• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A not so good Wade Phillips report

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be fair. I don't think it's Elway "not wanting" to retain Phillips.

It's where Phillips "wants to go", I am sure the first thing Elway would say is, if you can talk him into staying, be my guest, but you have to remember when you're an assistant coach you have a criteria you need to match up with what other changes are being made around you. Phillips wants to work with an offensive minded HC and have full control of the D. I don't blame him, and in Elway's defense, the right HC his his #1 priority and then build out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be fair. I don't think it's Elway "not wanting" to retain Phillips.

It's where Phillips "wants to go", I am sure the first thing Elway would say is, if you can talk him into staying, be my guest, but you have to remember when you're an assistant coach you have a criteria you need to match up with what other changes are being made around you. Phillips wants to work with an offensive minded HC and have full control of the D. I don't blame him, and in Elway's defense, the right HC his his #1 priority and then build out.

Agree with this. Wade wants that full control and wants the recognition for being the top DC in football. That is a big reason that if Vance Joseph gets hired it is almost a certainty that Wade is gone. If Shanahan is hired I give it a 50/50 chance that he stays or goes.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I hope it's Shanny, because Vance hasn't shown jack shit when it comes to running a defense

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wade also wants to be paid as the highest DC regardless of HC, Elway will say see ya Wade.
I'm pretty sure there is conflict right now between Elway and Wade interms of compensation otherwise they would have extended Wade before Kubiak even before retiring

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wade also wants to be paid as the highest DC regardless of HC, Elway will say see ya Wade.
I'm pretty sure there is conflict right now between Elway and Wade interms of compensation otherwise they would have extended Wade before Kubiak even before retiring

Yes, that is another obstacle involved. Great point. The money side of things... This isn't about Elway not wanting Wade back.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Musgrave out in OAK. Will their DC be next?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I hope it's Shanny, because Vance hasn't shown jack shit when it comes to running a defense

Please explain?

He took perhaps the worst Defense going into the NFL season and made them into a playoff team in one year.. (it wasn't just him, but he took a very poor D and made them respectable in one year) He had the worst secondary in the league coming in and turned them into well not special, but as well as he could have with what he had. Explain your comment to me please so I can hear you out instead of just firing off the information. I want to know why you feel this way.

He did a heck of a job with the Bengals secondary and when he left them they took a pretty big hit this season. If you're concerned about inexperience, I get that. I have that concern too, but I want to know why you feel he hasn't shown jack shit when it comes to a running defense. Give me examples/reasons for this thought. I've been pretty impressed with what he has done with what he has had to work with in his 3 stints in the NFL... Does it mean he will be a GREAT coach? Nope, only one way to find out. But I am feeling the confidence in him, like any coach, I also have my concerns. I just want more information as to your reason for this comment.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Musgrave out in OAK. Will their DC be next?

It seems expected that they will be looking for a new D-Cord... I wonder where Musgrave ends up. I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for the update.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems expected that they will be looking for a new D-Cord... I wonder where Musgrave ends up. I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for the update.

Ian Rappaport is saying everything he's heard indicates that their D-Coordinator will be back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, keep in mind.

Vance Joseph was Elway's first choice of D cord... The Bengals then blocked him from coming here, so we hired Phillips.

Yeah, so like he likes Vance Joseph.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rappaport is saying everything he's heard indicates that their D-Coordinator will be back.

Oh wow- Interesting twist... So Ken Norton will remain a Raider huh? I don't think that is a good or bad thing.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wade leaves his d cord tenure will last as long as his HC tenure here. 2 years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I understand even more so than money the issue was the Broncos felt like Wade was part of the issue in the divide between the offense and defense. He was part of the conversation with his players getting them riled up about the situation. Elway was none too happy hearing that this was happening.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all I got to say is I am sick and tired of New staff each year . The DC being gone each year cost us year in and year out.

I would rather give wade the Head Coaching job then let him go .

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all I got to say is I am sick and tired of New staff each year . The DC being gone each year cost us year in and year out.

I would rather give wade the Head Coaching job then let him go .
Lunacy I say! Even Wade knows that ain't his gig.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade is not a head coach, he even admitted that after his last job.

jdlewis777

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well statistically (not end all be all) the Bengals were not a highly rated unit, but I recall him developing good CBs but that doesn't show me he can develop and run a unit to success. Same with D, Fox took over a putrid talent base in Chicago with zero offensive support and were respectable.

It isn't to say he isn't a good coach, he is clearly well thought of, but you are taking over a Super Bowl team with elite D and the expectation is that he will continue to maintain and build it, along with the rest of the team and I think it is fair for fans to be a bit skeptical when he hasn't had quite the level of success that Shanahan has for instance. I think fans would be skeptical of him if he hadn't had readily apparent success at each stop. We are lay people with no way to really know how good these guys will be as a head coach. I think some fans, me included, aren't as comfortable with Joseph's track record, but if that is Elways choice and I think he has probably earned the benefit of the doubt. :dhd:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done really well in a short time with the units he has worked with. He hasn't inherited good D's but he has made them respectable. I like his trend, he just hasn't been at once place too long to see the full end results. I am confident in his ability, and I want to see him get the opportunity to prove himself.