• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 3) Philadelphia 76ers vs. 2) Boston Celtics

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you do your research and find out Simmons is a rookie?
He's not. he only technically qualifies as one though he was on the team last year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not. he only technically qualifies as one though he was on the team last year.

Basically, he's a rookie in the same sense that a redshirt freshman in college is still a freshman.

He still counts as a freshman because he didn't play in a game all season. But he does have the advantage over other freshmen of having been with the team for a year.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to say that youse guys are so close to finally nailing this one down.
Keep up the good work.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, he's a rookie in the same sense that a redshirt freshman in college is still a freshman.

He still counts as a freshman because he didn't play in a game all season. But he does have the advantage over other freshmen of having been with the team for a year.
I know Mitchell from Utah is pissed about it. Feels like Simmons should not be competing against him for RoY

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Mitchell from Utah is pissed about it. Feels like Simmons should not be competing against him for RoY

I think Mitchell has a legit gripe. He didn't have the benefit of spending a year w/ the organization like Simmons did w/ Philly.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is just a whiny complaint related to a meaningless award. That whole argument only became an argument after Mitchell started playing really well and got his own fanboys/girls.

From a practical perspective Simmons very much was a rookie regardless of the dumb award.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is just a whiny complaint related to a meaningless award. That whole argument only became an argument after Mitchell started playing really well and got his own fanboys/girls.

From a practical perspective Simmons very much was a rookie regardless of the dumb award.
Unless his contract calls for some significant bonus if he wins the award.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless his contract calls for some significant bonus if he wins the award.

He's on a slotted contract. And regardless, Ben Simmons didn't make the rules. And he isn't the first player to miss his rookie season and win RoY.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on a slotted contract. And regardless, Ben Simmons didn't make the rules. And he isn't the first player to miss his rookie season and win RoY.
So they can't give bonuses anymore for winning End of Season awards?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they can't give bonuses anymore for winning End of Season awards?

Depends if it was in this contract. But considering that contractually this is his 2nd year, he probably won't qualify for it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends if it was in this contract. But considering that contractually this is his 2nd year, he probably won't qualify for it.
I was talking about Mitchell. Flyer thought he was whining about a meaningless award but it wouldn't be meaningless to Mitchell if he had a significant bonus in his contract for winning RoY.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about Mitchell. Flyer thought he was whining about a meaningless award but it wouldn't be meaningless to Mitchell if he had a significant bonus in his contract for winning RoY.

Gotta tell ya, on the list of things I care about, whether some millionaire basketball player gets a few hundred grand more by winning a award ranks pretty low.

If Mitchell wins the award, good for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Mitchell has a legit gripe. He didn't have the benefit of spending a year w/ the organization like Simmons did w/ Philly.

Here's the thing. It's the Rookie of the Year Award and Simmons, while technically a rookie, still had an advantage over every other rookie. Even though he never played and even if he never practiced with the team (which he did)...what he learned put his learning curve ahead of the true rookies. This simply can't be disputed. Simmons was learning his teams system, how his teammates played, he was learning travel, studying film and working with NBA players and coaches well before the other rookies even knew what team they would be playing for.

Also, don't kid yourself about what these awards mean to these players, especially if there is a bonus of some sort attached to it.

As I've posted before, it certainly doesn't happen enough to make any changes outside of maybe changing the name to "Newcomer of the Year" like some conferences do in college.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing. It's the Rookie of the Year Award and Simmons, while technically a rookie, still had an advantage over every other rookie. Even though he never played and even if he never practiced with the team (which he did)...what he learned put his learning curve ahead of the true rookies. This simply can't be disputed. Simmons was learning his teams system, how his teammates played, he was learning travel, studying film and working with NBA players and coaches well before the other rookies even knew what team they would be playing for.

Also, don't kid yourself about what these awards mean to these players, especially if there is a bonus of some sort attached to it.

As I've posted before, it certainly doesn't happen enough to make any changes outside of maybe changing the name to "Newcomer of the Year" like some conferences do in college.

As I said, I NEVER heard about anything like this before. While I'm sure it helped him. But do you think that Ben Simmons would have been better off with

A) Missing his rookie season and traveling with the team for half the season in street clothes.
B) Playing another year of college basketball

If you are seriously arguing that option A was CLEARLY the better choice, then you and I are going to fundamentally disagree.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, I NEVER heard about anything like this before. While I'm sure it helped him. But do you think that Ben Simmons would have been better off with

A) Missing his rookie season and traveling with the team for half the season in street clothes.
B) Playing another year of college basketball

If you are seriously arguing that option A was CLEARLY the better choice, then you and I are going to fundamentally disagree.

The answer is A and it's not really that close. There is a world of difference between collecting an NBA paycheck, studying film with NBA coaches and players, learning the travel, the schedule, working with NBA trainers, learning your teams system, learning your teammates preferences and tendencies and studying opponents and their tendencies.

He was able to do all of that without any pressure of having to win any games or having to show up to class. There's virtually nothing for a player at his level to get from staying in college except injured. He also got to spend some time practicing with actual NBA players, not a college team where almost every other member of his team will be doing something other than playing basketball for a living.