• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: Red Sox lose Again: Orioles Win,Astros have a funeral for a glove

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real or Not? A strange and wild day for the Astros

When you're past the All-Star break and you're leading your division by 15.5 games, these summer days are supposed to be relaxing. Monday was anything but for the Houston Astros.

It all started with a little bit of good-natured frivolity. After all, Houston is 10.5 games better than anybody in the American League. And when you're cruising like that, you've got to mix it up. So the Astros decided to stage a funeral for Carlos Beltran's glove. He hasn't played in the field for two months and, well, why not?

If you think the ceremony might have been just a tad premature, then you're in agreement with Astros manager A.J. Hinch, who told MLB.com, “I've not quite given up on the glove, even though they're going to bury it in the outfield today.”

You can't beat fun at the old ballyard. When the day began, it seemed like the more interesting ballpark in the Astros organization was Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi, Texas, where ace Dallas Keuchel was making a rehab start. (It was a good night for high-profile rehab starts, with the Chicago Cubs' Kyle Hendricks throwing five perfect innings for Double-A Tennessee.)

Keuchel did fine, throwing three scoreless frames with two hits and a walk. He threw 45 pitches, 29 for strikes. Keuchel, 9-0 with a 1.67 ERA, has been out since June 2 because of a pinched nerve in his neck. He's likely to have a couple of more minor league outings, if only because there is exactly zero reason to rush him back to The Show.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hembree blew it.....

Well... Betts getting thrown out at home didn't help.

Red Sox have to lead league in getting runners thrown out at home

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing surely compelled Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to give his phone a strenuous postgame workout.

But after nearly two years of trading several top prospects -- outfielder Manuel Margot for Craig Kimbrel, right-hander Anderson Espinoza for Drew Pomeranz, infielder Mauricio Dubon for Tyler Thornburg and infielder Yoan Moncada and flame-throwing Michael Kopech for Chris Sale -- Dombrowski doesn't appear inclined to weaken the Red Sox's farm system any further.

"I don't see them shipping off top-tier guys," a major league source with knowledge of the Red Sox's thinking said Monday, presumably referring to Triple-A third baseman Rafael Devers and 18-year-old lefty Jason Groome.

Here's the thing: They might not have to.

Todd Frazier will be a free agent at season's end, so the Chicago White Sox can't expect to get back more than a fringe prospect, even if they help subsidize the nearly $6 million Frazier is owed this year. And while trading for Frazier won't guarantee the Red Sox the American League pennant -- he's batting .207 with a .712 OPS and typically is a better hitter before the All-Star break -- he would still represent an upgrade at a position where Boston has used eight players and produced a league-worst .610 OPS.

Frazier would also bring home run power to an offense that's sorely lacking in that area. Since the beginning of June, he has nine homers, which is more than any Red Sox player during that span, and is slugging .508, better than every Red Sox hitter except Jackie Bradley Jr. (.519).

Farrell can talk all he wants about shuffling the batting order to generate more offense, a possibility he mentioned after Monday night's game. But the reality is that the Red Sox have been short at least one run-producer for most of the season, forcing them to rely on stringing together hits to score runs.

Lately, it has been an arduous chore. In the past 10 games, the Sox are 7-for-70 with runners in scoring position. Frazier, who has 16 homers and hit 40 only a year ago, would at least offer another power threat.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks wasted a solid start by Mitchell and 2 good innings from Caleb Smith.

Frazier had a leadoff double in the 6th and 8th but we couldn't get a single run out of those innings. Disappointing

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks wasted a solid start by Mitchell and 2 good innings from Caleb Smith.

Frazier had a leadoff double in the 6th and 8th but we couldn't get a single run out of those innings. Disappointing

Not as disappointing as the Red Sox offense has been lately with RISP

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins select contract of Bartolo Colon

JOZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they can lose all they want as long as sale keeps scoring me 30 points per outing! hello fantasy championship!

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins select contract of Bartolo Colon

6 inning one run ball tonight

Better move those Judges' chambers to Scranton Wilkes-Barre

Glad i never got on board with this guy

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best throw out i ever saw

juan gonzalez at fenway in his younger days

ran back, caught one over his head basket style at the 420 mark, turned and got a sox player at home...on a rope. didnt bounce.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 inning one run ball tonight

Better move those Judges' chambers to Scranton Wilkes-Barre

Glad i never got on board with this guy

g6wgdzfsa8az.jpg

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking