• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

53-man roster projection

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Base it on his college tape where the special team play is about half as talented and coached like in the NFL along with the defences in the Pac 12 in Addisons case. But for sure let's base their play in practice and training also where there's minimum contact,etc. Please, you can throw that mud at many on here and get it to stick, but sorry, It certainly won't stick with me. :) I'm basing MY comments on what I've seen and what I haven't seen from those two in the first two preseason games so far. Like I said ALSO was, either one will have to look pretty decent in return game these last two games and make a little noise at wr if they even want to be PS guys. That's it. I hope you and DC are right and prove my guess wrong. Yippee ! :)

Well he played at a major university (Addison that is) against actual NFL level talent on other teams so no I don't think this is a "he only did it in college" kind of situation. And if we can't actually take anything from the college tape then why in the world do teams care so much about it when evaluating who to draft? Doesn't mean they don't miss sometimes like on guys like Chris Harris but college tape still matters. It isn't the end all be all but I would say it is better than just looking at 20 plays in the preseason and already jumping to conclusions about a player. See I am including those plays in my evaluation of the player along with everything else and what I read on the character of the player, injury history, and so much more. Again I'm not saying he is going to be a star but I think there is enough out there to like what you see and see if maybe a year of development on the practice squad is worth it.

I guess then my question to you is since you don't think they deserve to be on the practice squad please come up with a 53-man roster and 10-man Practice Squad to show me who is more deserving based on your watching of 2 preseason games so far.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On your last paragraph at least as far as who I think has shown more than Addison or Raymond at wr position is Taylor, Posey and Neal.As far as return game,like I already stated, I believe the job will be shared ( to start with anyway ) between Sanders, Norwood.Bibbs and I think we just might see Posey or Neal get shot vs Rams on kick offs since they both have shown more at wr than Addison or Raymond. Next on list...Addison and Pac 12.....Aside from Washington I believe, why don't you dig up receiving yards "against " avg per game given up by all the other Pac 12 teams and post it here. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I know it's not fair based on your own comments in past where you've stated numerous times that your too busy to watch college football games and most of your knowledge is based on highlight reels and articles. I do watch a lot of college games though. :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Randy,

You got a 53 man roster projection we can see?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think John Phillips makes it over Graham at TE.

Ferentz makes the team - Winn will not

Dixon over Colquitt at Punter

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Heuerman and Graham both banged up most of camp, we just might see 4 TE's on the roster to start the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I know it's not fair based on your own comments in past where you've stated numerous times that your too busy to watch college football games and most of your knowledge is based on highlight reels and articles. I do watch a lot of college games though. :)

See I feel like this is a misrepresentation of my knowledge of college players. It is true during the college season I don't watch a ton of games. I don't have a die hard team that I follow. What I love to do though is after and even some during the season is watch either whole game cuts or individually specialized videos of players such as on Draftbreakdown where they highlight the player and show every single play that player is in the game. So I'm not just seeing the highlights of that player but I am seeing every single snap of almost all of their games and I can watch an entire game of snaps for that player depending on how many snaps they are in in about 15-20 minutes. So I can watch an entire season of one player that I am interested in in just a few hours where you might only see one game in that same time span.

Now it usually takes me a bit longer because I like to pause the videos and say it is a WR that I am watching. I like to see formation for both sides of the ball. I like to see how they do in press coverage compared to off man or zone coverage. I like to watch their footwork as my grandpa was a coach/referee so he and I would spend hours just working on my footwork as a WR. I like to watch how often they catch the ball with their hands compared to body. I like to watch what they do route wise. All those things play into my evaluation of a player. So this isn't just a highlight video like you seem to be hinting at. A little frustrated honestly Randymon with all of our work over the years talking about drafts that you would say I am a highlight video draft guy.

Now the articles for me are more to get to know the personality of the player. I don't care so much what they say about the play on the field as I can see that with my own eyes. I look for articles talking about the background of the player and maybe things past coaches have said or what red flags have shown up for this player and how they handled adversity.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Heuerman and Graham both banged up most of camp, we just might see 4 TE's on the roster to start the season.

There is no question - it appears that Virgil Green will have the primary TE receiver role. I hope Heuerman can block. I think an extra Olineman may be kept with someone from the Oline used as an addition blocking TE -as the Broncos have sometimes done in the past.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a quick note from today that the contract talks with Sanders have been quiet but the window has not closed. To me sounds like the Broncos are waiting to see what kind of cap room they will have after the 53-man roster is formed. So contracts could play a role in who is kept or what they try to do with certain players.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a quick note from today that the contract talks with Sanders have been quiet but the window has not closed. To me sounds like the Broncos are waiting to see what kind of cap room they will have after the 53-man roster is formed. So contracts could play a role in who is kept or what they try to do with certain players.

Goodbye Colquitt?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodbye Colquitt?

I would say Sanchez and Hillman are more the guys that could miss out because of wanting to get Sanders signed. From what I understand Hillman and Bibbs are neck and neck for that 3rd RB spot so if that is the case then they probably go with the younger guy that is cheaper. Same with Sanchez in why keep him at that high of a price when we can cut him or try to get him to take a lower salary?

From what I understand Colquitt has been the clear winner so far in that competition. As great as it would be to save the money just not worth it to have a subpar Punter

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Colquitt sticking around.

Wonder how all the Hillman lovers will get along if Hillman is released like he should be.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't think so right?

But there were a few from the San Diego area. (Can't blame them, that is their boy) just have to raz them after I went a few rounds with them last year.

In reality I was fine with Hillman as a 3rd RB, but no way would I ever want to depend on him like we have had to the past few years. He is just not a very good NFL RB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a thing? Of all the players, Hillman wouldn't seem likely for having a fan club.

Well there is the crowd that look at the stats from last year and see the guy that was our leading rusher for the regular season and say "see look he is a good RB." Or there is the crowd of "he is the only RB that offers something a little different because of his great speed." So there are those that really argue pretty hard for him. Honestly I wouldn't be disappointed if he made the roster. Our top regular season rusher last year being our 3rd string rusher this year is not a bad thing. Honestly he might be the best 3rd or 4th string RB in the league if that is the case. Just don't want to see him as our starter again.

Right now his biggest issue of why he might get cut is because he is a terrible special teams player. Teams need that 3rd RB to be a special teams guy as that is about the only way they make the active roster. It is why so many think he will be cut and Bibbs gets his spot.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We REALLY needed to upgrade the run game this offseason. If Hillman was a top 2 back for us IMO it meant we didn't do a good job at upgrading. The OL was part of the problem, yes, but both clearly needed upgrade. CJ Anderson's issue was health, we added Devontae Booker a much better RB for our system then Hillman. If Hillman was/is anything more then our 3rd with our current QB situation we'd have done a very poor job this off-season in improving a weakness.

Elway adjusted to adding a physical D which was our problem in Super Bowl 48. Let's hope the run game improves as significant to have a shot this year.

I like how Elway focuses on weaknesses, something I felt Shanahan did a very poor job. As he loved to stop gap weaknesses. Elway gets to the point.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We REALLY needed to upgrade the run game this offseason. If Hillman was a top 2 back for us IMO it meant we didn't do a good job at upgrading. The OL was part of the problem, yes, but both clearly needed upgrade. CJ Anderson's issue was health, we added Devontae Booker a much better RB for our system then Hillman. If Hillman was/is anything more then our 3rd with our current QB situation we'd have done a very poor job this off-season in improving a weakness.

Elway adjusted to adding a physical D which was our problem in Super Bowl 48. Let's hope the run game improves as significant to have a shot this year.

I like how Elway focuses on weaknesses, something I felt Shanahan did a very poor job. As he loved to stop gap weaknesses. Elway gets to the point.

The other thing that I love that Elway does is we always see him what I would call double up. He will add a FA but then also draft for the position and then let those players battle it out during camp. Such as he signed 2 FA Safeties before the draft and then added 2 Safeties. He signed both Hillman and Anderson but then drafted Booker. He signed Crick but then drafted Gotsis. Gives us more chances for success at all of these positions and adds a nice rotation. It also helps us to not have to then go to the draft and reach at any one position in the hopes that the rookie can produce day 1.

Also from what I have read IF the Broncos knew they were going to get Booker in the draft like they did they wouldn't have re-signed Hillman but at the time it made sense with only Anderson having shown he can produce semi-consistently at the position and Hillman being pretty cheap.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor running around that Sanchez won't make the cut. Hmmmm....

It has been a rumor in Denver for about 2 weeks now. Would be quite the shock for the Defending Super Bowl Champs to go into the season with 2 QB's that neither have thrown a single pass in a regular season game. Still if they have both shown much more promise than him and have been more consistent in practice like we have been hearing then not worth keeping his salary around. Now I still think there is a good chance that as DC has said a few times that they cut him and then sign him back after week 1 to a lower non-guaranteed contract.