway through. (ie: Phone call to Gary Bettman prior to the start of the series. "Yes, we're using it." or "No, we're saving it." Click.

Teams that decide to save their automatic win for a later round take a tremendous risk in doing so (because they might be eliminated), but the rewards are greater if they can use it against a tougher opponent later.

The 2-2-1-1-1 playoff format would be observed and would play out as usual. Games 2,3 at home for the #1 team, 4,5 on the road, etc. No home playoff dates lost.

This gives a tremendous added bonus to the team that finishes #1 by allowing them to begin their series up 1-0. It also creates some incredible playoff strategy between rounds and would lead to more interesting discussion.

Should both #1 teams meet in the Stanley Cup final, and both still having their automatic wins saved, the two will cancel each other out and the series will begin 0-0, not 1-1.

Why have it? I believe that the #1 team should have more to separate them from the #8 team than just home ice advantage.

Did you eat paint chips as a child??

:der:

WordsOfWisdumb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So using your moronic logic, since the Penguins will lead the league in goals scored this season, i think they should be given an automatic 1-0 lead (a free goal) in every playoff game this post-season.

/Am i doing it right?

How would YOU do it differently? I'm waiting to hear something that I never hear from other users: ORIGINAL THOUGHT. All I see is a flock of pigeons that rush to dump on other people's ideas. Anyone can be a forum pigeon.

I am all about REWARDING SUCCESS and PUNISHING FAILURE.

WordsOfWisdumb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We agree, that's pretty much what we've been doing.

The current system pits the #1 team against the #8 team. Why? The idea is that the strongest team is rewarded by facing the weakest team.

*HOWEVER*

With so much parity in the league now, there is little (if anything) to separate #5 from #8. They are all roughly equal in strength.

(Anyone care to debate this statement?)

If not, then we proceed to find a way to provide greater advantage to the #1 other than simply being #1 and facing #8. There are many ways this could be done. I have listed ONE method. :)

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone else see a passive/aggressive style and similarity to "douchebagwhoshallnotbenamed" going on here....

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just making the rich richer at the expense of the poor.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, I guess this guy really doesn't want to debate actual ideas, just pimping himself for kicks. Probably jerks off in the mirror.
Carry on, hockey peeps. Back to the cooler for me.