• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oilers are too young and only 5 of their 19 starters as we speak had ever been to round 2 of the playoffs before tonight. They have improved this by bringing in guys like Lucic, Desharnais, Pouliot, Maroon and Russell, but that's all they have and I don't think it's enough to get to the Cup Finals or even get past Anaheim.

We actually have this issue ourselves a bit ever since we traded away Hartnell and lost guys like Timonen and Pronger.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oilers are too young and only 5 of their 19 starters as we speak had ever been to round 2 of the playoffs before tonight. They have improved this by bringing in guys like Lucic, Desharnais, Pouliot, Maroon and Russell, but that's all they have and I don't think it's enough to get to the Cup Finals or even get past Anaheim.

We actually have this issue ourselves a bit ever since we traded away Hartnell and lost guys like Timonen and Pronger.

It's not just about playoff experience, but about players who can step it up and play well in the playoffs. Sometimes young players demonstrate that ability better than veterans...Ovechkin has playoff experience. Most of the Ducks roster does, too. Unfortunately, both have a history of completely choking in the playoffs as well.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just about playoff experience, but about players who can step it up and play well in the playoffs. Sometimes young players demonstrate that ability better than veterans...Ovechkin has playoff experience. Most of the Ducks roster does, too. Unfortunately, both have a history of completely choking in the playoffs as well.

Either way, I put a lot of stock in having been there before and done it. The Nhl does appear to rely on young players now more than ever, but experienced teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and even NYR should still be favored. The Ducks got robbed last night on that game winner. They had all of the momentum in a tie game and then a fluke goal late in the 3rd dooms them. I think they will recover because they have that veteran leadership.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once we have the cap space and start making the playoffs, I think we need to bring in a veteran or two to sort of lead the way moving forward. A couple guys who have either won the Cup or been through long playoff runs. Maybe that even occurs this offseason or at the deadline next season.

Quite frankly, I'm looking down our own roster and there aren't a lot of guys that have been to round 2 either. The addition of Filppula helps that. He's got an absolute ton of playoff experience. One Cup and no less than five long playoff runs. I hope this is one of the guys leading the charge for us next season on into the playoffs and our whole squad will be in much better shape in the present and future.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Caps definitely are the choking team. They win the President's Trophy and then lose in the 1st or 2nd round. That's why I don't see them getting past Pitt this year. The Ducks have at least made conference finals and gotten to game 7's, including a Cup in 2007, although they have been bounced in round 1 many times.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Caps definitely are the choking team. They win the President's Trophy and then lose in the 1st or 2nd round. That's why I don't see them getting past Pitt this year. The Ducks have at least made conference finals and gotten to game 7's, including a Cup in 2007, although they have been bounced in round 1 many times.
And they lost a game 7 in the Cup finals in 03. Different rooster though lol.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hate the pens.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree completely with none of them...Lol Why? Because all of them either want to protect Weal, Neuvy or ManDonald.

I probably agree most with Brent. He doesn't even mention Weal and that's because he's either non-eligible or won't be taken.

I can understand protecting Weal if he's exposed, but he still has only showed us success in very limited action at the Nhl level at already age 25. I also doubt that Vegas will pick him as a current UFA. Vegas needs at least 20 players signed through next season. Unless they talk to Weal and he agrees to sign with them, they probably won't pick him.

Now, why exactly would we protect MacDonald or Neuvy? I'm not seeing any legit reason to keep either of them. Why on earth would Vegas take either of these guys? If they did, we'd be absolutely fine with it.

Neuvy had the worst save percentage in the Nhl this season and MacDonald is probably the most overpaid defender in the league. We're going to protect one or both of these guys? Lol

As well as Weise and Read played for us at (limited) times this past season, we probably wouldn't miss either of them or their contracts. PEB was given an A, but is still only a 4th liner for us who doesn't score.

I would probably do what the Flyers were originally going to do, which is protect Raffl as the 7th forward, Manning as the 3rd defender and Stolarz in net.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under my scenario and with or without some coercion, maybe Vegas would take Read or MacDonald off our hands. Even if it's Weise, PEB, Weal, Cousins, Laughton or Neuvy, do we really sweat that? Lol Given the younger guys that we have on the way, I am thinking not at all.

If they are in fact going to protect Weal, then at least sign the guy to a new contract for God's sake. Also, wave goodbye to Raffl.

It's easy to forget now given the season ending injury to Raffl and the late spurt by Weise how effective one was for us and how terrible the other was...Lol

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, so much for Darling. His rights were traded to Carolina, so they will probably sign him ahead of free agency. Let me tell you, this is a team that is up and coming in a hurry just like we are. This guy is/was probably the best backup goalie available and he played in 32 games this season, so maybe he's ready for more.

Hurricanes acquire rights to Darling from Blackhawks - Article - TSN