• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 7.9 DeGromly Thread: Is this kid awesome or do the Red Sox suck?

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, what about a wild pitch or passed ball with no one on base using the same criteria?

Yeah - wild pitch is just a ball. With runners on, the catcher has to get up and chase after it. With no runners on, i've seen the ump just hand the catcher a new ball.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - wild pitch is just a ball. With runners on, the catcher has to get up and chase after it. With no runners on, i've seen the ump just hand the catcher a new ball.
but is it recorded as a ball or a wild pitch?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, what about a wild pitch or passed ball with no one on base using the same criteria?
What about a hit with runners on base? Are those still part of the game? We haven't seen one in Seattle since 2003.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Nothing is a stake so why call it. But a balk with no runners on still has something at stake. If the ump ccalls it, and the pitcher follows through with the pitch and it's a strike - then the would be strike becomes a ball.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but is it recorded as a ball or a wild pitch?

It's recorded as a ball. But the whole terminology is based upon explaining why runners advanced. If there is no runners on, there is no wild pitch/balk.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's recorded as a ball. But the whole terminology is based upon explaining why runners advanced. If there is no runners on, there is no wild pitch/balk.
i get it, but its the same action. a balk is a balk, in terms of motion.

its just labeled differently.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get it, but its the same action. a balk is a balk, in terms of motion.

its just labeled differently.

That's not how the rule is written. But I'll put you in the boat with Ox and Yam.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not how the rule is written. But I'll put you in the boat with Ox and Yam.
like crossing the street...with/without traffic or a signal, its still j walking regardless.

they dont call it f walking...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Thursday.

Have the Padres won this week?

What a fuckin JOKE. :mad2:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Nothing is a stake so why call it. But a balk with no runners on still has something at stake. If the ump ccalls it, and the pitcher follows through with the pitch and it's a strike - then the would be strike becomes a ball.
well done.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like crossing the street...with/without traffic or a signal, its still j walking regardless.

they dont call it f walking...

If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when --
(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;
Rule 8.05(a) Comment: If a lefthanded or righthanded pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher’s rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick-off-play.

This bolded language would be unnecessary if your interpretation of the rule was correct.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a runner, or runners,
it is a balk when --
(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;
Rule 8.05(a) Comment: If a lefthanded or righthanded pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher’s rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick-off-play.

This bolded language would be unnecessary if your interpretation of the rule was correct.
do cottons now.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do cottons now.

It would simply be called a ball.

Rule 8.01(d) Comment: A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

Again, why qualify it with the phrase "men on base" if it was deemed a balk regardless of whether there were men on or not.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would simply be called a ball.

Rule 8.01(d) Comment: A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

Again, why qualify it with the phrase "men on base" if it was deemed a balk regardless of whether there were men on or not.
my guess?

to give scorekeepers clarification. men on base, its a negative stat for the pitcher (the balk). no men on, its still a negative stat for the pitcher (a ball vs a strike).

someones gotta know how to score it, since the same action yields 2 results...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did SD fire Bud Black?

Because Bud's batting average was .000. Everytime he came to the plate he struck out.

And hisERA was 13.77. You can't win many games when the pitcher you put out there has a 13.77 ERA.

And finally, the last reason why he was fired is because the SD GM and ownership are a pack of dumbasses.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Bud's batting average was .000. Everytime he came to the plate he struck out.

And hisERA was 13.77. You can't win many games when the pitcher you put out there has a 13.77 ERA.

And finally, the last reason why he was fired is because the SD GM and ownership are a pack of dumbasses.

I still disagree with that ERA. It was not his fault he was forced to play Sandy Alderson in the field. Nor was it his fault that the Official Scorer feels that if the batter puts wood on the ball it is a hit. That hit should have been an error, which would have made all the runs unearned and his ERA 0.00.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My position is that there is no such thing as a balk UNLESS someone is on base. An action that would have resulted in a balk had someone been on base will be either a ball, a no pitch, or an illegal pitch if no one is on. I think the rules support that interpretation.

It sounds like your position is shit, Cereal.