• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A L East 2015 thread

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks, but where's he going to fit on the Yankees roster as long as A-Rod and Tex are on it?

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
METS own NYC now..

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD making moves already. Sox get kimbral

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see the Red Sox get Kimbrel, hope we get another impact bat now as well.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News today that the Red Sox may trade Ramirez, I hope the Sox keep Ramirez but if we can get a good return it may be worth it.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News today that the Red Sox may trade Ramirez, I hope the Sox keep Ramirez but if we can get a good return it may be worth it.

They will have to eat a lot of $$$$$ on that deal. He is owed $66mm over the next 3 and has a $22mm vesting option for 2019. Bat will translate well to DH, but attitude a major stumbling block in a trade.

I think the return depends on how much money we pay back in the deal. With Papi retiring, I like the bat at DH in 2017, but he is a clubhouse cancer. I remember the Sox saying that Papi would take Han-Ram under his wing and keep him on the "straight and narrow". If Papi couldn't do it, then who will once Papi retires?

I'll take a bullpen arm for him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better news today with the signing of Price and Young. Price is a great ace pitcher and Chris Young is a decent bat.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox Projected Lineup, Rotation, and Bullpen (all subject to Dombrowski's wims)

Lineup
Betts - RF
Pedroia - 2B
Bogaerts - SS
Ortiz - DH
Ramirez - 1B (chuckle chuckle)
Sandoval - 3B (chunky chunky)
Bradley - CF
Swihart - C
Castillo - RF

I certainly love the top 4. Ramirez and Sandoval (like last season) hold the keys to the offense. If they hit like they have in the past (pre-2015), we have a top 5 offense, and we can work an opposing staff and bullpen.

Bradley, Swihart, and Castillo all come with question marks, but if the top 6 hit, we don't need more than good defense, and the occasional RBI from these guys.

Rotation
Price
Buchholz
Miley
Porcello
Ed-Rod

You can flip Buchy and Porcello if you like, but I listed Buchy 2nd because he is the better pitcher when healthy. I also went L-R-L-R-L with the rotation. Of course, that doesn't matter too much because Ed-Rod and Price would still pitch back to back. I went with Ed-Rod 5th because the Sox can better limit his innings from the last spot with skipped and pushed back starts.

Owens, Johnson (when healthy) and Wright give us decent options in the minors in case of injury, or when a spot starter is needed.

Bullpen
Kimbrel - R
Uehara - R
Tazawa - R
Kelly - R
Barnes - R
Light/Hembree - R
Ross - L
Layne -LOOGY

Solid 7th to 9th inning options here with Koji getting equally important 8th inning outs setting up Kimbrel. Barnes and Kelly add some much needed power arms to the bullpen. I think Kelly can excel as a one inning guy throwing 97-98 mph. I hope the Sox hold onto him. I also like Workman here once he recovers from TJ surgery around mid-season. And Pat Light could be given a shot to earn a spot in the spring vs. Heath Hembree if nobody else is brought in. We do need a stronger lefty presence, though.

My fear about Kimbrel is that he gave up a career high 6 HR's in 2015 and now he will pitch with the Green Monster behind him.

Bench
Holt - can play everywhere, but I would trade him while value is at highest
Young - can back up all 3 OF spots, and platoon with Bradley Jr.
Hanigan/Vasquez - both solid defensively and can hit a little
Shaw - him making the team depends on if the Sox carry an 8th reliever. He can back up Hanley at 1B, Papi (with Ramirez to DH), and in a pinch, Sandoval at 3B. Also a nice pinch hitting lefty presence.

Minors
I'm not going to run through our top minor leaguers, just the guys that are likely next to get the call in case of injury.

Owens - SP
Wright - SP
Johnson - SP
Marrero - INF
Craig - INF/OF? - unless he can be traded
Rutledge - INF
Cecchini - 3B

None of our top prospects are ready for the majors and many will likely be in High A or Double-A.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox should absolutely look into Henderson Alvarez (who was non-tendered by the Marlins). Could be that his shoulder injury is worse than it appears, but it's also possible the Marlins are just being cheap (shocking, I know). He doesn't strike anyone out, but he does a good job limiting walks and keeping the ball on the ground.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox should absolutely look into Henderson Alvarez (who was non-tendered by the Marlins). Could be that his shoulder injury is worse than it appears, but it's also possible the Marlins are just being cheap (shocking, I know). He doesn't strike anyone out, but he does a good job limiting walks and keeping the ball on the ground.

Not a fan of Alvarez back in the AL. He doesn't possess a K pitch, and besides, who would you bump for him? I like all of our options more than him, and even prefer our options in the minors.

if the Sox want to get creative, take a shot with JBJ, Henry Owens, and Holt for Shelby Miller. 3 years of control for a 25 yr old pitcher.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross Atkins new Jays' GM.

Might as well just change our name to the Indians now. I'm sure Mike Hargrove will be managing this team in a matter of weeks.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the Jays make a pitch for one of the Indian's young arms? Bauer or Carrasco?

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better news today with the signing of Price and Young. Price is a great ace pitcher and Chris Young is a decent bat.
Two words for you: Carl Crawford. I've watched Price for years. He's a goofy, happy go lucky guy with thin skin. That town is a bad fit for him, as is the ball park. I like Price and don't wish him ill, but I think his Boston experience isn't going to be a good one.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words for you: Carl Crawford. I've watched Price for years. He's a goofy, happy go lucky guy with thin skin. That town is a bad fit for him, as is the ball park. I like Price and don't wish him ill, but I think his Boston experience isn't going to be a good one.

Hope you're wrong but Price's playoff performances concern me as well. Oh well we shall see. Still think the team needs a bat before I think we will win the AL East.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're wrong but Price's playoff performances concern me as well. Oh well we shall see. Still think the team needs a bat before I think we will win the AL East.

playoff performance is completely unpredictable.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still confused why the Yanks gave away 2 of their best pen guys. Warren move I understood. That Justin Wilson trade was garbage