• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 6-14-17 Red Sox have to go extras again, Yanks finally lose

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be right. To your point, I know the Indians played the Reds four straight earlier, two in Cle, two in Cin.

Yep it used to be 6 games and used to be spread out into 2 series instead of 1.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason, the Phillies are considered to be the Red Sox's "natural rival" in the NL. They play every year. Not sure why all the games are this week.
Red Sox and Phillies didn't play last year or 2014. And the only reason they played in 2015 was because it was their year to play the NL East.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what 18-20 L's?
We may see a 20 game loser at the rate he is going.

speaking of...no googling...

whos the last guy to lose 20 games in a season?

HINT...former sox farm hand.

if you get it right, name the one before that.

Last edited:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may see a 20 game loser at the rate he is going.

speaking of...no googling...

whos the last guy to lose 20 games in a season?

HINT...former sox farm hand.

if you get it right, name the one before that.

No idea. But I am guessing in the 80s

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Price cruised through the 1st inning on 6 pitches and then what 35 in the 2nd? Dude isn't worth the money right now.

It's the freaking Phillies and back to back nights need 11 and 12 innings to beat them.. sad

Angels walk off with a win against the Yankees. Headley Homered... He is still better than anything the Red Sox currently (in the majors) have at 3rd

I wanted Headley over Panda.

and that extra year is just KILLER now that Machado is a FA after that 4th year.

Damn Cherington. One fluke year with mostly Theo's players and then fucking trainwreck city.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, funny read on the orioles and all the pitching they have bled away...

this hader kjd may be the real deal.

Are Former Orioles Josh Hader and Parker Bridwell the next Jake Arrieta and Ariel Miranda?

ARE FORMER ORIOLES JOSH HADER AND PARKER BRIDWELL THE NEXT JAKE ARRIETA AND ARIEL MIRANDA?
June 12, 2017
BY L.E. MILLER, @LEMILLERBMORE

Have you forgotten about Jake Arrieta's Cy Young or the solid young pitchers that Eduardo Rodriguez, Ariel Miranda and Zach Davies have become?

Forget them for a minute, because the next round of young former Orioles pitchers arrived to the show this month for us to fret about. Parker Bridwell and Josh Hader are here.

Hader was shipped out in the Bud Norris trade. Norris of course pitched to an unimpressive 4.65 ERA for the Orioles, but wedged between a bad 2013 an illness-plagued 2015 was a solid 2014 that included an ALDS win.

It's fair to say it was a decent trade (although you could get into WHY the trade needed to be made. Dan Haren, Kyle Lohse, Francisco Liriano, Carlos Villanueva, and Brandon McCarthy were all available on relatively affordable deals in the 2012/13 off-season.)

It isn't at all shocking that Hader has found his way to the bigs. He was a 19 year old in A-ball who was establishing himself out of nowhere with 17 starts at a 2.65 ERA to open Delmarva's season – despite not being mentioned on hardly any prospect reports– when he was dealt. By the time this year rolled around, Hader was ranked as the Brewers' #2 prospect by Baseball America. He's struggled at AAA Colorado Springs, but struck out a ton of batters (139 K in 121.0 IP between stints in '15 and '16.)

Neither of these pitchers had the pedigree of the aforementioned hurlers who got away, but Bridwell - a 2010 9th rounder - was considered quite highly by the franchise at one point but had failed to develop.

After seven seasons in the minors and a 2016 cup of coffee that did not go well at all (8 ER in 4.0 IP) the Orioles sent him packing to the Angels for PTBNL or cash early into his 2017 campaign. By this point the Orioles weren't even trying to start him; he was relegated to the bullpen.

But apparently the Angels saw something that the Orioles coaches didn't. Through eight starts between AA and AAA Bridwell had put together a 3.73 ERA. A small sample size, but better than any year he had with the Orioles – significantly better than most of them as seen in his career 4.74 ERA in the minors.

And from those eight starts, the Angels called Bridwell up to the show to make his first MLB start, where he went six innings, allowing three earned runs. A solid, if unremarkable, start – but certainly better than the Orioles have gotten from many of their regulars recently.

No, I don't think either of these guys are going to suddenly win a Cy Young. It's just one start and a handful of MiLB appearances (And Hader seems to profile more as a reliever). But after the Orioles staff seemingly missed big time on developing Miranda it gives me a bit of pause.

What if the developmental problems that failed arms such as Arrieta and Matusz aren't gone after all? Miranda is the Mariners 2nd best pitcher, Gausman has an ERA near 6.00, and out of nowhere Bridwell is starting for the Angels. At this point I start to wonder again: what's going on with the pitching coaching and development?

On the other hand: Hey, at least the Orioles are getting talent in the farm that is major league capable now, even if it's not always in Baltimore.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Headley over Panda.

and that extra year is just KILLER now that Machado is a FA after that 4th year.

Damn Cherington. One fluke year with mostly Theo's players and then fucking trainwreck city.

Machado would be nice... but he's still an ass