• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via the LA Times:

"The Lakers will pay Williams roughly $6.7 million in the first year of his contract.

Along with guard D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Jabari Brown and Williams, the Lakers may be more likely to slot in both Kobe Bryant and Nick Young at the vacant small forward position.

The NBA's most recent salary-cap projection given to teams was $67.1 million. A report on CBS Sports suggested it might climb as high as $69.1 million.

If it's the latter, the Lakers have enough salary-cap room to pay both Williams and acquire Roy Hibbert in trade from the Indiana Pacers, a deal agreed to on Saturday.

If the cap is set at $67.1 million, the numbers don't quite work for Williams without the Lakers getting creative.

One option is trading away a player, like Ryan Kelly or Nick Young, to open up additional spending power.

The Lakers can also take advantage of timing. Hibbert is set to earn $15.5 million for the coming season but a trade would give him a 15% bonus, paid by the Pacers. If so, the Lakers would need to accommodate $17.8 million of their cap space to bring in the center.

Hibbert can, however, waive the trade bonus — but only if the Lakers cannot accommodate it within their cap room. If the trade is made before signing Williams, the bonus is in effect.

Should Williams sign first, Hibbert would be able to waive his bonus — a decision that involves turning down $2.3 million — allowing the Lakers to fit both players within a $67.1-million salary cap.

In order to bring in Williams and Hibbert, the Lakers will need to renounce their rights to Carlos Boozer, Jordan Hill, Jeremy Lin and possibly Wesley Johnson, Wayne Ellington and Ronnie Price.

The Lakers still have one significant spending tool remaining, the $2.8-million room exception, after which the franchise can add players via minimum contracts."

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the details:

Given Kobe's health history, this is your likely starting guard for most of the season paired with Russell and Clarkson

If he plays 36 minutes a night in his 20th season, I wouldn't doubt it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now we have this many guards potentially on the roster: Kobe, D'Angelo Russell, Jordon Clarkson, Lou Williams, Jabari Brown, Vander Blue, Jeremy Lin, Ronnie Price, Swaggy, Buycks, Anthony Brown, and Xavier Munford.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bass would be a good pick-up. Somebody is headed to the Pacers in the Hibbert deal. We probably won't know for a couple days as the teams work out eh details of the cap hit and sech.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of decent moves and it looks like their intent on preserving all of that cap space.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just breaking, haven't seen contract details, but Lou Williams and LA agreed to some sort of deal. Good player. He's what Nick Young could have been had he bothered to care about being a professional.

Swaggy P without the knuckleheadedness? I'll take it!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Swaggy has to go. The Hibbert details haven't been completely worked out yet.

If Swaggy can keep his shit together he can still be a valuable asset.

Just wondering if we're going to get a PF? We'd be leaving a huge gap open in that position with both Davis and Boozer gone.

Possibly. As much as I like Swaggy, that celebration and not taking things seriously really seemed to piss Byron off and he pretty well buried him on the bench for the last part of the season. Maybe Swaggy learned from it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Anytime Cuban is involved, I want the Lakers to get as much as they can from that colossal asshole any way they can and let him believe he is getting a good deal.

So, I'm sensing that you don't care for Mark Cuban. :lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked the guy since he tried to screw the Lakers with the Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher incidents.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked the guy since he tried to screw the Lakers with the Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher incidents.

I figured the hatred was because he turned you down on Shark Tank

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll see Kelly and Sacre to the Pacers in the Hibbert deal, pretty much makes his trade kicker a wash. As far as Young, maybe he gets pulled into a 3 way trade with Dallas in a S&T with Lin. Would love to get Justin Anderson from Dallas (or a future pick)...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll see Kelly and Sacre to the Pacers in the Hibbert deal, pretty much makes his trade kicker a wash. As far as Young, maybe he gets pulled into a 3 way trade with Dallas in a S&T with Lin. Would love to get Justin Anderson from Dallas (or a future pick)...

That would be a genius move if they could get Anderson out of Lin. I think it's more likely a future 1st rounder.