• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A read on in-state recruiting from August 2018

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska's in-state recruiting collapse was worse than you think. Scott Frost won't find a quick fix

I was looking for something else when I found this article.

You Nebraska guys probably have already read it.

From the article, this was the most interesting

"The 1997 Huskers — more than any team in the modern era — were homegrown. Tennessee’s roster listed 97 total players. Nebraska’s roster listed 110 in-state players. They came from 57 towns, including 22 map dots smaller than 1,000 people.

Nine native sons started on offense alone: three from the Omaha metro area, two from Lincoln, two from Columbus, Frost from Wood River and fullback Joel Makovicka from Brainard, where he played eight-man football. The rest of the 110 weren’t exactly tackling dummies. Seventy lettered, including 47 in 1997. Twenty-seven became regular starters before graduation. Seven made the NFL. Two became All-Americans. Eric Crouch won a Heisman Trophy."

Then came Frank Solich, Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, and Mike Riley.

“These new coaches thought the bigger, better players are in California, Texas and Florida, and Nebraska kids can’t play. That really hurt them.

“If you’re in Omaha or Lincoln or even Battle Creek or Norfolk Catholic, you think they don’t want you so you find other places to go.”

What has Scott Frost done?

2018 19 Walk ons Nebraska football 2018 walk-on class

2019 18 walk ons from Nebraska

Class of 2019 - Nebraska football recruits

add in the walk ons from Colorado, Ryan Kinney Jeff Kinney grandson, Zach Weinmaster grandson of Kerry Weinmaster and brother of Jacob Weinmaster

add in Sam Shurtleff from Georgia a huge Nebraska fan

add in Josh Wegener from Iowa who wants to prove himself in the big leagues and why not try it at Rimington's school.

That is 37 kids and young men that actually want to play at Nebraska because they are from Nebraska.

I did not look up anything from the previous four coaches, but there was a chart in that top link.