• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3 best Steely Dan Songs ....

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go against the grain here by posting 3 of my fave tunes from each album, beginning with their 1st.....

Damn tough album to single out three. Do It Again is pretty sweet. Good call on Only A Fool Would Say That. I'd have a hard time picking between Dirty Work, Midnight Cruiser, Reelin' In The Years and Fire In The Hole for the third song.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that I agree with all your picks from the various albums, but I wouldn't disagree with any of them up until this album.

No Jack of Speed? What. The. Fuck?

From there I'd go with Two Against Nature and Gaslighting Abbie.

Well to be honest, it is my least favorite album of theirs.....and I did consider J.o.S...but I pretty much rolled the dice with my choices on this one.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be honest, it is my least favorite album of theirs.....and I did consider J.o.S...but I pretty much rolled the dice with my choices on this one.

I actually have Citizen Steely Dan so where one album ends and one begins is kind of lost on me. That's the bad thing about boxed sets, but I got everything they released for fifty bucks, or some shit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've probably seen them a half dozen times or so and with the exception of last summer at Blossom Music Center, they've been amazing. Seemed like they were phoning it in last year - I actually left early.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this album way more than Two Against Nature.....

I've never really thought about which one I like better. I think I agree with you though, I like Everything Must Go, but I wouldn't say way "way more."

My screen name comes from a line in Godwhacker.

Funny, my favorite song on this one is Green Book, hands down and you don't list it in your top four. Then I'd probably go with Everything Must Go and Lunch With Gina.

The Last Mall, Things I Miss The Most, Blues Beach and Godwhacker are awesome too.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old college friend of mine did some production/mixing on 1 or 2 Larry Carlton albums back in the 80's...and also did some tech stuff on D. Fagan's "The Nightfly" album...and he scored one of the pre release mixdowns for me before it hit the shelves. I'm also a huge fan of "Kamakiriad". Both are criminally underrated imho.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old college friend of mine did some production/mixing on 1 or 2 Larry Carlton albums back in the 80's...and also did some tech stuff on D. Fagan's "The Nightfly" album...and he scored one of the pre release mixdowns for me before it hit the shelves. I'm also a huge fan of "Kamakiriad". Both are criminally underrated imho.

...I'm Lester The Nightfly, hello Baton Rouge. . .

Good stuff.

Green Flower Street, New Frontier and I.G.Y.

I read an article saying that I.G.Y. and/or the whole album are often used by professional sound guys to test their sound system set ups because of the clarity of recording and range of sounds. Pretty cool.

I really need to buy Kamakiriad. I've heard some songs off of it, but don't own it. I do have his most recent, Sunken Condos, which is pretty good, but I think I like Nightfly better.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...I'm Lester The Nightfly, hello Baton Rouge. . .

Good stuff.

Green Flower Street, New Frontier and I.G.Y.

I read an article saying that I.G.Y. and/or the whole album are often used by professional sound guys to test their sound system set ups because of the clarity of recording and range of sounds. Pretty cool.

I really need to buy Kamakiriad. I've heard some songs off of it, but don't own it. I do have his most recent, Sunken Condos, which is pretty good, but I think I like Nightfly better.

yep...that was one of the earliest uses of digital sound tech back in the day...

*Morph the Cat
is an interesting one too...it was the most critically successful of his solo releases.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You inspired me to put blare the song Everything Must Go on my way home from the office today. The sax and the bass, so fuckin' tasty.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also a big fan of the song The Royal Scam. If you have a good sound system with a heavy low range, the bass horn's tone (maybe a tuba?), will rattle your spleen.