• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospect Pool rankings will come out in a couple months, I'll be you my avatar for the whole season the Flyers will be in the top 3.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you basing that off of?

IMO the following have a good chance at being future all-stars
1. Konecny
2. Lindblom
3. Patrick
4. Myers
5. Sanheim
6. Hart
7. Sandstrom
8. Ghost

And that doesn't include Frost or Ratcliffe because we'll wait a year or two to see how they develop.

I hope so but i seriously doubt it.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's fair. Maybe Mase didn't sign then. That would make sense, I didn't really think of that.

Just because I was preparing to argue already, and I enjoy this.. :)

Over the past two seasons, in the time Neuvy has been injured and therefore Mase was THE #1 guy, he's played in 42 games and has a .919 sv% (stopping 1074 shots of 1169 taken).

Of the 29 goalies that played at least 42 games last season, he'd be tied for 9th in the league. Ahead of Crawford, Rinne, Andersen, Vasilevsky, Rask, Allen, Lundqvist, Jones, Pickard, Mrazek. To name a few that people have clamored for or clamored for "someone like".

The Flyers needed to stop shitting on Mason and just give him the starter's role. Believe it or not, HES EARNED IT!

I like Mason too,but don't think he's our answer.Hell,Bernier was a little better than Mase,and I'm not sold on him.
As I said before,grab Elliot if available,and have him spell Stolarz,Hart,Sandstrom,etc...

I'm 58 and am getting damn tired of next year,or a couple more years talk.
I don't want them to go back to,win now mentality,just want them to get the right puzzle pieces to fit together for a consistently competitive team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mason too,but don't think he's our answer.Hell,Bernier was a little better than Mase,and I'm not sold on him.
As I said before,grab Elliot if available,and have him spell Stolarz,Hart,Sandstrom,etc...

I'm 58 and am getting damn tired of next year,or a couple more years talk.
I don't want them to go back to,win now mentality,just want them to get the right puzzle pieces to fit together for a consistently competitive team.

Almost there. One more year on the playoff bubble (I think they get in), then it will be window opening time.

my 3 year projection:
2018 - 1st round loss
2019 - Deep run, bow out
2020 - its cup contender time.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost there. One more year on the playoff bubble (I think they get in), then it will be window opening time.

my 3 year projection:
2018 - 1st round loss
2019 - Deep run, bow out
2020 - its cup contender time.

Probably accurate. I hope we can get in next year and at least win a round or two though.

Either way, 2020-21 should be the season that things really open up for us. MacDonald, Gudas and Weise come off the books. Filppula, Lehtera, Raffl and Read are long gone. All of their replacements should be cheaper upgrades via prospects that are in the pipeline now. Add to that loads of cap space to fill however we so choose. Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg could possibly be our top six defense and by then all established Nhl veterans. Maybe Carter Hart is even our goalie by then too.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all those guys listed Prov is probably the only future all star

Idk about that. I would not go that far. The odds of drafting an all-star probably aren't that high anyway if you're constantly drafting in the 20's like we usually are. Lately, we've been fortunate to draft a lot sooner and we're starting to reap the benefits of that now.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is more the realization that we're not winning a Cup in the next two seasons, so why hold onto Schenn just for the power play production only to eventually lose him for nothing?

We do save $425k for the next two seasons and then the full $5.125 million in the third season when we need to be extending Simmonds, Provorov, Konecny and Sanheim with still one year of MacDonald left.

I'm not going to question when we took Frost if our scouts think he's a 1st round talent and eventual impact player for us. Our 1st round pick next season will be an even better player in a stronger draft and very likely taken earlier than 27th overall.

This was a move made for the future, but now it begs the question of what we will do with Simmonds, given he has only those two more seasons left and then could go to free agency.

Regardless, if either of these 1st round picks becomes a top six forward for us, then we've won this trade.

Sorry man this is BS, Schenn has improved in numbers every year he's been here, last year was the only real separation in his pp vs even strength goals, Also he's one of out top tier players he should be scoring on the PP.

As to everyone's two year plan to compete is more BS, sorry pro teams are made to compete yearly, like you said, why hold onto Simmonds if our plan is two years? Get all the awesome assets you can for him now to someone who thinks they will win the cup and I suppose and build a super team for the future.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can the Flyers expect from Jori Lehtera?

From the article,

Lehtera had a strong first season with the Blues (at the age of 27), earning himself a three-year, $14.1 million contract extension that would kick in prior to the 2016-17 season. Unfortunately, Lehtera’s play has fallen off in each of the two years since that deal, to the point where he (and his massive contract) had become a point of constant frustration in St. Louis. His presence in the trade was very much a cap dump for the Blue

This is why I have reservations about this trade, we already have too many Raffls on this team lol.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry man this is BS, Schenn has improved in numbers every year he's been here, last year was the only real separation in his pp vs even strength goals, Also he's one of out top tier players he should be scoring on the PP.

As to everyone's two year plan to compete is more BS, sorry pro teams are made to compete yearly, like you said, why hold onto Simmonds if our plan is two years? Get all the awesome assets you can for him now to someone who thinks they will win the cup and I suppose and build a super team for the future.

Going all out to compete every year is how you end up with Dustin Brown's contract. Or TJ Oshie's contract. Or Andrew MacDonald's contract. Leino. Hartnell. Clarkson. Richards. Lecavalier. Umberger. Lehtera.

Horrible contracts. Albatrosses that you have to give up assets to get rid of or lose guys like Panarin or Hjallmarson for pennies on the dollar.

You cannot do that every year in a cap world or you will NEVER be able to field a truly competitive team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to win a cup these days, you absolutely have to have guys on ELC's, outperforming those contracts, to field the most competitive team. Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Maatta, Murray on the Pens. Panarin, Runblad, Saad, Teravainen, Niemi on the Hawks. Lewis, Toffoli, Muzzin, Pearson on the Kings.

The teams that won multiple, had lots of ELC's contributing. The Flyers recipe is right there with those teams. When Myers, Provorov, Sanhiem, Morin, Lindblom, Patrick, Hart, etc. are all on ELC's or bridge deals, this team is going to run train on the NHL. The first round will get long term deals (Provorov, Konecny, Patrick), the second wave will get bridge deals to keep them cheaper for a few years and chase high price UFA's to put you over the top and be ultra competitive. Then eventually those deals come back to haunt you and your window closes, a la the Kings or getting close on the Caps.

The true dynasties keep drafting. Keep grooming talent. The Pens can just reload. The Hawks can just reload.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going all out to compete every year is how you end up with Dustin Brown's contract. Or TJ Oshie's contract. Or Andrew MacDonald's contract. Leino. Hartnell. Clarkson. Richards. Lecavalier. Umberger. Lehtera.

Horrible contracts. Albatrosses that you have to give up assets to get rid of or lose guys like Panarin or Hjallmarson for pennies on the dollar.

You cannot do that every year in a cap world or you will NEVER be able to field a truly competitive team.

I agree but if you keep saying in x amount of years we'll compete what happens to all the players you've acquired? They can't all stay so you have to keep replacing them, so how do you stay competitive each year? but Like you said it's a cap world so seems it would be harder. Also Clarky was a horrible GM IMO that's why we had all those horrible contracts.:D

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but if you keep saying in x amount of years we'll compete what happens to all the players you've acquired? They can't all stay so you have to keep replacing them, so how do you stay competitive each year? but Like you said it's a cap world so seems it would be harder. Also Clarky was a horrible GM IMO that's why we had all those horrible contracts.:D

See one post up.

It's all about timing. Build the pool, decide that it's deep enough, and pick the right time to pull the trigger.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So pretty much whats going on here is we have no reason to watch or root for the Flyers for three years as we have no hope of winning anything. AWESOME! :tsk:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the articles keep saying Schenn for first round picks but players picked in the mid twenties usually aren't stars in the league where as Schenn was a rising star. Not to mention Frost was rated anywhere from 25 - 60 on teams boards so he is basically a 2nd rounder.

Claude Giroux - 22
Patrice Bergeron - 45th

Just to name two off the top of my head. And to say Schenn was a rising star is a reach. I like Schenn, but he's never going to be a star.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claude Giroux - 22
Patrice Bergeron - 45th

Just to name two off the top of my head. And to say Schenn was a rising star is a reach. I like Schenn, but he's never going to be a star.
I could name about 4K guys that never made it from drafting in the 20's so to put two guys up there is silly. Schenn at 25 definitely in the top third of the league in forwards and is on the rise.