• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Hypothetical Question for Hockey Fans

What would you do if your team was relocated?

• Total voters

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Sacramento Kings being on the brink of moving their franchise there has been a lot of talk about fan allegiance. Would I stay a fan of the Kings Franchise, would I pick a new team, or would I stop supporting the NBA all together?

As far as my interest in the NBA goes I barely follow the Kings so I will stop supporting the league if the Kings move but it got me thinking about what I would do if the Sharks ever moved.

If your favorite (or favourite for our speeling impared Canadian brothers :D) franchise was relocated what would you do?

Options:

• Continue to follow the franchise
  • Pick a new team to root for
  • Discontinue your support of the NHL but still follow hockey
  • Stop following hockey all together
  • Become a hopeless alcoholic while sitting alone in a dark room wishing cancer on the evil midget commissioner who allowed this to happen

Bonus question: If you did pick a new team to root for, which team would you pick and why?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a toughie. If you had to make a list of five franchises that would probably never relocate, my team would probably be on that list, so it's hard to fathom. My gut tells me I would still follow the franchise, but part of me thinks I would be so pissed at the league for letting it happen that I would turn to the NCAA, AHL, and junior leagues. If I had a lest vested interest in my team, I might pick a new closer team to follow but that would be Chicago... so fuck that.

edit: wtf am I doing? :L:L

Last edited by a moderator:

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still follow the team. It's not much different when you move across the country for work, you don't normally change what team you root for.

I might have an increased interest in other sports that remained in my area, but I wouldn't abandon the Sharks.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY! Your poll does not have all the options!

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, that depends...if they move because a new owner wanted to move them then fuck that team. If they move due to poor attendance than fuck the other fans for not showing up but I'll still support them.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to say that I would follow the Sharks but I am not sure I would. Even though I don't follow the Kings currently I have a lot of anger towards the organization right now. I was pissed when they moved the Earthquakes out of San Jose, I really haven't watched any MLS games since then.

I honestly think that I might pick a new team. If an organization shows that it cares more about a potential fan base in another area enough to dismiss my support then I don't feel the obligation to continue to give it, I guess. I am kind of working this out as I go.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like being able to attend games of the team I follow...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Eddie said though, my team would never move.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens would of moved to kansas city, I probably would have started rooting for the Sabres in the east.

I'm already a closet L.A. Kings fan, so I wouldn't have had to move loyalties around in the west. It would have been difficult to root for the K.C. Pens (vomit).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
depends on HOW the team moved. If they were totally fucked over by their owner (Minnesota North Stars), I'd probably sever ties with that team and gradually drift towards another. If it just didn't work, due to attendance, and the owner basically ran out of $$$, I would probably continue to support the team in their new location... probably for as long as the bulk of the current roster was still there.

I would still follow the NHL, as it's the best league of the best game that there is.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to say that I would follow the Sharks but I am not sure I would. Even though I don't follow the Kings currently I have a lot of anger towards the organization right now. I was pissed when they moved the Earthquakes out of San Jose, I really haven't watched any MLS games since then.

I honestly think that I might pick a new team. If an organization shows that it cares more about a potential fan base in another area enough to dismiss my support then I don't feel the obligation to continue to give it, I guess. I am kind of working this out as I go.

Don't you live like three hours away from San Jose?!

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens would of moved to kansas city, I probably would have started rooting for the Sabres in the east.

I'm already a closet L.A. Kings fan, so I wouldn't have had to move loyalties around in the west. It would have been difficult to root for the K.C. Pens (vomit).

I know... Theres no penguins in KC, only in Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
didn't see your bonus question:

If I had to pick a new team, I don't think it could be one in the west for a long, long time. Lotsa hate built up over the past 40 years.
I have always liked the Flyers / Bruins from the time i started watching hockey (mid 70s), so it would probably be them. In terms of a Canadian team to root for, the Habs are kind of the anti-Leafs, so they might get the nod.

I would also follow the Vancouver Giants (WHL) a lot more closely.

if an NBA team moved, speaking from experience, I wouldn't give a shit.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln, eh? Next time I'm taking a day trip to Tahoe, I'm crashing at your place the night before.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on HOW the team moved. If they were totally fucked over by their owner (Minnesota North Stars), I'd probably sever ties with that team and gradually drift towards another. If it just didn't work, due to attendance, and the owner basically ran out of $$$, I would probably continue to support the team in their new location... probably for as long as the bulk of the current roster was still there.

I would still follow the NHL, as it's the best league of the best game that there is.

I would definitely still follow the NHL too, like you said it is the best league but I don't know if I would follow the same team.

If you did eventually pick another team which one would you root for? Could you pick a former rival? I would have a hard time picking a team away from the west coast. I wouldn't be able to watch any games live and I'm not sure I would handle that adjustment to my schedule very well.

In all honesty I would either pick the Kings or the Avalanche. I started watching hockey with the Av's but they are a time zone away and all of the players that I liked are gone now. Kings are in the time zone and the least of all evils when it comes to division rivals.

HM to the Canucks but I just wouldn't feel right crossing the border ;).

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick another team, it would be the Flames.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if an NBA team moved, speaking from experience, I wouldn't give a shit.

I remember when the Buffalo Braves NBA team moved to be the San Diego Clippers. At that time I liked basketball and the NBA, now I think basketball can be a good game, but the NBA is terrible.

Buffalobraves.jpg