• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.14 HAPPY MATOS DAY

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More projections

We started 6-13. Since then, we've gone 30-19.

If we continue at the 30-19 pace for the rest of the year, even with the 6-13 start, we finish 94-68.
That start was brutal but 30 of the last 49 games have been fun!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That start was brutal but 30 of the last 49 games have been fun!
Very 2010-2012-2014-like. Different hero every night, and closed out with FYWW!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Hjelle will get a look (unless the Giants are desperate). I wonder if Harrison won't get a look until late in the season. I think the Giants are managing his work load with that in mind.

Winn and Beck, as I already mentioned, should get a look before a trade is made. As you mention, the options are not that great right now. Stroman is having a nice season but how many teams are going to be in on hi? Lorenzen overcame a really bad start to the season to be posting good numbers this year but this is his first year he's looked decent as a starter. Feels like a Tyler Anderson situation.
Giolito is on everyone's radar too. The worst thing about the 3rd wildcard though is far fewer sellers and more buyers, makes trades harder to happen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn, Beck, Harrison and maybe Hjelli need a look see before we trade real pieces for a mediocre #3/#4 starter from a team that sucks.
Serious question: Can we sign Bumgarner to the equivalent of the NBA 10-day contract? Even if we had to pay him the rest of the year, it would be for league minimum, like $400k at this point.

I know his metrics completely sucked this year, and that he was literally the worst starter in MLB. But I have to wonder if that was because he just didn't give a shit, and that if he was with us, he WOULD give a shit. He was always better in his prime when it mattered, less so when it didn't.

Not saying he would ever be prime Mad Bum, but if we could get 5 IP/start with an ERA under 4.00, that would help.

The price, availability, and situation are right. Maybe give him a start or two, and if it didn't work out, we could give him a nice sendoff.

Just asking.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question: Can we sign Bumgarner to the equivalent of the NBA 10-day contract? Even if we had to pay him the rest of the year, it would be for league minimum, like $400k at this point.

I know his metrics completely sucked this year, and that he was literally the worst starter in MLB. But I have to wonder if that was because he just didn't give a shit, and that if he was with us, he WOULD give a shit. He was always better in his prime when it mattered, less so when it didn't.

Not saying he would ever be prime Mad Bum, but if we could get 5 IP/start with an ERA under 4.00, that would help.

The price, availability, and situation are right. Maybe give him a start or two, and if it didn't work out, we could give him a nice sendoff.

Just asking.
He is still under contract with the DBacks. And in baseball, there is no such thing as double dipping. If Bum signs somewhere, it can only be for a prorated min contract, and that amount is deducted from what the DBacks have to pay him. He would essentially be playing for free.

The fact he hasn’t signed anywhere yet tells me he is either hurt or done with baseball. Maybe both.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harrison hits, it is possible. Bum was a debut rookie in ‘10. And he was younger than Matos is now.
Sure but he was a 4th starter...and I'm not ready to call Harrison the next MadBum. All I'm saying is, I feel like they should look for someone and not just assume rookies will get it done in the playoffs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but he was a 4th starter...and I'm not ready to call Harrison the next MadBum. All I'm saying is, I feel like they should look for someone and not just assume rookies will get it done in the playoffs
At the right price, of course. But who? And what would it cost? Sellers are in the drivers seat. It could conceivably cost us Luciano for a rental #3…

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the right price, of course. But who? And what would it cost? Sellers are in the drivers seat. It could conceivably cost us Luciano for a rental #3…
That is probably the price. I guess we don't have to push the chips in this year, but playoff years aren't a lock for this team like they are for the Dodgers. Just musing about it, and you're right, without details who knows?

Luciano for someone like Giolito seems like a trade that would work....would we want that? Honestly don't know.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promise MadBum the DH, he'd sign in a NYMinute.... not sure we'd want him to, but that's all it would take

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still under contract with the DBacks. And in baseball, there is no such thing as double dipping. If Bum signs somewhere, it can only be for a prorated min contract, and that amount is deducted from what the DBacks have to pay him. He would essentially be playing for free.

The fact he hasn’t signed anywhere yet tells me he is either hurt or done with baseball. Maybe both.
Given our dearth of starters right now, what do we have to lose to sign Bum for essentially nothing? That is, unless we have to trade somebody for him - I don't know what the rule is. Did we have to compensate the Red Sox when we brought Pablo back? IIRC, Pablo was a free agent once he cleared waivers from Boston, so I don't think we had to compensate Boston to sign him.

I just think there's a good chance, not a certainty I understand, that if you gave him the ball, at home, with the crowd going nuts (and they would), maybe against a lesser team, a very good chance that he would get fired up, and deliver a QS. It's worth a shot, IMO, without a lot of downside.

Unless he's lost his mind, and he would become a clubhouse cancer. That is also a distinct possibility, of living up to his nickname.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given our dearth of starters right now, what do we have to lose to sign Bum for essentially nothing? That is, unless we have to trade somebody for him - I don't know what the rule is. Did we have to compensate the Red Sox when we brought Pablo back? IIRC, Pablo was a free agent once he cleared waivers from Boston, so I don't think we had to compensate Boston to sign him.

I just think there's a good chance, not a certainty I understand, that if you gave him the ball, at home, with the crowd going nuts (and they would), maybe against a lesser team, a very good chance that he would get fired up, and deliver a QS. It's worth a shot, IMO, without a lot of downside.

Unless he's lost his mind, and he would become a clubhouse cancer. That is also a distinct possibility, of living up to his nickname.
Once Boston released Sandoval, they had no say at all in what he chose to do. But they still had to pay him the 20m a year for 3 additional years after they cut him. Meanwhile we got a solid bench player for 400k a year while pointing and laughing at Bawston.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is probably the price. I guess we don't have to push the chips in this year, but playoff years aren't a lock for this team like they are for the Dodgers. Just musing about it, and you're right, without details who knows?

Luciano for someone like Giolito seems like a trade that would work....would we want that? Honestly don't know.
Back to my point earlier today, try the rookies now and see how they would do. If they cannot handle the big leagues in June and July, then you know they won't likely be ready for October baseball.

As for Luciano, have you guys seen his numbers in AA this year? He looks like damaged goods and would not be the centerpiece prospect in a deal. There would have to be one or two other quality prospect(s) added to make something happen.

And consider this, there are currently only 2 teams 10 or more games behind both their division leaders and the 3rd Wild Card spots in their league (Oakland and Kansas City). There are another 4 teams between 7 and 9.5 games back in both spots (Detroit, Washington, Saint Louis and Colorado). I don't think any other teams can be counted on as sellers right now (but that will assuredly change by the deadline).

Now not all the other 24 teams are going to be buyers but even divide that in half and that is still a lot of teams competing for limited resources. There is going to be a short list of starters available that could really be considered upgrades. I don't want to see someone not on that listed acquired just for the sake of "we got some starting pitching reinforcements".

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Boston released Sandoval, they had no say at all in what he chose to do. But they still had to pay him the 20m a year for 3 additional years after they cut him. Meanwhile we got a solid bench player for 400k a year while pointing and laughing at Bawston.
So we would give up nothing if we signed Bum except for the prorated minimum salary.

If Bum is up for it, this seems like a no-brainer. There's little downside risk.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we would give up nothing if we signed Bum except for the prorated minimum salary.

If Bum is up for it, this seems like a no-brainer. There's little downside risk.
It would also “cost” a 40 and 26 spot. Nothing is free.

And I really don’t get the sense that he parted ways with the Giants on good terms. I think he was pissed by the contract that he voluntarily signed to ensure his financial security. I haven’t heard this anywhere, it is just my gut feeling. That presser he had right after signing with the DBacks was weird af, and thanks to the damned pandemic, we never got the payoff presser.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to my point earlier today, try the rookies now and see how they would do. If they cannot handle the big leagues in June and July, then you know they won't likely be ready for October baseball.

As for Luciano, have you guys seen his numbers in AA this year? He looks like damaged goods and would not be the centerpiece prospect in a deal. There would have to be one or two other quality prospect(s) added to make something happen.

And consider this, there are currently only 2 teams 10 or more games behind both their division leaders and the 3rd Wild Card spots in their league (Oakland and Kansas City). There are another 4 teams between 7 and 9.5 games back in both spots (Detroit, Washington, Saint Louis and Colorado). I don't think any other teams can be counted on as sellers right now (but that will assuredly change by the deadline).

Now not all the other 24 teams are going to be buyers but even divide that in half and that is still a lot of teams competing for limited resources. There is going to be a short list of starters available that could really be considered upgrades. I don't want to see someone not on that listed acquired just for the sake of "we got some starting pitching reinforcements".
And from my perspective, which is usually slightly off center - I agree, we're rolling the dice and hoping to make the playoffs and not generally concerned with how much success we have there this season. I feel like Kap is trying to build from the ground up and make us perennial contenders... again, I could be wrong.

i.e. We don't have to win it all, at all costs, just yet...