• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Pre-season Sox activities

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just remember - money to an owner in MLB - means something completely different in value than we are used to computing. Uncle Jerry's ownership stake in the White Sox has grown 2,500% since his purchase in 1981. MLB teams also get special tax breaks, gets to write off labor costs like inventory - and have special liability and competition protections from congress.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The White Sox have only one OF who bats RH on the 40 man roster - all the rest - right now - bat LH.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Mendick will be in camp. If he plays like he did a few years ago - before his injury run - he would clearly be better than Lopez for 2nd base - offensively and defensively.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the rumor mills after the Santos trade - was the suggestion that Santos was the guy who fell asleep in the bullpen last season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the guy that will replace Andrew Vaughn - if Vaughn doesn't kick it into gear this year. I love this guy.
Nice size, kid looks strong as an ox. If he has a monster Spring, I could see the Sox bringing him north as the primary DH, at least when they're facing lefties. And naturally he could spell Vaughn as needed. Sounds like he'll open at AAA, but Lawdy knows we can use as much offense as humanly possible with this limp-wristed roster, so it wouldn't be a shocker by any stretch if he gets called up at some point this season..

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Sox fleece the Mariners????

I know my initial take when I heard about the trade was we just sent our best reliever to another team for the dreaded pack of "potential" who knows. I'll still continue with the attitude that if Santos doesn't need to be sidelined for any lengthy period of time, then the M's made out in this trade and likely made out big time. But if his ills are the signs of worse things to come, ie, shutting him down long term due to surgery, then yeah Getz will have indeed fleeced the Mariners.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encouraging, if guarded start to the year for Garrett Crochet, who faced 7 batters, giving up two hits, no walks, struck out two, with no runs surrendered. A runner did reach 3rd with only one out, but he got out of it unharmed. Perhaps the best news was his FB had clocked up to 99, and it's unlikely he was going all out, so this is a good sign as well. Long, long way to go before saying the kid is truly back, but nice to see the positives.

The other somewhat good news is even tho it's only been 5 games (and we're 1-4), Jimenez seems to be smacking the ball around pretty well. He's batting .625 with 4 ribs to date.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encouraging, if guarded start to the year for Garrett Crochet, who faced 7 batters, giving up two hits, no walks, struck out two, with no runs surrendered. A runner did reach 3rd with only one out, but he got out of it unharmed. Perhaps the best news was his FB had clocked up to 99, and it's unlikely he was going all out, so this is a good sign as well. Long, long way to go before saying the kid is truly back, but nice to see the positives.

The other somewhat good news is even tho it's only been 5 games (and we're 1-4), Jimenez seems to be smacking the ball around pretty well. He's batting .625 with 4 ribs to date.
I agree good Crochet news - just seems like quite a hill to climb - to take a guy who have thrown about 20 pitches in the bigs during the last two years into a starter. He's a piece of the puzzle that fits somewhere on this Sox team.

I'm not too concerned about the 1-4 record as the Sox with 70 guys in camp have been pumping pitchers into games at a generous rate.

A couple of funny things - Maldonado brought in to teach the new players how to play - doesn't run out a bounce back to the pitcher until the pitcher's 2nd bobble and DeJon the SS who is supposed to make the Sox a great Defensive team - holds the ball and argues with the 2nd base ump while another runner scored. That's my White Sox.

Another unexpected thing - as his manager buries his chances to start in RF Oscar Colas - it is Oscar Colas who is making defensive gems in the field and hitting the baseball.

I think the Sox are getting the competition they want on this team - and overall have improved the defense. Still waiting to see how they can set up a rotation.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That -18 run differential after 6 games...Oh baby the suckitude will be grandiose.

Good teams will have a magic number for the playoffs.

We will have a "Countdown until Pedro Grifol is fired."

#middleofthedynastythings

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That -18 run differential after 6 games...Oh baby the suckitude will be grandiose.

Good teams will have a magic number for the playoffs.

We will have a "Countdown until Pedro Grifol is fired."

#middleofthedynastythings
On the one hand, hey it's Spring Training, so stats really don't matter. But then again, based on our projected roster this could very well be a sign of things to come. Batten down the hatches boys, we're in for a bumpy ride in '24!!!

My magic number is when we hit the 100 loss mark! :nutswing:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't mind Danny Mendick making this White Sox team - he was a decent ball player prior to his injury.

In the weirdest thing I every posted - I had a dream 3 or more years ago - that when I woke up all I remembered was the last fragment of the dream - where I was walking away from Danny Mendick's home - having been there for a party and spent the night but as I walked away I realized I didn't put my shoes on - and I had to go back to get them. That's when I woke up. So fellow Sox fans - there you have it - my association with Danny Mendick.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't mind Danny Mendick making this White Sox team - he was a decent ball player prior to his injury.

In the weirdest thing I every posted - I had a dream 3 or more years ago - that when I woke up all I remembered was the last fragment of the dream - where I was walking away from Danny Mendick's home - having been there for a party and spent the night but as I walked away I realized I didn't put my shoes on - and I had to go back to get them. That's when I woke up. So fellow Sox fans - there you have it - my association with Danny Mendick.

I'm having this weird deja vu that I've read this post before...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3