• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF??

Connor McDavid just took home his first NHL MVP award, and now he's on the verge of becoming the league's highest-paid player.

The 20-year-old is nearing an extension with the Edmonton Oilers, reportedly worth $106 million US over eight years. The deal, which can't be signed until July 1 and won't kick in until the 2018-19 season, would give McDavid the highest yearly cap hit in the league at $13.25 million.

"We are still working on it," Jeff Jackson, McDavid's agent, told The Canadian Press in an email on Wednesday afternoon.

Jackson declined comment on the terms of the new deal, which were first reported by Sportsnet.

McDavid is obviously well worth the investment, and the distinction of highest-paid player.

The Newmarket, Ont., native led the NHL in scoring in only his second NHL season — the lone player with 100 points. He's one of only five players in the last 20 years to tally 30 goals and 70 assists in the same season, an esteemed group that also includes Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux, Evgeni Malkin, and Jaromir Jagr.

In addition to the Hart trophy as league MVP, McDavid was also awarded the Ted Lindsay Award as most "outstanding" player as voted by his peers and Art Ross trophy as the league's leading scorer.

Chicago Blackhawk teammates Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane currently share the highest annual salary cap at $10.5 million.

The Oilers will also be looking at a new contract this summer for 21-year-old restricted free agent Leon Draisaitl, one that would kick in this fall. The combination of those two looming deals was a factor in the recent trading of Jordan Eberle to the New York Islanders and mean the Oilers will require plenty of cap manoeuvring in the years to come.

McDavid alone would eat up 17.7 per cent of the cap in 2018 — assuming it stays flat at $75 million.

8 years @ 13.25 mil a year

After 2 years(actually 1-1/2),you make him the highest paid NHL'er?.
He'd probably have taken 6.5-7 a season .These fucking GM's are jokes.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they offer McDavid this kind if $$$,how much is Crosby worth?
He's been at the top/or near top for all of his 12 years,and was still in hunt for MVP this year.

These kind of contracts burn my ass,and I hope it blows up in Edmontons' face.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think it's a no-brainer-espescially at the price.

Yes. Sign Elliott, without question. It will be $3 million per or cheaper, for sure. Idk if I agree that Neuvy is a clear cut starter over him though. They could actually battle it out however without one of them collapsing under the pressure.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry man this is BS, Schenn has improved in numbers every year he's been here, last year was the only real separation in his pp vs even strength goals, Also he's one of out top tier players he should be scoring on the PP.

As to everyone's two year plan to compete is more BS, sorry pro teams are made to compete yearly, like you said, why hold onto Simmonds if our plan is two years? Get all the awesome assets you can for him now to someone who thinks they will win the cup and I suppose and build a super team for the future.

Actually, his numbers dropped some this past season to be fair. He is one of our top tier forwards, but I would still rank him behind Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds. I would bet that there is more to this. Like Hakstol wanted him gone or he wasn't a vocal leader in the room. Something to that effect.

Either way, we clearly had a difficult time figuring out whether Schenn was a center or a winger and who to play him with. That plays into this, I am sure.

As for Simmonds, we can still re-sign him before he becomes a free agent and he's very likely the better player in my opinion. But yes, trading him away now may make about as much sense as this trade does.

If we're completely giving up on the next couple of seasons, by all means, trade away Simmonds. It would only add to the rebuilding process. I don't think we're throwing in the towel just yet though with some serious young guns on the way asap.

Last edited:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet that there is more to this. Like Hakstol wanted him gone or he wasn't a vocal leader in the room. Something to that effect.

When you have a very one-dimensional player who was only good on the PP and you now have a new PP coach who will likely be making changes to said PP, it's not hard to figure out why the time was right to sell high.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Neuvy is the #1 next season the Flyers will not make the playoffs.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you mean if the Flyers go into the season with him as the #1? If yes I agree, though I can see them signing someone else but having Neuvy regain his form and be the #1 by the end of the season and still possibly make the playoffs.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See and that would make even less sense unless you were just figuring on this season being a bust? IDK maybe sports have taken a new approach that have past this old codger by lol

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, his numbers dropped some this past season to be fair. He is one of our top tier forwards, but I would still rank him behind Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds. I would bet that there is more to this. Like Hakstol wanted him gone or he wasn't a vocal leader in the room. Something to that effect.

Either way, we clearly had a difficult time figuring out whether Schenn was a center or a winger and who to play him with. That plays into this, I am sure.

As for Simmonds, we can still re-sign him before he becomes a free agent and he's very likely the better player in my opinion. But yes, trading him away now may make about as much sense as this trade does.

If we're completely giving up on the next couple of seasons, by all means, trade away Simmonds. It would only add to the rebuilding process. I don't think we're throwing in the towel just yet though with some serious young guns on the way asap.
I agree with a lot of what you said, I personally would have seen Gee leave for youth than youth for youth. If that makes sense lol. JBM called Schenn one dimensional, Well I hate to say it but Roo has been that way for two years now? Maybe trade him during the season? who knows. I need to call Hexy and get an update.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine the Flyers not signing another veteran goalie. They're not TRYING to lose, they're just not making stupid short-sighted Holmgrenesque moves in an attempt to win it all now when they know they just don't have the horses to do it yet. They'll sign another goalie to a 1 or 2 year deal. If not, then by all means start trashing on them.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a very one-dimensional player who was only good on the PP and you now have a new PP coach who will likely be making changes to said PP, it's not hard to figure out why the time was right to sell high.
The same thing can be said about Gee why wouldn't we get as much as we can for him now before we cant get anything for him?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no great love for G, which I've expressed previously. However, the point that a couple of you are missing is sell high, buy low. Schenn's value was at a high, and Hextall gambled that it had peaked. G's is at a low, especially considering his cap hit and NMC. A guy like that you just have to hope bounces back.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you said, I personally would have seen Gee leave for youth than youth for youth. If that makes sense lol. JBM called Schenn one dimensional, Well I hate to say it but Roo has been that way for two years now? Maybe trade him during the season? who knows. I need to call Hexy and get an update.
Something that gets overlooked is G's face off abilities. Last year he was 56% and Couts was a close second at 55%. Schenn was only 47%. I also think opponents still focus their top defensive players when G's line is out. Giroux and Gostisbehere both underwent right hip and bilateral lower abdominal procedures last year. Ghost started slowly but improved as the season progressed. G played all 82 games and was consistently underwhelming all season. His best points month was October when he had 2 goals and 10 assists in 10 games. When Patrick was drafter, Schenn fell out of our top six forwards. 2 1st was a good haul at that point.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something overlooked. With Schenn we had a shot to not only make the playoffs but do a little damage. Unloading him is telling our fans we dont have a shot so lets start the breakdown. If that's what they believe why not clean house and get another top 5 pick instead of finishing 8th or just missing the playoffs and getting a a crappy pick.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can envision this as our opening night roster with $2.6 remaining in cap space. My belief is that Weal is gone. Someone is going to over pay him. I think Lindblom could use some AHL time to get adjusted to NA hockey, but I dont see a better option unless he is switched with Raffl.

Left Wing
Center Right Wing
Lindblom (.925) G (8.275) Jake (8.25)
Filppula (5.0) Nolan (.925) Simmer (3.975)
Konecny (.894) Couts (4.33) Raffl (2.35)
Read (3.625) Lehtera (4.7) Weise (2.35)
Vecchione (1.25) Laughton (1.0)

Defense
MacDonald (5.0) - Provy (.894)
Gudas (3.35) - Hagg (.894)
Ghost (4.5) - Morin (.863)
Manning (.975)

Goalies
Neuvirth (2.5)
Elliott (3.0)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like chy's lineup a lot. Obviously some parts could move around, maybe laughton or vecchione instead of weise. But that crew i like.

Only thing is, i think they can do better with 5.6 mil (ish) than Elliot in net. I'd rather see them spend that money on a better goalie, assuming his contract isn't more than 2 years.

PS - i'm still betting that Myers takes one of the d-spots as a bit of a darkhorse :)