• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

46n2's Conference Projections (5/18/2012)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were saying that this would be a football-only jump? If it were a full-jump, I'd say it's a no brainer to go to the B1G .. If it's just football, it's a toss up. I think either would be better than sinking with the ship.

I travel some to Madison on business and know plenty of Wisconsin fans .. Would love to swing a "business trip" to Camp Randall ... and there are more Big 10 fans around here than SEC (other than the occasional Tennessee fan) .. so it would be fun.

If we could just rid the world of shitty WVU fans ....

For the Hokies it would be a full jump. The same is true (I know at least for the B1G). I don't know if it will be the case for the other conferences.

I think the Vt Admin see it this way (and I tend to agree)

A jump to the SEC is a boost for football
A jump to the B1G is a boost for the university as a whole.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A jump to the SEC is a boost for football
A jump to the B1G is a boost for the university as a whole.

Yep -- we could all agree with that.

gradam01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just read that starting in 2014 the Big12 and SEC champs will play each other annually just like the B1G and Pac12.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do you think the first domino will fall?

You say VT to Big 10 is 60%. Where is the other 40? SEC, a survival ACC or conference oblivion?

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at some of those projections and all I can do is cringe. I mean, Rutgers in the SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE? Seriously?

Geography be damned! Maybe I'm too much of a stickler for this new version of conference realignment. The least they could do is rename the conferences after it's all said and done. The Big East can't be considered east anymore when they span to California. The same goes for the SEC - you can't be Southeastern if you span up to NJ.

That being said, I like the thought of VT to the B1G. Academically it makes sense and that's a stance that the University could justify to themselves, alumni, future students, and boosters. The B1G would also be a step-up in talent football wise and maybe even basketball wise (right now, at least). It would make more all-around sense for VT to end up in the B1G. I've always seen Tech as more of a fit with Penn State, OSU, and Wisconsin than Auburn, Alabama, and Florida.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ND would have to join a conference in a 4 conference scenario.

There would probably not be enough quality teams with open schedules to give them much of a chance otherwise.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at some of those projections and all I can do is cringe. I mean, Rutgers in the SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE? Seriously?

Geography be damned! Maybe I'm too much of a stickler for this new version of conference realignment. The least they could do is rename the conferences after it's all said and done. The Big East can't be considered east anymore when they span to California. The same goes for the SEC - you can't be Southeastern if you span up to NJ.

That being said, I like the thought of VT to the B1G. Academically it makes sense and that's a stance that the University could justify to themselves, alumni, future students, and boosters. The B1G would also be a step-up in talent football wise and maybe even basketball wise (right now, at least). It would make more all-around sense for VT to end up in the B1G. I've always seen Tech as more of a fit with Penn State, OSU, and Wisconsin than Auburn, Alabama, and Florida.

Yeah, it is a mess. My only concern is VT, ha ha.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ND would have to join a conference in a 4 conference scenario.

There would probably not be enough quality teams with open schedules to give them much of a chance otherwise.

The biggest question I have is what happens all the other decent schools that aren't making it into the 4 super conferences? Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland, South Florida, Navy, and others are quality schools that are getting dumped to the side. I honestly don't really think 4 super conferences are the answer...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the biggest question I have is what happens all the other decent schools that aren't making it into the 4 super conferences? Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland, South Florida, Navy, and others are quality schools that are getting dumped to the side. I honestly don't really think 4 super conferences are the answer...

...as I understand it, pretty much

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the biggest question I have is what happens all the other decent schools that aren't making it into the 4 super conferences? Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland, South Florida, Navy, and others are quality schools that are getting dumped to the side. I honestly don't really think 4 super conferences are the answer...

I dont know , its kind of a shame to leave them out because they arent in a big conference but the powers that be dont care what the fans want.

I can easily see more controversy if they do this and one of the "other " schools go undefeated.

CrimsonFan

Cashing Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the 4 super conference idea. :(

CrimsonFan

Cashing Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of decent schools won't get in either.. And I did cringe at seeing rugters under the SEC

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers... in the SEC...

I am personally & officially rejecting their application right now.

If the Sec were to expand further, I think we go after a powerhouse. We already added two scrubs, I don't see them adding two more. VT, or maybe someone like Miami (vomit) would be much more appealing.

Ugh. I say we try to poach WV from the Big12 before we add Rutgers. Shit, invite Miami before Rutgers :L

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big-12 was on the verge of collapse last year but now they're pretty much safe. They just locked arms with the biggest conference in college football and so now the attention turns to the ACC to see what FSU/Clemson do.

If FSU and Clemson jump, I think things begin happening very quickly.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont know , its kind of a shame to leave them out because they arent in a big conference but the powers that be dont care what the fans want.

I can easily see more controversy if they do this and one of the "other " schools go undefeated.

then they can play for a championship in the "other" division. IMO this is no different than simply adding another division for CFB.