• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A ref involved in Deflategate is working the Super Bowl,Patriot fans are already losing their minds

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk actually does appear to try and slow down and change directions in this play, his momentum made it hard for him to but the hold certainly played a role... But yes that was an underthrown ball by Brady... If it were slightly higher I am wondering what the outcome would have been
Fair enough. A better throw, and yes, the outcome certainly could have been different.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. A better throw, and yes, the outcome certainly could have been different.

in the grand scheme of things that play means nothing (in before someone say's, well the patriots would have had home field, yada yada...) the patriots still have a shot to go the Super Bowl if they can take care of the Broncos....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now I'm just floored. Your respect was so important to me.

We'll just have to disagree Cincy...I'm convinced that Gronk could have at least gotten a hand on it and that's not the kind of play that "uncatchable" was created for. Odell's one hander from last year, in a similar gif, would appear to be just as uncatchable.
It's all good. Good discussion(s).

The only thing I'll say with ODB's catch is that, yeah, it might have been ruled uncatchable simply because I don't think you can make a call based on a player going above and beyond any normal expectation, if you know what I'm saying. You can't just assume any player, no matter how great they are, is making a spectacular play on the ball. I would think that uncatchable means that with a normal amount of effort, the ball would not be catchable, which definitely apply to Gronk's play since, again, he had 2 DB's between him and the ball, one in which caught the ball well after the point to where Gronk would have been without any interference.

But, I do see your point, and it's just as valid.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the grand scheme of things that play means nothing (in before someone say's, well the patriots would have had home field, yada yada...) the patriots still have a shot to go the Super Bowl if they can take care of the Broncos....

? That game wasn't this year Red

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
? That game wasn't this year Red

yeah I was getting my years mixed up... That and I am at work (walk in duty) so not really paying attention

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk actually does appear to try and slow down and change directions in this play, his momentum made it hard for him to but the hold certainly played a role... But yes that was an underthrown ball by Brady... If it were slightly higher I am wondering what the outcome would have been
They reviewed that play on ESPN's Sports Science and concluded that Gronk would have had a good chance to make the catch if he was not held.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good. Good discussion(s).

The only thing I'll say with ODB's catch is that, yeah, it might have been ruled uncatchable simply because I don't think you can make a call based on a player going above and beyond any normal expectation, if you know what I'm saying. You can't just assume any player, no matter how great they are, is making a spectacular play on the ball. I would think that uncatchable means that with a normal amount of effort, the ball would not be catchable, which definitely apply to Gronk's play since, again, he had 2 DB's between him and the ball, one in which caught the ball well after the point to where Gronk would have been without any interference.

But, I do see your point, and it's just as valid.

That's why we don't expect refs to make that split second decision. Uncatchable should be reserved for balls that are sailing convincingly out of reach.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise your hand if you need help locating the Referee and an explanation of his responsibility on the above play...:suds:

Raise your hand if you have any idea where jarntt's auto-argue program is leading us.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
download.jpg
Raise your hand if you have any idea where jarntt's auto-argue program is leading us.

The play you question had nothing to do with the referee...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO now we have New England fans pissed that the NFL is not helping their cause?
Why? Because the NFL didn't cover your ass so many times before? Rams, Philly, Carolina Superbowls..

The joke in this whole fucking escapade is the NFL. Mine as well be DC politics scheming for one team or against the other. Is asking for "straight" played game for once that much to ask? :wtf:

Even though I like some Pats fans on tHoop, I don't feel sorry for the Patriots at all.

@Rex Racer @sonnyblack65 @Debbie Does @Rock Strongo @NEhomer

burt finger.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball should have never been thrown Gronks way. That's a fact. Peace.

I agree with this statement. Also that it was uncatchable :kissass:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO now we have New England fans pissed that the NFL is not helping their cause?
Why? Because the NFL didn't cover your ass so many times before? Rams, Philly, Carolina Superbowls..

The joke in this whole fucking escapade is the NFL. Mine as well be DC politics scheming for one team or against the other. Is asking for "straight" played game for once that much to ask? :wtf:

Even though I like some Pats fans on tHoop, I don't feel sorry for the Patriots at all.

@Rex Racer @sonnyblack65 @Debbie Does @Rock Strongo @NEhomer

View attachment 80262

SJ please don't lump a few pussies into a whole group. Who gives a rat's ass about refs, previous SB's, how many Lombardi, calls or injuries, it is what it is

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncatchable true so no PI, but you can't make that type of contact or hold after 5 yards. Right call should have been holding ,5 yard penalty. The ref threw the flag and the other refs had him pick it back up, It is what it is.
Defensive holding and illegal contact are pre pass penalties. Once the pass is in the air, it's either pass interference or nothing.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ please don't lump a few pussies into a whole group. Who gives a rat's ass about refs, previous SB's, how many Lombardi, calls or injuries, it is what it is

Fucking pussies!!

I agree who gives a fuck about all the Superbowls New England "won" :spy:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine as well be DC politics scheming for one team or against the other.

Does anyone know a SportsHoopla interpreter? :noidea:

I'll leave this pile of turd discussion by once more pointing out that "not likely to catch" and "uncatchable" are two separate things.

Of course the Pats have been the recipients of bad calls. Bring one up like the egregious hold that allowed Brady's miracle come back against the Saints a few years back and I'll cop to it. Some of you dudes will blindly argue anything against the Pats while calling all Pats fans blind homers.

How on earth did the zebras miss this?!

SaintsPatriotsGaletteHolding.jpg