• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Room-for-Read-on-Roster/45/86658

My question is who PK's next season? With Bellemare, Vandevelde, Gordon and potentially Read all not on the team next year, that's 4 out of your top 6 in PK ice time per game (Simmonds/Couturier). Go a little further with Lyubimov and you're at 5 out of the top 8.

Couturier, Simmonds and Filppula, absolutely. Then, it appears Patrick will step right in and if Read/Laughton don't make the team, I would go to Giroux/Lehtera and Raffl to form a 3rd pairing that would not often get used.

I don't mind using G on the PK at all to keep him involved defensively and also maybe spark the occasional shorthanded offense. It's not like we were even decent at killing penalties last season anyway, so this change is welcomed. 79.8% just isn't good enough.

On defense, obviously Provorov and Gudas will be leaned on heavily, but probably Morin and at least one of Hagg/Myers too. A lot less MacDonald, please.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmonds and Couts
Fillpula and Patrick
Vecchione and Raffl
This is of course for the per projected line up posted. Read and Laughton if in the line up take the second slot.
Giroux in a short handed situation, trying to cover the point man and trying to block shots from guys like Weber and Ovekin is just truly funny. Not to mention he cant score 5 on 5 and now we'd be looking for him to create 4 on 5. Lets just say Gee on the PK for an extended portion of the season wouldn't serve us well.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmonds and Couts
Fillpula and Patrick
Vecchione and Raffl
This is of course for the per projected line up posted. Read and Laughton if in the line up take the second slot.
Giroux in a short handed situation, trying to cover the point man and trying to block shots from guys like Weber and Ovekin is just truly funny. Not to mention he cant score 5 on 5 and now we'd be looking for him to create 4 on 5. Lets just say Gee on the PK for an extended portion of the season wouldn't serve us well.

Lol As if that wasn't expected. What took you so long!?

If we were to somehow win a Cup with Giroux, I don't know how you're ever going to be able to celebrate it. Trashed him for too long.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we were to somehow win a Cup with Giroux, I don't know how you're ever going to be able to celebrate it. Trashed him for too long.

Easy, because it's about the TEAM and not about Giroux. So maybe it's a matter of he needs to produce to prove to us he wants to be in Philly and be a part of something special that is happening with this team. This team is going places, question is, does Giroux begin to contribute or does he continue his slide to mediocrity.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do NOT want Simmonds on the PK, despite the fact that he played well in that role last year. the PK wears your stamina down immensely. It wasn't a coincidence that Simmer's scoring dropped off as his PK time increased. It's the same reason they finally took G off of the PK. Let your scorers score, and the PK needs to be filled out by bottom half of the roster players. If you don't have 4 good PK forwards in your bottom 6, you don't have the right bottom 6.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mav this was in no way a shot at Giroux. This is just plain smart hockey. He does a lot of things well but PK is not where we want him playing for an extended time. :suds:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do NOT want Simmonds on the PK, despite the fact that he played well in that role last year. the PK wears your stamina down immensely. It wasn't a coincidence that Simmer's scoring dropped off as his PK time increased. It's the same reason they finally took G off of the PK. Let your scorers score, and the PK needs to be filled out by bottom half of the roster players. If you don't have 4 good PK forwards in your bottom 6, you don't have the right bottom 6.
I could agree with this. They may just have Read on the 4th line as he is one of our better PKers

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mav this was in no way a shot at Giroux. This is just plain smart hockey. He does a lot of things well but PK is not where we want him playing for an extended time. :suds:

Nobody said extended time. If he were a part of it at all, it would be limited action. I merely suggested that he is one of our potential options on the least used pairing if several others were not available.

G doesn't kill penalties often as it stands, yet he has 13 career shorthanded points and another 6 in the postseason. So, to say he would never create anything offensively while down a man is a bit of a joke. He's still a great playmaker that has averaged 52 assists per season over the last six full seasons.

In spot situations when trailing late or if we have injuries to other guys, I would definitely not be afraid to throw him out on the penalty kill.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy, because it's about the TEAM and not about Giroux. So maybe it's a matter of he needs to produce to prove to us he wants to be in Philly and be a part of something special that is happening with this team. This team is going places, question is, does Giroux begin to contribute or does he continue his slide to mediocrity.

If we win a Cup while he is captain, he will undoubtedly be a big part of it. Not worried about that one bit. G needs to come along and will, but so do the rest of the veterans and the rookies too. All hands on deck here.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said extended time. If he were a part of it at all, it would be limited action. I merely suggested that he is one of our potential options on the least used pairing if several others were not available.

G doesn't kill penalties often as it stands, yet he has 13 career shorthanded points and another 6 in the postseason. So, to say he would never create anything offensively while down a man is a bit of a joke. He's still a great playmaker that has averaged 52 assists per season over the last six full seasons.

In spot situations when trailing late or if we have injuries to other guys, I would definitely not be afraid to throw him out on the penalty kill.
I love how you refer to Gee's career stats when trying to make your point like he is the same player that he was 5 years ago. His career stats are meaningless when comparing the player we have today to that player we had then.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you refer to Gee's career stats when trying to make your point like he is the same player that he was 5 years ago. His career stats are meaningless when comparing the player we have today to that player we had then.

I didn't just steal a number from five seasons ago and show it to you. I took the last several seasons and averaged them. It's not a broken stat. Even this past season, his paltry 44 assists were enough to rank him tied for 20th in the Nhl. While that's not great or up to his standards, it's also not horrific. He's still making a lot of plays, we just expect an awful lot out of him and so does he.

There's a huge group of players that you'd think are clearly better than G that failed to put up 44 assists last season. The guy will be better anyway, so none of this trashing is going to matter at the end of the day.

Don't say something "wasn't a shot at Giroux" when you spent easily half of your post explaining what he can't do...Lol

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still OK having Simmonds on the PK because he's pretty good at it. But I'm definitely not married to the idea. The truth of the matter is, at 79% success last season, nobody was really good at it. We think Couturier can be good, other than that, I wouldn't be willing to stick my neck out and say anyone else is truly good at it.

If they can replace Simmonds with someone else, perfect. I'd rather use his minutes offensively too. Just strengthens the argument for both Laughton and Read to make the team next year. Honestly if you try to limit Simmonds and Giroux on the PK, I don't see how you don't start the season with them in the lineup. Couturier and Filpula are the only other forwards with significant NHL PK'ing experience.

I would be pretty disappointed if Patrick starts out PK'ing. He's rookie, he shouldn't be tasked with learning how to play PK, PP, and EV at the same time. And I expect he'll play on the PP from the start. And, similarly to Simmonds, I want to use his minutes playing offense.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done arguing the Giroux matter. It's a dead horse that we've beaten far too much. The guy is going to rebound. That's my stance on it.

:deadhorse:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we win a Cup while he is captain, he will undoubtedly be a big part of it. Not worried about that one bit. G needs to come along and will, but so do the rest of the veterans and the rookies too. All hands on deck here.

I would hope he would be a part of it. He is a key component of the Flyers.

But he is not the face of the TEAM any more. His stats are declining, and if he wants this elite status or to be put on this pedistal, he needs to pull it together.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't just steal a number from five seasons ago and show it to you. I took the last several seasons and averaged them. It's not a broken stat. Even this past season, his paltry 44 assists were enough to rank him tied for 20th in the Nhl. While that's not great or up to his standards, it's also not horrific. He's still making a lot of plays, we just expect an awful lot out of him and so does he.

There's a huge group of players that you'd think are clearly better than G that failed to put up 44 assists last season. The guy will be better anyway, so none of this trashing is going to matter at the end of the day.

Don't say something "wasn't a shot at Giroux" when you spent easily half of your post explaining what he can't do...Lol
Taking a shot at a player and reality of the matter at hand are two totally separate items.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than Boruk those guys are dumb on this one. Stolarz and Lyon put up similar numbers last year, they got basically identical contracts, and Stolarz was protected in the expansion draft. Stolarz was the callup then, and none of the things that have happened between now and then would indicate any change of opinion. If Neuvirth gets hurt tomorrow, Stolarz is the Flyers backup going in to camp. Nothing has changed to indicate anything else.

And as we've discussed, the second the Flyers signed Neuvrith, intelligent hockey people knew Stolarz/Lyon would not be in the NHL this season. Neuvirth was signed to be a 1B at absolute best. They're not going to have an unproven guy come up from the AHL as your 1A or starter.