• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd College Football Playoff Rankings - TOP 10

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an 8 team playoff with AQ games - tell me what does the Alabama vs Miss St game mean this weekend?

Tell me why it wouldn't be better for Alabama to spend this weekend healing up and getting the backups experience and prepare for the Auburn game 2 weeks later - the only one that has a potential to matter this year in an 8 team playoff.

Alabama in an 8 game playoff could just skip the game and not be harmed. They could skip next week's cupcake game as well and not be harmed.

Going even further - what is the benefit in being in a tougher conference? Big team would benefit NOT from conferences adding quality teams, but by adding easy wins.

You're removing the very thing that makes college football so awesome.

And you are doing it for what reason? Because the current system is bad/wrong? No, because it's not.

Bama loses and they move down in seedings. What does Bama/Miss State mean today? You really think 1 loss would knock them out?

Yes. bama would throw the Auburn game. That is EXACTLY what would happen.

Now I need you to focus on the rest of CFB. Assume an 8 game playoff is happening this year. Ask yourself how many teams in the top 25 are still playing for a slot in that 8 game playoff vs how many are playing for a slot in the playoffs now.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama loses and they move down in seedings. What does Bama/Miss State mean today? You really think 1 loss would knock them out?

Yes. bama would throw the Auburn game. That is EXACTLY what would happen.

Now I need you to focus on the rest of CFB. Assume an 8 game playoff is happening this year. Ask yourself how many teams in the top 25 are still playing for a slot in that 8 game playoff vs how many are playing for a slot in the playoffs now.

Oh no, not move down in the seedings! How terrible that would be!

Wtf does that even matter? If you are going to win a national championship you gotta beat the best teams eventually. Do you think it matters to me when we lost to Ohio St in 2014? It doesn't. I wouldn't have felt any better to have lost to them in the NCG than the semi.

Oh, so it's most important that teams playing for 8th place have meaningful games? What a crock of shit. But to answer the question - it's basically the same teams that currently have a chance at the conference championships and the games you want to add are basically teams that would be rematches for the top4.

Current top 8rankings have:

Alabama/Texas A&M
Clemson/Lousiville.
Michigan/Ohio St/Wisconsin

And basically Washington as the only team that doesn't have a potential rematch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, not move down in the seedings! How terrible that would be!

Wtf does that even matter? If you are going to win a national championship you gotta beat the best teams eventually. Do you think it matters to me when we lost to Ohio St in 2014? It doesn't. I wouldn't have felt any better to have lost to them in the NCG than the semi.

Oh, so it's most important that teams playing for 8th place have meaningful games? What a crock of shit. But to answer the question - it's basically the same teams that currently have a chance at the conference championships and the games you want to add are basically teams that would be rematches for the top4.

Current top 8rankings have:

Alabama/Texas A&M
Clemson/Lousiville.
Michigan/Ohio St/Wisconsin

And basically Washington as the only team that doesn't have a potential rematch.

If you think playing #8 is the same as playing #1, than logic has left the building

So now you are saying you dont care if the 8th team has a meaningful game. Your argument has gone from there will be less meaningful games to you dont care that there are more meaningful games. Interesting tactic

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope an 8 team playoff NEVER happens. It would ruin college football. Ruin. Keep it at 4 and don't reward teams that shouldn't be rewarded.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope an 8 team playoff NEVER happens. It would ruin college football. Ruin. Keep it at 4 and don't reward teams that shouldn't be rewarded.

I personally like a larger format, but I would prefer home games and byes as part of that. We are long way from something like that. At a minimum I would like 6 with #1/#2 getting a bye.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think playing #8 is the same as playing #1, than logic has left the building

If you think it's just a single game, then you don't know what a playoff is.

As I said, do you think I give a fuck when we lost to Ohio St in 2014? I don't. And btw, that was with Alabama having the best seed. Most people would say that was the game that really decided the national championship that year.

So now you are saying you dont care if the 8th team has a meaningful game. Your argument has gone from there will be less meaningful games to you dont care that there are more meaningful games. Interesting tactic

In the context of meaningful being playoff contending - no I do not.

In truth, those games already have meaning because most of these teams are still trying to get into the conference championship. As I've pointed out repeatedly, these extra teams you are wanting to add are basically just the conference championship loser and/or the 2nd best team in a league that has already lost to the 1st.

And since it's not like the playoffs are the only prize at the end of the year, there are other reasons to keep the games meaningful.

But when it comes to my example with Alabama and Miss St this weekend - there is nothing to keep it meaningful with AQ conference championships.

And I notice you refuse to address other things like how you are punishing teams for playing in a stronger conference. Hell, A&M would have a decent chance of winning the Big12 this year. No chance in the SEC. As such, A&M would be better off in the Big12 than the SEC, which is the exact opposite of what it should be.

Nothing more than handouts to teams for shit they don't deserve.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought OSU would be 4, but in my defense I was basing it on what the committee said last week. In other SOS news, Michigan will play it's first team that has a conference win on the road this weekend.

What does this even mean? UM is playing their first team that has a conference road win? I'm confused.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think it's just a single game, then you don't know what a playoff is.

As I said, do you think I give a fuck when we lost to Ohio St in 2014? I don't. And btw, that was with Alabama having the best seed. Most people would say that was the game that really decided the national championship that year.

In the context of meaningful being playoff contending - no I do not.

In truth, those games already have meaning because most of these teams are still trying to get into the conference championship. As I've pointed out repeatedly, these extra teams you are wanting to add are basically just the conference championship loser and/or the 2nd best team in a league that has already lost to the 1st.

And since it's not like the playoffs are the only prize at the end of the year, there are other reasons to keep the games meaningful.

But when it comes to my example with Alabama and Miss St this weekend - there is nothing to keep it meaningful with AQ conference championships.

And I notice you refuse to address other things like how you are punishing teams for playing in a stronger conference. Hell, A&M would have a decent chance of winning the Big12 this year. No chance in the SEC. As such, A&M would be better off in the Big12 than the SEC, which is the exact opposite of what it should be.

Nothing more than handouts to teams for shit they don't deserve.

How am I punishing teams for playing in a stronger conference? I am actually opening up more spots for teams that play tougher schedules. It is quite possible that one of the best 4 teams does not make the playoffs. It is also possible that the best team in a conference does not win its conference, based on uneven conference scheduling. The current set up is biased to conference champions and that is written in black and white. I am am actually looking to help teams that play in a tough conference or have a tough conference/overall schedule. You are the one that wants it to stay the same and that system is biased towards conference champions.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this even mean? UM is playing their first team that has a conference road win? I'm confused.

ESPN threw that out. They have yet to play a team on the road that has won a single conference game. Pretty crazy stat at this pt of the season. I assume that is probably a quirk in scheduling and they will play most of their away games over the next few weeks. It also highlights the fact that Michigan has not been tested on the road yet.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I punishing teams for playing in a stronger conference? I am actually opening up more spots for teams that play tougher schedules. It is quite possible that one of the best 4 teams does not make the playoffs. It is also possible that the best team in a conference does not win its conference, based on uneven conference scheduling. The current set up is biased to conference champions and that is written in black and white. I am am actually looking to help teams that play in a tough conference or have a tough conference/overall schedule. You are the one that wants it to stay the same and that system is biased towards conference champions.

Because you are giving spots away to teams that play in weaker conferences/schedules.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN threw that out. They have yet to play a team on the road that has won a single conference game. Pretty crazy stat at this pt of the season. I assume that is probably a quirk in scheduling and they will play most of their away games over the next few weeks. It also highlights the fact that Michigan has not been tested on the road yet.

Not sure who our road games have been against. Rutgers and Michigan State. We have Iowa Saturday night and Ohio State to end the year.

UM had a ton of home games this year. But in all honesty, outside of the quarter where Colorado scored on the opening drive and then had a fumble return TD on UM's first offensive play to go up 14-0 in like 2 minutes. UM hasn't had many tense moments at home or on the road. Even Wisconsin -- it was 7-7, but Wisconsin had like 13 or 14 drive 4 plays or less. So they never really threatened or even made it to midfield. This is why UM has had like 18 different players with on offense with a TD run or TD catch. We are usually emptying the bench in the 2nd half.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who our road games have been against. Rutgers and Michigan State. We have Iowa Saturday night and Ohio State to end the year.

UM had a ton of home games this year. But in all honesty, outside of the quarter where Colorado scored on the opening drive and then had a fumble return TD on UM's first offensive play to go up 14-0 in like 2 minutes. UM hasn't had many tense moments at home or on the road. Even Wisconsin -- it was 7-7, but Wisconsin had like 13 or 14 drive 4 plays or less. So they never really threatened or even made it to midfield. This is why UM has had like 18 different players with on offense with a TD run or TD catch. We are usually emptying the bench in the 2nd half.

That is really the point. Michigan has not played a decent opponent on the road. That is generally where you find out about a team. Mediocre teams play well at home and have issues on the road. Now that view maybe influenced by battered-Strong syndrome.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd be punishing conferences for having strength in them and rewarding the weaker conferences. Being in the SEC would then become a bad thing because of the teams you'd have to play while being in an easier conference like the Big12 would be a bonus and give teams an easier path.

That would make it dumb for conferences to do things like revenue sharing because the bigger teams would be better off keeping the bulk of the money for themselves and not helping the lower teams be better.
Okay, stick with 4 then. I realized I don't care one way or another more than I want to put a bunch of thought into it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is really the point. Michigan has not played a decent opponent on the road. That is generally where you find out about a team. Mediocre teams play well at home and have issues on the road. Now that view maybe influenced by battered-Strong syndrome.

I can understand that thought process. But I don't think it will mean much with UM. They are a team full of upperclassmen. It isn't going to be new to play on the road. I think we lose like 16 or 17 starters next year.

With Harbaugh -- he has seemed to have these kids laser focused (or brainwashed) and the only thing that matters is the next game. They won't even respond about upcoming games, only the next game up and then a response of 6-0 means nothing if you are 6-1 next week, 7-0, 8-0, 9-0, etc means nothing if you lose the next game.

I know many fans don't like Harbaugh and I can see why. The guy is a heck of a coach though and it is amazing how precise and disciplined he has this team playing.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what 4down20 is trying to say is to get rid of the automatic qualifier in being a part of the 8 team scenario by just winning your conference. This can indeed weaken the playoff pool in which a conference champion can get in with pulling one upset, but having multiple losses during the year (FSU over VT in 2005). It is not unheard of to have a conference winner, along with the runner up in that conference, not even be ranked in the top 10 (multiple times in the ACC during the last decade).

While I also see a point that having conference winners get in, ala March Madness, to give every conference team a shot and supposedly alleviate some conference bias, the reality is that it would forego some stronger teams over a weaker AQ in most years.

If your conference champ isn't in the top 8 spots, then they wouldn't really deserve that spot and the regular season does indeed become meaningless. Make it the top 8 period and then that could be a start. Conference championships will hold some weight in the committee's view, but would a 3-4 loss champion deserve to get in over a team like Louisville that narrowly lost on the road to a team within their division that is currently in the top 2-3?

Expanding the playoffs and making it the top whatever number of teams still makes it meaningful for every game to count. There may be some years in which 3 teams from the same conference would make an 8 team playoff, but I imagine that many of us would agree that there have been cases in the past where that certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility and would reward playing in a tough conference.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida falling out is a plus, at least they got that right

But Texas A&M in 8th is a complete joke and ruins the entire poll

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited for Penn State, because this is something no one would have predicted at the beginning of the season. But, the ranking doesn't mean much at this point, nor do the haters. What matters is winning out and getting a chance to prove ourselves in a decent bowl game.

I also think PSU's loss to Pitt is the embarrassing loss, not the loss to Michigan.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah lost and they were not competitive games and both could be overrated....Penn St has the better bad loss and the better top win---the best win in the country. Both have similar resumes and both have a case to not be in the top 10 but who else is deserving behind them...Oklahoma, Colorado, Oklahoma St, Va Tech...none of those teams are top 10 worthy or could make the case they are better except Oklahoma.

Not that I really care, but Penn State's loss was by more than twice as much as A&M's, and to a lower ranked team. How does that add up to being a 'better bad loss'?

Nevermind. I guess you mean the Mississippi State loss.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
If we give gay people equal rights then everyone will want them.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I really care, but Penn State's loss was by more than twice as much as A&M's, and to a lower ranked team. How does that add up to being a 'better bad loss'?

Nevermind. I guess you mean the Mississippi State loss.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
If we give gay people equal rights then everyone will want them.

Yeah, the Mississippi St loss is worse than the Pitt loss. I have watched Miss St play almost every game and they did play the best game they have all year but they still aren't a good team.