• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: A nice jacket for a dirty F'er. Home and Home

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight in Philly, Saturday in Columbus - Let's keep the thread going for both.

Two teams that on paper should be much higher up than they are.

The Jackets, who now travel exclusively by med-evac chopper, and the Flyers who are getting constantly Hockey God Smacked for avoiding the cap with Pronger's contract :)

Now division rivals, and frequent trading partners in the past, there are storylines galore. The biggest ones in net.

Steve Mason - Once the golden child of Columbus, stumbled and got chased out of town on a rail, probably unfairly. He has found his game under Jeff Reese and found his maturity in Philly and is having a breakout year. Facing him could be bittersweet for Jackets fans. I, for one, am happy he's gotten it together. But I wish him to fall on his face the next two.

Sergei Bobrovski - A rookie who did not get along with the batshit crazy starter in Philly, forcing the Flyers to make a choice. They chose to let Bob go and nearly immediately Bryz drifted into complete madness and hallucinations while Bob went out and won himself a Vezina. Shame Bob is hurt, because I really want to see them face each other. Especially if the Jackets play the D system that has made Tabasco and Mike McKenna look like viable NHL goalies (knock wood).

Both teams have done each other favors. The Jackets took Carter off the Flyers hands and in that process gave up a draft pick the F'ers used on Couturier. The Flyers gave up Bobrovski, and got the Jackets out of a jam by taking Mason.

Jackets injuries:
Wisniewski (Saturday), Prout (Couple weeks), Boll (no loss), Foligno (likely to play anyway), Gaborik (hopefully back Thursday), Horton (Getting closer), Bobrovski (A week out), McIlhiney (May play Thurs).

Lets have some good games, boys!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of the first, Jackets get outshot 14-4, out bad called 2-1 but come out on top due to a Cam Atkinson shorty.

1-0 good guys.

Weird thing in the game; one of the bad calls was SO bad that the refs didn't actually know who it was on. Rinaldo charged Umby and caught him high. Refs arm went up, Flyers retained control of the puck and came out of the zone with Mason leaving the net for the extra attacker. Jackets got the puck and the whistle went.

Problem is, the penalty was on the Flyers, not the Jackets.

Open your eyes, ref. You're missing a hell of a game.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2, Jackets up 3-0.

Jack Skellington scored early in the third and then left after blocking a shot with his hand. Went for X-rays, no word yet.

Then Nick Fo-LEEN-O poked one in with 9 seconds left.

Jackets must be playing a solid road game because the Boo Birds RAINED down at the end of the second.

Mason has been sharp.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking terrible effort by the Flyers tonight - pissed the fuck off to no end

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis McIlhinney is not a good goalie.

The Jackets took their foot off the Flyers' throats and paid for it. Hell of a comeback by the F'ers. They win 5-4.

First time since Richards has been coach that the Jackets have lost when leading after 2.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT HAPPENED IT HAPPENED

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT HAPPENED IT HAPPENED

Flyers need to thank McIlhenny for opening the gate. Three softies and one wicked play by Giroux that was also made possible by McIlhenny's horrible mis playing.

Here's the goal, Game Winner...
K9lSL7U.gif

I don't want to take away anything from Giroux, because just getting the shot off, and on net, is a miracle. Seriously goal of the year candidate.

But fellow netminders, help me out. WHY THE FUCK was McIhenny in Post Knee Up with a forward being pushed to the outside and a D-man between him and the puck? Had he just stood up and hugged the post, that puck gently hits the crest.

I guess maybe he was worried about the man in the crease, but if Giroux got a pass off and he is upright, it's an easy poke by turning his hand over.

I showed that one to my son at breakfast and he just said "goalie's fault". He also wasn't happy with the bouncer from the blue line.

The Jackets utterly controlled 45 minutes of that game. Curtis let in a softie to make it 3-2 and the momentum was gone.

I hope we see McKenna in the next one.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers need to thank McIlhenny for opening the gate. Three softies and one wicked play by Giroux that was also made possible by McIlhenny's horrible mis playing.

Here's the goal, Game Winner...
K9lSL7U.gif

I don't want to take away anything from Giroux, because just getting the shot off, and on net, is a miracle. Seriously goal of the year candidate.

But fellow netminders, help me out. WHY THE FUCK was McIhenny in Post Knee Up with a forward being pushed to the outside and a D-man between him and the puck? Had he just stood up and hugged the post, that puck gently hits the crest.

I guess maybe he was worried about the man in the crease, but if Giroux got a pass off and he is upright, it's an easy poke by turning his hand over.

I showed that one to my son at breakfast and he just said "goalie's fault". He also wasn't happy with the bouncer from the blue line.

The Jackets utterly controlled 45 minutes of that game. Curtis let in a softie to make it 3-2 and the momentum was gone.

I hope we see McKenna in the next one.

Uh, I wouldn't go THAT far. The Flyers carried the play in the 1st and 3rd periods overall, outshooting Columbus 30-11 and spending a ton of time in the offensive zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, I wouldn't go THAT far. The Flyers carried the play in the 1st and 3rd periods overall, outshooting Columbus 30-11 and spending a ton of time in the offensive zone.

They got shots, but the Jackets took away their time and space. The shots the Flyers did get were not exactly of the high quality variety.

A lot to the outside and limited second chances. That's what I meant. They didn't let the Flyers be the Flyers.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got shots, but the Jackets took away their time and space. The shots the Flyers did get were not exactly of the high quality variety.

A lot to the outside and limited second chances. That's what I meant. They didn't let the Flyers be the Flyers.

I thought McElhinney played well, especially in the first. When factoring in the shots, chances and zone time for the Flyers early on, I was surprised not to be leading after one.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought McElhinney played well, especially in the first. When factoring in the shots, chances and zone time for the Flyers early on, I was surprised not to be leading after one.

He had a good first period, but he really fell apart in the third. The Flyers, with the fans behind them is a hard avalanche to stop. That was insane. I love watching hockey games in that building, provided I am not actively engaged in it from the opponents' side. :)

Looking forward to Saturday night. The teams are pretty angry at each other right now.

Has Berube said who's in goal? I am curious how Jackets fans welcome Mason back. He was the only bright spot on this team for two years. I hope they give him some respect.

Jake too. Good guys.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emery is due for a start, but he's just not getting it done and this is Masons' moment. I'd be surprised if Steve doesn't get the start again. Voracek has caught fire. 6 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 games. With G and V, it really is becoming that one-two punch that a lot of other good teams have.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emery is due for a start, but he's just not getting it done and this is Masons' moment. I'd be surprised if Steve doesn't get the start again. Voracek has caught fire. 6 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 games. With G and V, it really is becoming that one-two punch that a lot of other good teams have.

I thought it was a mistake to let Jake go when they did it, and with how Carter left us smoldering and bleeding it hurts that much more. Jake's a great player and a good kid.

I think he will definitely get a warm reception. I hope Mase gets the start.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jake has statistically proven that he can be an elite level player in this league to date, but he is still only a young 24 and I feel he's right on the cusp of getting there.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a good first period, but he really fell apart in the third. The Flyers, with the fans behind them is a hard avalanche to stop. That was insane. I love watching hockey games in that building, provided I am not actively engaged in it from the opponents' side. :)

Looking forward to Saturday night. The teams are pretty angry at each other right now.

Has Berube said who's in goal? I am curious how Jackets fans welcome Mason back. He was the only bright spot on this team for two years. I hope they give him some respect.

Jake too. Good guys.

I hope for the Flyers sake, it's Mase, not necessarily because it's his first game back in CBJ but I have a feeling CBJ will be really angry and want to take it out on the Flyers and Ray Emery got shelled in Chicago last time - I think Mase can rise to the challenge against CBJ

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Jackets activated Gaborik and Wisniewski from IR. Jack Skellington did not skate today and is likely out for the next game.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Emery vs. McElhinney. Surprising, but both Ray and Steve have put up some bad numbers as of late. The offense may need to bail them out again.

The Flyers just can't afford to give up so many 2 on 1 rushes on silly, correctable plays. That needs to be addressed in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackets got almost 8 minutes out of Gaborik before he went off again.

Looks like a shoulder this time after he got sammiched.

Dan O'Rourke also got tied up in the play and got a skate to the chest. He left too.

Jackets up 1-0 on a Johansen goal. Gaborik assisted just before he got smooshed.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gaborik's collarbone is broken. 2 months, no Olympics.

If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody beats the Wiz. PP goal in his first game back.

2-0 Jackets.