• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A question on the Marchand hit...

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I posted video clips showing "textbook" hip compared to the Marchand hit and they were identical. I guess the difference is most hip checks, the person delivering them are skating backwards and deliver the hit in a sidewards movement, where Marchand was skating forwards and bent down to deliver a low hit. I totally disagree with anyone saying he clipped Salo at the knees as the video clearly shows he hit him on the upper thigh/hip area. BOTH hits can be dangerous and cause injury. Hip checks are rarely throw these days and the receiving player is almost always unaware the hit is coming and take a nasty spill. Shanny has been inconsistent in the past in handing out suspensions. Some of the stuff he's let go and also suspended players for is ridiculous. Injury should NOT be a factor in whether or not a player is suspended or length of suspension.

Hip checks are a lost art in this league. They are difficult to pull off, but if done correctly you get in a good clean hit. Hip to hip is fine. Marchand went shoulder to knees. Not fine.

The end result may look the same, but it is different. Typically hip checks both guys are taken out, and may even fall on top of one another. This check was just Marchand getting low and using an unfair advantage to flip him.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hip checks are a lost art in this league. They are difficult to pull off, but if done correctly you get in a good clean hit. Hip to hip is fine. Marchand went shoulder to knees. Not fine.

The end result may look the same, but it is different. Typically hip checks both guys are taken out, and may even fall on top of one another. This check was just Marchand getting low and using an unfair advantage to flip him.

As long as you keep saying Marchand hit his knees, we'll have to agree to disagree as, IMO, the replays show Marchand hitting Salo in the upper thigh and hip/pelvic area.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you keep saying Marchand hit his knees, we'll have to agree to disagree as, IMO, the replays show Marchand hitting Salo in the upper thigh and hip/pelvic area.

He did hit the upper thigh area. The problem was that he hit that area with his shoulder, not his hip. It was a bad hit both in form and the fact that Salo didn't have the puck.

It didn't look like a "clip" to me, but it was a bad hit.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I see should on the side of the knee. First glance is a shot to the upper leg, but he is ducking lower and lower as the hit progresses. What I see is him hitting the top/side of Salo's knee.

While concussions are bad, this could have done serious ligament damage to the knee.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see some comments on clipping, but I have never heard of that rule in 20+ years of watching and 23 years of playing....hmm....

Official Rules - Rule 44: Clipping - NHL.com - Rules

Rule 44 - Clipping

44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted video clips showing "textbook" hip compared to the Marchand hit and they were identical. I guess the difference is most hip checks, the person delivering them are skating backwards and deliver the hit in a sidewards movement, where Marchand was skating forwards and bent down to deliver a low hit. I totally disagree with anyone saying he clipped Salo at the knees as the video clearly shows he hit him on the upper thigh/hip area. BOTH hits can be dangerous and cause injury. Hip checks are rarely throw these days and the receiving player is almost always unaware the hit is coming and take a nasty spill. Shanny has been inconsistent in the past in handing out suspensions. Some of the stuff he's let go and also suspended players for is ridiculous. Injury should NOT be a factor in whether or not a player is suspended or length of suspension.

Pretty sure most people don't use their shoulders in a hip check, or skate forward. A well thrown, well timed hip check is not a significantly larger injury threat than any other check. This one was. Marchand pretended to play the puck, and instead took the man. That's pretty low. I don't buy any claims of "defensive reaction" because of exactly the reasons Shanny said - the earlier tussle, and the fact that Salo was coming in with all the force and menace of a mildly perturbed Daniel Briere. So the hit, legal or not, was deliberate.

In Shanny's review video, if you pause at 0:36, it shows a zoomed-in freeze of Marchand making contact with Salo's knee. You'll recognize it because it will be the point where Shanahan's monotone sounds exactly like is does during the rest of the video. Also the knee thing. That's clipping, and it's in the books, even if it's rarely called. Ideally it's rarely called because it doesn't happen much anymore.

In any case, certainly worthy of a penalty and a suspension. Dunno if 5 games was the best length, but it isn't terribly excessive, either.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure most people don't use their shoulders in a hip check, or skate forward. A well thrown, well timed hip check is not a significantly larger injury threat than any other check. This one was. Marchand pretended to play the puck, and instead took the man. That's pretty low. I don't buy any claims of "defensive reaction" because of exactly the reasons Shanny said - the earlier tussle, and the fact that Salo was coming in with all the force and menace of a mildly perturbed Daniel Briere. So the hit, legal or not, was deliberate.

In Shanny's review video, if you pause at 0:36, it shows a zoomed-in freeze of Marchand making contact with Salo's knee. You'll recognize it because it will be the point where Shanahan's monotone sounds exactly like is does during the rest of the video. Also the knee thing. That's clipping, and it's in the books, even if it's rarely called. Ideally it's rarely called because it doesn't happen much anymore.

In any case, certainly worthy of a penalty and a suspension. Dunno if 5 games was the best length, but it isn't terribly excessive, either.

I'm done talking about it. He'll be back in time for the Philly game next Saturday.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the video, it was definitely clipping. He led with his shoulder, made contact with the knee, and exploded through the check upwards, which is not a characteristic of a hip check. That's a dangerous play, and while 5 games may be longer than necessary, the hit looked awfully malicious.