• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6-4

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we gotta discuss it fellas. I know a lot was already said on the game thread, but let's talk about it.

There were some good things and some bad things. Our D isn't known for being tremendous, so the yards and points given up doesn't surprise me. But this damned inconsistency in offense fucking boggles my mind. Why does Linehan/Schwartz seem to let up off the gas and change the play-calling and aggressiveness once we take the lead? And I'm not talking about the fake FG. That was aggressive as hell. But we were pretty much stagnant the entire 2nd half. I just don't get it.

As it is, we're still in the division lead and playoff hunt. That loss to Arizona right now is huge. They have the tie break over us. Big game against a TB team that doesn't look anything like it did earlier in the year.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it in the game thread and I"ll say it again now. We have one of the best offenses when trailing and one of the worst when we have the lead. Our offense is built to explode, to play aggressive. Which we do when we are losing and it pays off most of the time. Unfortunately we dont have those short possession receivers who can consistently catch those small routes, we dont have that power back that can pound out yards, and honestly we don't have that QB who is great with screens, and short passes. Overall we arent built for that conservative type play.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've deleted three different posts I had for this thread but then realized any intelligent and well thought out post on this board is just whining.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've deleted three different posts I had for this thread but then realized any intelligent and well thought out post on this board is just whining.

....glad you found a way around that whole whining thing.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am a whiner.

agree that the Lions need to learn a lesson from the Saints and Broncos when it comes to game management. Get the lead and score a TD on every possession and you'll never lose.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...we dont have that power back that can pound out yards...

I agree with all you said accept for this.

Joique is a tough runner. How many times this season have we needed 2 or less yards and Joique didn't get it? That hasn't happened often. Joique + good OL has really made us dependable in short yardage.

Should Joique now be our feature back with Bush playing a complimentary role? I have way more confidence in our offense with Joique back there. He is tough as nails.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fumbles lose games. No reason why Reggie puts it on ground as much as he does. That spoiled what was a strong ground game yesterday. And I don't agree on the different styles of offense aspect. Linehan calls plays. He doesn't execute them. When your QB has 27 incompletions it seems a little ridiculous that people would like to see more passing with the lead. (There was passing in the opening drive of te second half, Calvin was the target. People might have forgotten, since the ball didn't get past the line of scrimmage. And we punted on the next down.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've deleted three different posts I had for this thread but then realized any
intelligent and well thought out post on this board is just whining.

LOL. Given the reaction to your "don't count should-wins until they are actual wins" post on another thread, I can't blame you.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the subject matter at hand, I think the Lions passed plenty in the second half. As happened in the first quarter, Stafford was missing open receivers too much. He also had too many passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, and the problems were compounded by receivers dropping several balls that were right in their hands.

This was a game that was neither a surprise, nor a huge blow to the team. If the Lions lose indoors next week to a putrid Tampa Bay team, then we've got issues.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a loss on the road in bad weather conditions that we could/should have one. Another team loss. The world hasn't ended. Next game up.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a game that was neither a surprise, nor a huge blow to the team. If the Lions lose indoors next week to a putrid Tampa Bay team, then we've got issues.
Agree here. Going in, I had a feeling we'd lose bc it was outdoors and in awful conditions(for the Lions anyway). We often dont play well in harsh conditions. And it was a loss to an AFC team. Next week is a must win, even if it's to a team allegedly worse than us.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the hell was Schwartz thinking????

he will be the sole reason that the Lions will not be as successful as they can be

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, especially given the yardage needed and the sloppy field conditions. But the fake FG was just one of MANY reasons for the loss. The 14 early points given up due to absolutely brutal coverage and worse tackling counted just as much as the 3 points we didn't get late in the game.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB is still bad. A good enough team like DET should do fine and win handily. They beat an overrated, banged up ATL team that just stopped caring about football

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is what it is, which is mediocre at best. No excuses for the missed tackles & such but in wet conditions like that the passing offense has the advantage over the D because they know where they're going and the defense doesn't. Reacting on that slippery stuff is really hard. So imo, this one's on the offense and offensive play-calling. Just terrible execution in the 1st quarter. We should have been up by at least 17 at the half. Staff maybe gets a pass on the long one he missed, though it was wide open. But great QBs miss that swing pass to Reggie maybe a couple of times a year, not once every damn week. Then I don't know wtf the "offensive brain trust" was thinking with the play calling in the 2nd half. They didn't go to Pettigrew at all and went to Calvin I think once before the last desperation drive...and the fake FG, well it may not go down with Marty taking the wind but it's a close 2nd and it WAS the turning point. We should handle the Bucs and the hopefully Rodgers-less Pack and take a couple more after that (Ravens, Giants, Vikes... I think we lose in Philly) to win the division.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poor field conditions hurt Reggie Bush's game a lot. He didn't really get going. We return to the dome and ideal field conditions, that should help. Even though the line did well overall Stafford still had to run around to try to make plays. He didn't make enough throws and ones that he did make were dropped. Hopefully Joique Bell is not hurt bad and will not miss any time. Remember the teams that have won the last few Superbowls are the ones who get hot at the end of the season.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he will be the sole reason that the Lions will not be as successful as they can be

Not sure what he was thinking, but when I saw them try to pull it off, I was thinking "Brilliant!"

Sure, the outcome wasn't what we wanted, but the downside of turning it over at that end of the field said to the team "We (the coaching staff) believe in you guys. If we don't make it, you (Defense) will stop them and you (Offense) will march it back again." So, I guess we could blame Schwartz for finally showing he has a pair and he believes in his team.

It was exciting, unexpected, and perhaps for a team that isn't quite there yet, a turning point to get to where they want to be. I wasn't a big Schwartz fan coming into this year, but that call, regardless of the outcome, improved my opinion of the head coach.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what he was thinking, but when I saw them try to pull it off, I was thinking "Brilliant!"

Sure, the outcome wasn't what we wanted, but the downside of turning it over at that end of the field said to the team "We (the coaching staff) believe in you guys. If we don't make it, you (Defense) will stop them and you (Offense) will march it back again." So, I guess we could blame Schwartz for finally showing he has a pair and he believes in his team.

It was exciting, unexpected, and perhaps for a team that isn't quite there yet, a turning point to get to where they want to be. I wasn't a big Schwartz fan coming into this year, but that call, regardless of the outcome, improved my opinion of the head coach.

Did you see his post game interview VR? If you liked the call, you might like his comments even more.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see his post game interview VR? If you liked the call, you might like his comments even more.

No I didn't. They don't carry the Lions interviews here in Western Wisconsin, especially when the late game is the viqueens. I haven't looked too hard, but maybe I should.