• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd College Football Playoff Rankings - TOP 10

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. I still like the idea of taking all p5 conference champions and a couple at large though. That kind of fixes that issue. Obviously there'd be bitching and moaning for the at large spots, but at least there'd be a clear path to guarantee an in, win your conference.

You'd be punishing conferences for having strength in them and rewarding the weaker conferences. Being in the SEC would then become a bad thing because of the teams you'd have to play while being in an easier conference like the Big12 would be a bonus and give teams an easier path.

That would make it dumb for conferences to do things like revenue sharing because the bigger teams would be better off keeping the bulk of the money for themselves and not helping the lower teams be better.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what of all the regular season games you would be making less meaningful?

that argument doesnt hold water, if anything it makes them more meaningful.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that argument doesnt hold water, if anything it makes them more meaningful.

And how is that?

If you only have to win your conference to get in, what would the USC vs Alabama game to start this year have mattered?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how is that?

If you only have to win your conference to get in, what would the USC vs Alabama game to start this year have mattered?

Pretty simple. If there are 4 teams getting in there are probably 6-8 teams in contention late in the year. If it is 8 teams, that number can be 12-16. Seeding is also important.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple. If there are 4 teams getting in there are probably 6-8 teams in contention late in the year. If it is 8 teams, that number can be 12-16. Seeding is also important.

This is false.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is false.

No it is fact. Not sure how you would argue that expanding playoff would make less teams playing for something meaningful. That is just not a logical position.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for Penn State...

I would rather have them in there than A&M. Penn St has the better win, the best win out of any top 10 team, their loss to Pittsburgh is also not as bad the A&M loss to Miss St.

So if you don't have Penn St in there, you don't have A&M in there either.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it is fact. Not sure how you would argue that expanding playoff would make less teams playing for something meaningful. That is just not a logical position.

#1. Your numbers were bullshit on the number of teams that are in contention late in the year.

#2. Most of these games would actually be rematches of the conference championships, unless you specifically go in and make them not rematches. Because you know, that's who the teams in the 4-8 range are going to be.

#3. All you have to do is look to the NFL to see how regular seasons games don't matter much. You get to the end of the year and teams were not playing starters and taking a loss just because the games were meaningless. They've had to try and put division games towards the end of the year to compensate for it.

Alabama's game this weekend for example vs Miss St would become a meaningless game. Alabama loses and it wouldn't matter at all because Alabama could still win the conference and be guaranteed a spot.

#4. Automatic qualifiers are stupid and would only exist to prop up teams that don't deserve it. You have 8 spots available and you still need to give a team AQ status? If they don't meet the top8 without the AQ - maybe there is a reason for it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1. Your numbers were bullshit on the number of teams that are in contention late in the year.

It was an estimate, there is no way to know the exact numbers. You are better than that

#2. Most of these games would actually be rematches of the conference championships, unless you specifically go in and make them not rematches. Because you know, that's who the teams in the 4-8 range are going to be.

is that true? Louisville is in the mix.

#3. All you have to do is look to the NFL to see how regular seasons games don't matter much. You get to the end of the year and teams were not playing starters and taking a loss just because the games were meaningless. They've had to try and put division games towards the end of the year to compensate for it.

They matter. Adding playoff spots would mean 2 loss teams are playing meaningful games. During the BCS period 2 losses generally meant you we out of contention. That wouldnt be the case with 6-8 team playoff, so a lot more teams would be playing meaningful games.

Alabama's game this weekend for example vs Miss St would become a meaningless game. Alabama loses and it wouldn't matter at all because Alabama could still win the conference and be guaranteed a spot.

#4. Automatic qualifiers are stupid and would only exist to prop up teams that don't deserve it. You have 8 spots available and you still need to give a team AQ status? If they don't meet the top8 without the AQ - maybe there is a reason for it.

Actually it would increase the chances that Big 10/SEC would get in 2 teams and reward teams for playing tough schedules. More deserving teams would get in.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have them in there than A&M. Penn St has the better win, the best win out of any top 10 team, their loss to Pittsburgh is also not as bad the A&M loss to Miss St.

So if you don't have Penn St in there, you don't have A&M in there either.
Both are overrated IMO. But, someone has to be there. It is beginning to look like we have 1-6 teams and nothing after that. Should have blanks or TBDs until about #15.
Penn State lost to #3 Michigan 49-10. A&M lost to #1 Bama 33-14.
Same, same

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are overrated IMO. But, someone has to be there. It is beginning to look like we have 1-6 teams and nothing after that. Should have blanks or TBDs until about #15.
Same, same

Yeah lost and they were not competitive games and both could be overrated....Penn St has the better bad loss and the better top win---the best win in the country. Both have similar resumes and both have a case to not be in the top 10 but who else is deserving behind them...Oklahoma, Colorado, Oklahoma St, Va Tech...none of those teams are top 10 worthy or could make the case they are better except Oklahoma.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week's top four makes more sense than last week's, but I think Louisville deserves to be ranked ahead of Ohio St.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same, same

Yeah lost and they were not competitive games and both could be overrated....Penn St has the better bad loss and the better top win---the best win in the country. Both have similar resumes and both have a case to not be in the top 10 but who else is deserving behind them...Oklahoma, Colorado, Oklahoma St, Va Tech...none of those teams are top 10 worthy or could make the case they are better except Oklahoma.

Actually, I think Wisconsin, Auburn & Colorado can all make a better case than Oklahoma.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I think Wisconsin, Auburn & Colorado can all make a better case than Oklahoma.
Believe it or not, I'd like OU's chances against those three...at least defensively. They struggle with chunk and catch squads with dual threat QBs. Offensively, Auburn would be able to best defend Mayfield, Westbrook, Perine. JMO

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same, same

Auburn's best win is a nailbiter vs LSU
Colorado has zero "good wins". Stanford? Nah.
Wisconsin does have the 2 best losses in the country and beat LSU and Nebraska so they could make a case.

Other than Wisconsin...it's apples to oranges. Oklahoma's resume isn't the strongest but they are on a hotstreak and will probably climb up regardless. Oh well...they are all 2 loss teams regardless

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In an 8 team playoff with AQ games - tell me what does the Alabama vs Miss St game mean this weekend?

Tell me why it wouldn't be better for Alabama to spend this weekend healing up and getting the backups experience and prepare for the Auburn game 2 weeks later - the only one that has a potential to matter this year in an 8 team playoff.

Alabama in an 8 game playoff could just skip the game and not be harmed. They could skip next week's cupcake game as well and not be harmed.

Going even further - what is the benefit in being in a tougher conference? Big team would benefit NOT from conferences adding quality teams, but by adding easy wins.

You're removing the very thing that makes college football so awesome.

And you are doing it for what reason? Because the current system is bad/wrong? No, because it's not.