• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Boruk those guys are dumb on this one. Stolarz and Lyon put up similar numbers last year, they got basically identical contracts, and Stolarz was protected in the expansion draft. Stolarz was the callup then, and none of the things that have happened between now and then would indicate any change of opinion. If Neuvirth gets hurt tomorrow, Stolarz is the Flyers backup going in to camp. Nothing has changed to indicate anything else.

And as we've discussed, the second the Flyers signed Neuvrith, intelligent hockey people knew Stolarz/Lyon would not be in the NHL this season. Neuvirth was signed to be a 1B at absolute best. They're not going to have an unproven guy come up from the AHL as your 1A or starter.
Its obvious that there is nothing to report on so they start writing these types of columns. I like Lyon and hope its a Hart Lyon duo for years to come but for this article to put out there he will be brought up ahead of Stolarz is ludicrous.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its obvious that there is nothing to report on so they start writing these types of columns. I like Lyon and hope its a Hart Lyon duo for years to come but for this article to put out there he will be brought up ahead of Stolarz is ludicrous.

I think it'll be Hart/Sandstrom, but the important thing is, I really like where the goalie prospects are. I think all 4 have a pretty good shot at a significant number of NHL games in their careers.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be Hart/Sandstrom, but the important thing is, I really like where the goalie prospects are. I think all 4 have a pretty good shot at a significant number of NHL games in their careers.
I could be Hart?Sandstrom combo and if it is do you think we need four goalies that are pro ready. Maybe we could add one to a deal and get a top player if it makes sense when they are all ready.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be Hart?Sandstrom combo and if it is do you think we need four goalies that are pro ready. Maybe we could add one to a deal and get a top player if it makes sense when they are all ready.

That's what frustrated (still does) me so much about the Neuvirth signing. The goalie tandem should have been Mason and Stolarz/Lyon this season. Give Stolarz/Lyon the opportunity to show what they're capable of in the NHL. Because they didn't, Stolarz/Lyon both got 1 year deals and will have to somehow prove their value in the AHL or the Flyers will lose them both for nothing, or have Hart or Sandstrom or both in the ECHL next year (which would be moronic).

2017-18
Elliot / Neuvirth in the NHL (2 years each)
Stolarz / Lyon in the AHL (2 years each)

2018-19
Elliot / Neuvirth in the NHL (1 year left)
Stolarz / Lyon (free agents)
Hart / Sandstrom (AHL)

If you had given the backup job to Stolarz or Lyon, you could see if they were NHL caliber. If they weren't, no big deal, you don't re-sign them. If they are, then you either trade them for value, or keep them and move any one of Elliot, Neuvirth, Hart, or Sandstrom for value. But having them both in the AHL basically eliminates any chance the Flyers feel comfortable moving Elliot or Nevuirth next year, and completely eliminates the chances any other team will give up assets for them.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what frustrated (still does) me so much about the Neuvirth signing. The goalie tandem should have been Mason and Stolarz/Lyon this season. Give Stolarz/Lyon the opportunity to show what they're capable of in the NHL. Because they didn't, Stolarz/Lyon both got 1 year deals and will have to somehow prove their value in the AHL or the Flyers will lose them both for nothing, or have Hart or Sandstrom or both in the ECHL next year (which would be moronic).

2017-18
Elliot / Neuvirth in the NHL (2 years each)
Stolarz / Lyon in the AHL (2 years each)

2018-19
Elliot / Neuvirth in the NHL (1 year left)
Stolarz / Lyon (free agents)
Hart / Sandstrom (AHL)

If you had given the backup job to Stolarz or Lyon, you could see if they were NHL caliber. If they weren't, no big deal, you don't re-sign them. If they are, then you either trade them for value, or keep them and move any one of Elliot, Neuvirth, Hart, or Sandstrom for value. But having them both in the AHL basically eliminates any chance the Flyers feel comfortable moving Elliot or Nevuirth next year, and completely eliminates the chances any other team will give up assets for them.

I read somewhere, I think it was Broad Street, they are keeping a tight grip on Stolarz. They don't think Neuvy is going to last the season. He can't stay healthy, and there was big emphasis on his passing out episode last year something happened there that no one wants to disclose.

Anyway,I foresee our goalies being Elliott and Stolarz before the end of the season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere, I think it was Broad Street, they are keeping a tight grip on Stolarz. They don't think Neuvy is going to last the season. He can't stay healthy, and there was big emphasis on his passing out episode last year something happened there that no one wants to disclose.

Anyway,I foresee our goalies being Elliott and Stolarz before the end of the season.
I wouldn't mind this happening we can then see if Stolarz in NHL worthy.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I just hope that if Morin, Hagg and Sanheim are all better than MacDonald in camp, they start over him too. He can ride the bench all season long for all I care. I really don't fear starting three rookies on defense. These guys are ready for Nhl action and Hakstol is supposed to be just the guy to guide them along the way too.

Gudas is a solid veteran, Ghost has two seasons under his belt and Provorov is a stud already after just the lone season. Have one rookie on each pairing if need be.

Odds are these young guys are already better than MacDonald anyway, or certainly will be after getting in a few dozen Nhl games.

Last edited:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind this happening we can then see if Stolarz in NHL worthy.

I can't see why he wouldn't be, he has the talent, he just needs the time in the bigs.....
He's 2 and 1 with a shut out, and the one he lost the D failed him big time.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I just hope that if Morin, Hagg and Sanheim are all better than MacDonald in camp, they start over him too. He can ride the bench all season long for all I care. I really don't fear starting three rookies on defense. These guys are ready for Nhl action and Hakstol is supposed to be just the guy to guide them along the way too.

Gudas is a solid veteran, Ghost has two seasons under his belt and Provorov is a stud already after just the lone season. Have one rookie on each pairing if need be.

Odds are these young guys are already better than MacDonald anyway, or certainly will be after getting in a few dozen Nhl games.

I would actually be a little concerned about a dcorp with a total of 493 NHL games. If they're better, I'd probably still do it. But I would definitely hesitate. I know we like to rip on Macdonald, but he's got 473 games by himself. He's seen the ebbs and flows of hot streaks and cold streaks. We like to say "Imagine what Provorov could have done if he wasn't dragging Macdonald around with him all year" which is fine, but what if Provorov was able to transition so seamlessly because Macdonald mentored him through it? Gotta remember there's probably some truth to both of those things.

And I want Provorov focused on improving his game and reaching the #1 dman we all think he can be. Not mentoring 3 guys that are older than him.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually be a little concerned about a dcorp with a total of 493 NHL games. If they're better, I'd probably still do it. But I would definitely hesitate. I know we like to rip on Macdonald, but he's got 473 games by himself. He's seen the ebbs and flows of hot streaks and cold streaks. We like to say "Imagine what Provorov could have done if he wasn't dragging Macdonald around with him all year" which is fine, but what if Provorov was able to transition so seamlessly because Macdonald mentored him through it? Gotta remember there's probably some truth to both of those things.

And I want Provorov focused on improving his game and reaching the #1 dman we all think he can be. Not mentoring 3 guys that are older than him.

C'mon, MacDonald is terrible. End of story. I understand wanting a little more experience on the back end, and I don't disagree. I DO disagree that MacDonald helps in any way, shape or form.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, MacDonald is terrible. End of story. I understand wanting a little more experience on the back end, and I don't disagree. I DO disagree that MacDonald helps in any way, shape or form.

Agree to disagree on helping in any way shape or form. Even if he's the guy teaching Morin and Hagg how to do drills in practice to Provorov can focus on the drill himself, that's helpful.

And I really do think Macdonald is a fine 3rd pair guy. He's overpaid (by a lot), but he's not sub-NHL caliber IMO.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree on helping in any way shape or form. Even if he's the guy teaching Morin and Hagg how to do drills in practice to Provorov can focus on the drill himself, that's helpful.

And I really do think Macdonald is a fine 3rd pair guy. He's overpaid (by a lot), but he's not sub-NHL caliber IMO.
I thought he had an ok season last year in the second half. I would still like to see him traded or replaced by better talent, but until that time I agree, Use him for what you can positively.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this 100%. McDonald is a fine third pair defense man and his experience will come in handy.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had an ok season last year in the second half. I would still like to see him traded or replaced by better talent, but until that time I agree, Use him for what you can positively.
I would love to get rid of that contract but i dont think even Hexy can pull that off. He can be helpful to our young d core this season.