• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #6 Ohio State at Iowa - 2:30 CT - ESPN

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humility, you should first learn what it is and second put it into practice.
I really don't need to. Regardless of what happened Saturday, we're still Wisconsin's daddy until further notice. Hell, you can even beat us this year. Unless you're winning a NC, you're still below us. Just is what it is.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why Ohio State didn't run the ball more? I get that they were down by 2 scores at the half, but Barrett's proven when there's no threat at a running game, he can't succeed. I was thinking when Ohio State got the ball down 7 right before the half they'd be better off trying not to score, or at least run the ball and to try and get some cushion, and what do you know Barrett throws a pick.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why Ohio State didn't run the ball more? I get that they were down by 2 scores at the half, but Barrett's proven when there's no threat at a running game, he can't succeed. I was thinking when Ohio State got the ball down 7 right before the half they'd be better off trying not to score, or at least run the ball and to try and get some cushion, and what do you know Barrett throws a pick.

The week before, they were in pass-only mode the entire 4th quarter and Barrett didn't throw an incomplete pass...

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Iowa just sat in zone all game and PSU played more man-to-man. Barrett was able to hit them over the top a few times and that normally softens up the defense...but when your defense plays like absolute dog shit and gives up touchdowns on every possession, it doesn't really matter what the offense does.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an upsettingly common thing. Look at Oklahoma earlier this year, Michigan State 2015, Michigan State in the CCG in 2013. Same issues. Dobbins and Weber were shredding Oklahoma and we went away from them almost entirely after our first drive of the 2nd half (which was a great Dobbins TD run). Iowa, not much different. Dobbins averaging 8.5 YPC, so let's go away from him entirely. I can't wrap my head around what they're thinking in these instances.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The week before, they were in pass-only mode the entire 4th quarter and Barrett didn't throw an incomplete pass...

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Iowa just sat in zone all game and PSU played more man-to-man. Barrett was able to hit them over the top a few times and that normally softens up the defense...but when your defense plays like absolute dog shit and gives up touchdowns on every possession, it doesn't really matter what the offense does.

And that game was certainly the exception. My point was he's failed more than succeeded. Enough so where you can't rely on him to do that. Perfect example was tied at 17 after Ohio State got that 4th down conversion, they throw three times, with a sack on 2nd down, have to punt, then the next time they get the ball down a TD, and when they are in a 2 minute offense he throws another INT. Even with 3:00 left on the clock Ohio State should have ran it more, especially because this version of the Ohio State defense is just good and not great or elite.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that game was certainly the exception. My point was he's failed more than succeeded. Enough so where you can't rely on him to do that. Perfect example was tied at 17 after Ohio State got that 4th down conversion, they throw three times, with a sack on 2nd down, have to punt, then the next time they get the ball down a TD, and when they are in a 2 minute offense he throws another INT. Even with 3:00 left on the clock Ohio State should have ran it more, especially because this version of the Ohio State defense is just good and not great or elite.

The defense all year, outside of the OU game, has been very good and even dominant. I don't think anyone will mistake Iowa's offense for OU's.

I agree, normally Barrett isn't the kind of QB that will take over a game and throw for a ton of yards and touchdowns. They need a good balance on offense for him to be successful.

What I'm trying to say is that he struggles most against zone defense, especially if it's packed in. He seems to pick apart man defense fine, but is hesitant vs zones...normally doesn't throw picks like that but will hang on to the ball too long and the offense sputters out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an upsettingly common thing. Look at Oklahoma earlier this year, Michigan State 2015, Michigan State in the CCG in 2013. Same issues. Dobbins and Weber were shredding Oklahoma and we went away from them almost entirely after our first drive of the 2nd half (which was a great Dobbins TD run). Iowa, not much different. Dobbins averaging 8.5 YPC, so let's go away from him entirely. I can't wrap my head around what they're thinking in these instances.

Yeah, I don't get it. It'd be like asking Wimbush to throw 30+ times a game. Wimbush is averaging 24 pass attempts a game, and that's with him throwing it 39 games against UGA, which was our worst offensive performance of the season with him starting.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense all year, outside of the OU game, has been very good and even dominant. I don't think anyone will mistake Iowa's offense for OU's.

I agree, normally Barrett isn't the kind of QB that will take over a game and throw for a ton of yards and touchdowns. They need a good balance on offense for him to be successful.

What I'm trying to say is that he struggles most against zone defense, especially if it's packed in. He seems to pick apart man defense fine, but is hesitant vs zones...normally doesn't throw picks like that but will hang on to the ball too long and the offense sputters out.

I'm saying the defense is good, just not as good as 2015 or 2016, at least IMO. The coaching staff should take that into consideration, and try and possess the ball some. Having Dobbins carry it like 5 times is crazy.

And I would agree with your other assessments. Ohio State was fine controlling the d-line of Iowa with the run game. Maybe it just got away from the coaches too soon?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying the defense is good, just not as good as 2015 or 2016, at least IMO. The coaching staff should take that into consideration, and try and possess the ball some. Having Dobbins carry it like 5 times is crazy.

And I would agree with your other assessments. Ohio State was fine controlling the d-line of Iowa with the run game. Maybe it just got away from the coaches too soon?

Who knows. Might have been hitting the panic button since the defense was ridiculously poor.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't get it. It'd be like asking Wimbush to throw 30+ times a game. Wimbush is averaging 24 pass attempts a game, and that's with him throwing it 39 games against UGA, which was our worst offensive performance of the season with him starting.
I get wanting to utilize JT's arm, but without using the RBs, it's pointless. Oh well. Good luck to your guys.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't understand why OSU kept throwing at Jackson. He's elite. The rest of the guys in the secondary are blah

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it was a ridiculous notion before yall lost again.
No it wasn't. There's a reason both polls resoundingly agreed. Why do you even care? You're a Georgia fan. Piss off.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't. There's a reason both polls resoundingly agreed. Why do you even care? You're a Georgia fan. Piss off.

The only poll that matters agreed with me.

Are you still impressed by all the blow outs OSU had over scrubs?

Getting all defensive and in your feels isn't the way to make me go away. Eat your crow and deal with it like a real man.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only poll that matters agreed with me.

Are you still impressed by all the blow outs OSU had over scrubs?

Getting all defensive and in your feels isn't the way to make me go away. Eat your crow and deal with it like a real man.
I'm impressed by all of Ohio State's wins this year. They were pretty damn impressive. I'm not impressed with 2 losses against two teams who basically out-coached and out-gamed Ohio State. Now, piss off.