• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2TE, 2RB, 1WR

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Granted I know this is the formation Gore got his big run on but Roman seriously needs to use this less.

It invites the defenses to bunch up and clog up the running game which has been happening a lot as the RB is finding himself bottled up at the LOS. Gore is just so good at squeezing through tight spaces he's able to get a few more yards than he should.

But worse of it kills off what we can do in the passing game. We do have 2 pass catching TEs and 1 WR so that makes 3 pass catchers and at least 1 RB to pass to but everyone is so bunched up it's hard to get guys spread out and open with it.

So if Kap has a run play and reads the defense is susceptible to the pass he's pretty limited in what he can do. And that's if Roman gives him a pass play to switch into in the first place.

I'm not saying we should do away with it but it seems like defenses have caught on to it and I would rather see more playmakers on the field.

I love me some Miller but I would much rather see LMJ with a 3 yard catch who has a chance at a big play than Miller who has basically 0 shot at it.

There is a reason the FB position isn't used at much and there is a reason teams only go with 2 TE and 2 RBs in short yardage situations.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Granted I know this is the formation Gore got his big run on but Roman seriously needs to use this less.

It invites the defenses to bunch up and clog up the running game which has been happening a lot as the RB is finding himself bottled up at the LOS. Gore is just so good at squeezing through tight spaces he's able to get a few more yards than he should.

But worse of it kills off what we can do in the passing game. We do have 2 pass catching TEs and 1 WR so that makes 3 pass catchers and at least 1 RB to pass to but everyone is so bunched up it's hard to get guys spread out and open with it.

So if Kap has a run play and reads the defense is susceptible to the pass he's pretty limited in what he can do. And that's if Roman gives him a pass play to switch into in the first place.

I'm not saying we should do away with it but it seems like defenses have caught on to it and I would rather see more playmakers on the field.

I love me some Miller but I would much rather see LMJ with a 3 yard catch who has a chance at a big play than Miller who has basically 0 shot at it.

There is a reason the FB position isn't used at much and there is a reason teams only go with 2 TE and 2 RBs in short yardage situations.

don't disagree but depends who we play, teams like Seattle can defend pass too. so today wasn't a good example.

e don't always run out this formation, do we?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I am tired of seeing the formation so much

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
don't disagree but depends who we play, teams like Seattle can defend pass too. so today wasn't a good example.

e don't always run out this formation, do we?

Well that's the thing against good defenses you don't want to run this formation against them because they can match up with it.

In this formation Roman is trying to match numbers with numbers which is fine against lesser teams but not so good against good teams.

One problem is our offensive line isn't as strong as it was last season so they aren't winning the battles like they need to get big gains on the ground.

The biggest problem with the formation is defenses aren't fooled by it.

We try to confuse them by mixing up the formation in the backfield by mixing up where Miller, Gore, and sometimes the TE lineup but ultimately for a defense they can completely ignore all that. All they need to do is key in on Gore (or Hunter if he's in there), identify which side he's running to and attack the LOS to clog everything up and make the tackle.

A vast majority of the time with that personnel grouping we either run Gore left or right so when a defense sees 2 TE, 1 WR, and 2 RBs they almost know exactly what we're going to run and that they can count on pulling linemen. If a defense knows what you're doing it's always going to be an uphill battle for the offensive line even if you do match numbers.

Another issue is that we lack the speedster you really need at the WR position for the formation. If you have a speedster at the WR spot you could play action off the formation and with everyone on defense bunched up hope your speedster beats his guy and catches the ball for a huge gain.

I just don't think you take Crabtree, Boldin, VD, and Gore off the field (aside from getting a breather) since you want to keep as many of your playmakers on the field as possible and keep defenses guessing what you're going to do.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we need to play action pass out of this formation

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
we need to play action pass out of this formation

It would only be great if we had a speedster at WR.

It's a good formation for passing when you need a short couple of yards like for a TD but for the most part it sucks for passing out of it.

Part of the problem is with 1 WR spread out wide that leaves plenty of DBs to cover the TEs if they go out for a pass and Miller is easily covered by a LB.

Miller is the problem with passing out of the formation because he's taking up the spot that could be used for another WR to spread out the defense a little more and give the TEs more favorable matchups or he could be used by a much more threatening playmaker that could shake an LB in coverage or at least demand a little more attention from the defense in the passing game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well that's the thing against good defenses you don't want to run this formation against them because they can match up with it.

In this formation Roman is trying to match numbers with numbers which is fine against lesser teams but not so good against good teams.

One problem is our offensive line isn't as strong as it was last season so they aren't winning the battles like they need to get big gains on the ground.

The biggest problem with the formation is defenses aren't fooled by it.

We try to confuse them by mixing up the formation in the backfield by mixing up where Miller, Gore, and sometimes the TE lineup but ultimately for a defense they can completely ignore all that. All they need to do is key in on Gore (or Hunter if he's in there), identify which side he's running to and attack the LOS to clog everything up and make the tackle.

A vast majority of the time with that personnel grouping we either run Gore left or right so when a defense sees 2 TE, 1 WR, and 2 RBs they almost know exactly what we're going to run and that they can count on pulling linemen. If a defense knows what you're doing it's always going to be an uphill battle for the offensive line even if you do match numbers.

Another issue is that we lack the speedster you really need at the WR position for the formation. If you have a speedster at the WR spot you could play action off the formation and with everyone on defense bunched up hope your speedster beats his guy and catches the ball for a huge gain.

I just don't think you take Crabtree, Boldin, VD, and Gore off the field (aside from getting a breather) since you want to keep as many of your playmakers on the field as possible and keep defenses guessing what you're going to do.

not trying to defend this grouping and fine with mixing it up. but again, do we ALWAYS run out of this grouping? today, pretty sure we passed out of it too. so you make the D play run and sometimes you ix in the pass.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see 3 WR a TE and RB a few more times now that they have better WR available. Lets spread out that defense and let gore get easy yards. or long chunk plays with the WRs

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought today was the most I've seen 3 WRs on the field since Harbaugh took over, but that could be because I was paying closer attention to it since all 3 WRs are healthy now.

I think it has become pretty clear that a deep threat at WR is, IMO, the most important need this offseason. Baalke/Harbaugh know it and hopefully we see Vance take a step forward next season because Miller has been good with everything he's been asked to do, but he's no Walker and Vance hasn't been able to fill those shoes. This formation was much more dangerous with Davis, Walker and Crabtree.