• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 8/4/17 Football is Back, Dodgers Win Again,Porcello Still Sucks

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because playoff baseball is rife with crapshootidity. Anything can happen. The Indians were not a better team than the Red Sox, Blue Jays or Cubs last year (particularly with their injuries during the postseason), yet the results of the post season would suggest otherwise.
So, you've successfully negated your previous statement. Good job.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you've successfully negated your previous statement. Good job.

No, I didn't. I've made no claims as to what will happen in the postseason. I said that the Astros are overrated and not head-and-shoulders the best team in the AL.

Based on the actual outcome of the games that have been played this year, the Astros are not far and away the best team when compared to the other playoff teams. However, that does not mean that they couldn't sweep their way through the playoffs.

Champion is not always synonymous with best.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said otherwise. But at the same time, their team OPS+ (135) is 28 points higher than the 2nd best (Dodgers at 107). They're scoring 5.83 R/G and the 2nd highest scoring team is averaging 5.48. They've faced bad pitching for sure, but that alone doesn't explain how ridiculously good they've been.

You should really take a look at how bad the pitching they've faced has been. It's eye opening and OPS+ and certainly R/G don't fully account for that.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Misleading. When the game is close, their mop up guys stay on the bench. Devenski, Harris, Gregerson and Giles have a combined ERA WHIP of 3.17/1.01

"if you only look at the four best pitchers in their bullpen, it looks a lot better."

No shit.

Boston's and Cleveland's entire bullpen ERAs are lower than the cherry-picked numbers from the Astros. Hell, NYYs is only a shade higher. What do you think would happen if we cherry-picked the best numbers from those bullpens?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
company owner came in for a party (the guy who hired and mentored me here me is retiring)

sales are up 40% since i came on last year and implemented minimum orders (mosed from $100 to # of units, increased our average order size from $300 to over $1000.00) and instituted a lean manufacturing program which has made up 38% more efficient ion production. i took this company from 3 million to what we project at 5 million. next year, 8.

apparently i have a big raise coming...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand being iffy on the Astros pitching, but the rest of the AL has it's flaws. The Red Sox offense has been unimpressive, the Indians rotation outside of Kluber/Carrasco has been meh, Yankees lineup is regressing, etc.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can probably count the number of teams with a better 3-5 on your penis.

Clevinger has a 127 ERA+ in 14 GS
Salazar at 101

Clevinger also has a walk rate of 4.8 (4.9 last year). Stuff's impressive, but the command is an issue IMO.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clevinger also has a walk rate of 4.8 (4.9 last year). Stuff's impressive, but the command is an issue IMO.

I agree, but (provided Kluber, Carassco and Salazar stay healthy) I don't think Clevinger would be getting many starts (if any) in the postseason.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"if you only look at the four best pitchers in their bullpen, it looks a lot better."

No shit.

Boston's and Cleveland's entire bullpen ERAs are lower than the cherry-picked numbers from the Astros. Hell, NYYs is only a shade higher. What do you think would happen if we cherry-picked the best numbers from those bullpens?
I never claimed Houston's bullpen was the best nor did I claim it was better than Boston's or Cleveland's. I said it was built for the playoffs. It is. Calm down, gramps. Getting your blood pressure up is not good for you.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
company owner came in for a party (the guy who hired and mentored me here me is retiring)

sales are up 40% since i came on last year and implemented minimum orders (mosed from $100 to # of units, increased our average order size from $300 to over $1000.00) and instituted a lean manufacturing program which has made up 38% more efficient ion production. i took this company from 3 million to what we project at 5 million. next year, 8.

apparently i have a big raise coming...
If they hadn't implemented a LEAN program before you came in then they were being run very poorly. You should be negotiating a bonus based on revenue increases.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never claimed Houston's bullpen was the best nor did I claim it was better than Boston's or Cleveland's. I said it was built for the playoffs. It is. Calm down, gramps. Getting your blood pressure up is not good for you.

You were listing reasons why the Astros were so much better than the rest of the AL and you mentioned their bullpen that's "built for the postseason." While that may be true, it's less built for the postseason than the other teams currently with postseason spots, so it was a stupid thing to say in that context.

It's okay, we all say stupid shit from time to time and my blood pressure doesn't rise when it happens.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were listing reasons why the Astros were so much better than the rest of the AL and you mentioned their bullpen that's "built for the postseason." While that may be true, it's less built for the postseason than the other teams currently with postseason spots, so it was a stupid thing to say in that context.

It's okay, we all say stupid shit from time to time and my blood pressure doesn't rise when it happens.
I listed reasons why the 'Astros were so much better than the rest of the AL'? Guess I'll need a link to that one since I don't remember saying that anywhere in any post.

Did I say the Astors bullpen was more built for the postseason than other teams? I'll need a link to that too.

So it was stupid thing to say in the context that you incorrectly paraphrased it in? I agree.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay thanks boss
th

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

If they hadn't implemented a LEAN program before you came in then they were being run very poorly. You should be negotiating a bonus based on revenue increases.
people used to do a sensor from start to finish, now i set up cells. Jobs move cell to cell vs one person. 100X more efficient.

ive increased our deliverables, reduced lead times from 4 weeks, to just under 2 on average. add to that, 2 people are leaving...the 2 chicks i work with. just me n' the guy i hired (neighbor). floating til Q4 when we will hire more.

this place was grossly mismanaged under the old ownership. "lifestyle" company...earns enough to maintain his lifestyle, didnt care about growth...or efficient manufacturing.

new ownership does, but needed help.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listed reasons why the 'Astros were so much better than the rest of the AL'? Guess I'll need a link to that one since I don't remember saying that anywhere in any post.

In response to my post saying that I thought the Astros were overrated and not head and shoulders better than the rest of the AL, you posted:

LOL. Two of their top three hitters currently DLed. Their top two pitchers spend lengthy time on the DL. Still on a pace to win 100. This team is very, very deep and they have a bullpen built for the post season.

Did you list them out using bullet points? No, but that's what you were doing.

Did I say the Astors bullpen was more built for the postseason than other teams? I'll need a link to that too.

So it was stupid thing to say in the context that you incorrectly paraphrased it in? I agree.

So, what was the point of mentioning how their bullpen is built for the postseason when it is less built for the postseason than the other potential playoff teams/best teams in the AL?

That's more retarded than just not knowing how their bullpen stacks up to the other potential playoff teams.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the mod.

It was more tongue in cheek.

But still....soccer is for losers.

I will never understand the love of soccer...anywhere.

It has half the IQ of baseball and way less real action.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more tongue in cheek.

But still....soccer is for losers.

I will never understand the love of soccer...anywhere.

It has half the IQ of baseball and way less real action.
It's because they wear short shorts and we like it.