• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS EXTEND ANTHONY DAVIS!!!!!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly here you go since you hold my opinion in such high regard. In the words of the man himself and his offensive coordinator, plus the guy he practices against:

Crabtree told the media this week that he’s fitter after a rigorous offseason conditioning program

“He was playing last year on a bad wheel and battled his way through it,” offensive coodinator Greg Roman told Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. “He’s much healthier this year. He certainly appears a lot quicker and faster.”

Rogers, too, told Inman that Crabtree looks faster
Niners' Crabtree Appears Faster, Fitter Than Last Season | NBC Bay Area

These articles tend to bother me because they come off as fluff at best & free propaganda at worst. It seems like a forgone conclusion that, unless a terrible bust, everyone around the team is going to rave about how much a player is working? I mean, how many times have we seen write ups that talk about the amazing progress a player has made during the offseason/in the film room, only to have nearly identical stats the following season?

Before Super Kap took over as starting QB it seemed to me like Crabtree was on pace for a similar season stats wise as he had in 2011, but the main factor in writing the article being that the regular season had not begun yet & writers have space to fill.

There is no question that Crabtree stepped it up in 2012, but how much of that was due to mitigating factors like Smith being benched, or VD not getting as many opportunities? Even while playing through injury, I think number 15 would have reached 1000 yards in 2011 with a QB like Kap or Cam.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol what a train wreck this thread turned into, from ridiculous comments to patting ourselves on the back for giving our opinion.

Ray you are way above this, you shouldn't have even let this get past a couple of posts. Anyone who knows anything could tell you that Crabtree has been slowed by injuries and this season was clearly quicker and more explosive, I think that guy just wanted to argue.

I've learned to ignore half of the people on here, there are a few on these message boards (yourself, clyde, bingo, pozz, crims, num, doobie, etc.) that I take seriously because I've known you guys for so long and know that you know your stuff. Rock on Brotha. BTW there are others who I take seriously, those are the ones off the top of my head.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even if Singletary gave input on it, wasn't it ultimately Baalke's call?

The 2nd round seems to belong to the HC.

2010: Taylor Mays (We're almost sure this was Singletary's pick)
2011: Colin Kaepernick
2012: LaMichael James

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I read on Ninercaphell that Anthony Davis is signed through 2019. So I guess the 5 years is in addition to the years on his rookie contract.

Dumb move by Davis. If he played out his contract, I think he could have made a lot more than 3 years, 37 million. But this way, he gets another chunk in his signing bounus, and I guess he didn't want to wait to get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if he's broke 3 years after he retires. I watched this documentary saying 78% of NFL players are either in bankruptcy or "finacial distress" within 2 years of retiring.

Anyway, now that I know it's just 5 years tacked onto the rookie deal, I think this was an AMAZING signing. Maybe not the steal Ray MacDonald was, but it was still a great signing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
*Correction - 5 years, 37 million. Not 3 years. Typo.

By the way, now Davis is signed through a longer duration than anyone else on the team.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Easily a great signing.. He is still only going to be what, 30-31 after his second contract? Thats great value

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read on Ninercaphell that Anthony Davis is signed through 2019. So I guess the 5 years is in addition to the years on his rookie contract.

Dumb move by Davis. If he played out his contract, I think he could have made a lot more than 3 years, 37 million. But this way, he gets another chunk in his signing bounus, and I guess he didn't want to wait to get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if he's broke 3 years after he retires. I watched this documentary saying 78% of NFL players are either in bankruptcy or "finacial distress" within 2 years of retiring.

Anyway, now that I know it's just 5 years tacked onto the rookie deal, I think this was an AMAZING signing. Maybe not the steal Ray MacDonald was, but it was still a great signing.

Some players like the security of having a long term deal. It's the NFL where an injury is only the next play away. He got more guaranteed money then FA Jake Long and Loadholt so it's a win - win deal for both parties.

He might very well be broke after he retires but it wouldn't matter if he gets paid 17 mil now or 30 mil in FA. If you can't manage your money right(or have the right people manage it for you) then how much you made doesn't matter. Antoine Walker lost over 100 million and declared bankruptcy. I can only imagine how much money athletes like Jordan, Barkley, and Daly lost gambling. Probably more then most players make in a career.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I can only imagine how much money athletes like Jordan, Barkley, and Daly lost gambling. Probably more then most players make in a career.

Easy.

I'm glad the Baalke can capitalize on Davis' lack of long-term financial shrewdness. I think they definitely would've paid more if Davis waited longer. He's a hell of a GM. The Niners are lucky to have him. He's already made some great moves this offseason. My ONLY beef with him is that he blew it at the WR position the past 2 years. Should've traded for Steve Smith or signed Mike Wallace in the 2012 offseason.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy.

I'm glad the Baalke can capitalize on Davis' lack of long-term financial shrewdness. I think they definitely would've paid more if Davis waited longer. He's a hell of a GM. The Niners are lucky to have him. He's already made some great moves this offseason. My ONLY beef with him is that he blew it at the WR position the past 2 years. Should've traded for Steve Smith or signed Mike Wallace in the 2012 offseason.

Definitely blew it with Braylon Edwards, but I think it would have worked out pretty well last year if Manningham didn't get hurt. But so far Edwards, Moss, and Jenkins have all busted for Baalke. Maybe Jenkins will still redeem himself and Baalke, but I guess overall you're right that Baalke has kinda wiffed at WR.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe davis wanted to stay with the niners and not go for the big bucks. can't say it's a dumb move by davis cuss he's obviously not going for the money only...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
maybe davis wanted to stay with the niners and not go for the big bucks. can't say it's a dumb move by davis cuss he's obviously not going for the money only...

He could've stayed with the Niners AND gotten the big bucks. Easily. By the end of 2014, 37 million will be an insulting, low-ball offer for a tackle of Davis' caliber.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Iupati - G - 49ers

The San Francisco Chronicle suggests LG Mike Iupati is "next in line" for a contract extension.

Iupati was nothing short of dominant last season, earning first-team All-Pro honors and grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 5 overall guard. "In scouting, you live for those moments when you find someone that comes out at his position that isn't likely to come out for another five to 10 years," GM Trent Baalke said when asked about Iupati last fall. He's under contract through 2014 and will likely be seeking Andy Levitre kind of money (six years, $46.8M) in an extension.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Apr 10 - 11:33 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 2013 cap hit did go up for Anthony Davis. Took awhile for the league to update. We now have $1,034,822.00 in cap space.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So 2013 cap hit did go up for Anthony Davis. Took awhile for the league to update. We now have $1,034,822.00 in cap space.

We are broke. What are we going to do with all of our draft picks? :omg:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mike Iupati - G - 49ers

The San Francisco Chronicle suggests LG Mike Iupati is "next in line" for a contract extension.

Iupati was nothing short of dominant last season, earning first-team All-Pro honors and grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 5 overall guard. "In scouting, you live for those moments when you find someone that comes out at his position that isn't likely to come out for another five to 10 years," GM Trent Baalke said when asked about Iupati last fall. He's under contract through 2014 and will likely be seeking Andy Levitre kind of money (six years, $46.8M) in an extension.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Apr 10 - 11:33 AM

If they can get a blue-light special on Iupati the way they did w/ Davis, sisgn him up! I hope Iupati is as ahort-sided as Davis was. That'll keep 4/5 of the best OL in tact for years to come (and those are the 4 best ones).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get a blue-light special on Iupati the way they did w/ Davis, sisgn him up! I hope Iupati is as ahort-sided as Davis was. That'll keep 4/5 of the best OL in tact for years to come (and those are the 4 best ones).

That'd be awesome if Iupati did what Bowman did, take a big chunk of money but not chasing the highest paid player at his position tag.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Marathe needs to be extended next

Sign him to an exclusive rights contract that only allow his services to be utilized in the Santa Clara zipcode, unless attended by ownership(specifically York, Jed) and/or specifically instructed to perform out of zone renegotiations. I.E. on a golf course in Hawaii, FLA, or other beneficial locale to both parties.

Thanks Paraag, your lifetime support has and will be much appreciated to championships throughout the future.