• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Pre-season Sox activities

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will this be Eloy's buhbye offseason?

I like that Getz continues to state no player on this roster is untouchable. However, I would also hope the only way Robert gets traded is if Getz is offered a king's ransom, as in a trade offer he'd be a fool to refuse.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remain more pessimistic, being Getz ran our scouting group, which has produced very little, at least domestically. Plus I was hoping Reinsdorf would look outside the 'family' to find his new key people. But I do like that Getz appears at least to be trying to shake things up a bit, and his earlier comments about adding players who bring better defense to the table will always hook me. I really have grown dog tired of our team's wretched defense year after year.
Getz ran the player development for the Sox - not the scouting department. What we don't know - because the Sox are very secretive - is how often Williams or Hohn told Getz what they wanted done. For instance, I doubt it was Getz who lobbied for Colas to start in RF.

Iddy's right Reinsdorf - is an abysmal owner - who financially would rather have a contender than a champion because it costs less. He likes to invest enough money to buy a pair of dice to roll for the big money - rather than buy what's needed. Getz comes under suspicion because he takes his orders from the owner and has to work inside Uncle Jerry's budget. We are White Sox fans - that's deal - we can like it or lump it.

Given the penurious parameters the Sox work under - Josh Barfield and Brian Bannister were great hires. Barfield put the Diamondback's position players together for their WS run - on the cheap - and Bannister has engineered cheap pitching to great success. The last three Sox drafts have shown really good prospects for success - and they will ripen into the new player acquisition. I decided I like the plan. I am, however, an optimist as many here know (I picked a 93-win season that turned out to be a 61-win season recently).

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer has some of the best spin rates in the majors - he gave up hits that were not hit hard and gave up walks when he shouldn't have.

This is one of those “Not about the destination, but the journey” posts….Problem with those is of the definition is “off a cliff” well then nobody gives a sh*t about the journey.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those “Not about the destination, but the journey” posts….Problem with those is of the definition is “off a cliff” well then nobody gives a sh*t about the journey.
Well - I'm not defending Bummer but relating the story of what Atlanta is telling itself.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - I'm not defending Bummer but relating the story of what Atlanta is telling itself.
Braves just signed reylo to a 3 yr 30 million dollar contract too. It’s almost like their front office knows how inept the Sox player development is that they know how to fix them

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves just signed reylo to a 3 yr 30 million dollar contract too. It’s almost like their front office knows how inept the Sox player development is that they know how to fix them
Or, they are stupider than recent history would suggest.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, they are stupider than recent history would suggest.
The braves have arguably the best front office In baseball

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The braves have arguably the best front office In baseball

I would have to agree with your assessment, yet it doesn't explain them spending 3 years and $30 million on Rey Lopez.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://x.com/feinsand/status/1727088388686467495?s=46&t=bOTTfHy34yhai7omo4YUxQSox middle infield of dejong and Nicky Lopez is something. You know what’s better than having 1 Royce Clayton? Having 2 of them
LOL - I hope to hell - this isn't the finished product - because the only benefit of this infield would be more putouts on defense and more outs at bat - making for faster finishing ball games. ;)

It is a step toward becoming a better Defense - up the middle. I would think a permanent guy for 2nd base is still yet to arrive in a trade for Cease or Jimenez.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side the Sox are acquiring local connected players - who figure to have relatives and friends who will buy tickets to see the Sox at Guaranteed Rate field. Trading millions in salary for a few thousand in ticket sales return.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - I hope to hell - this isn't the finished product - because the only benefit of this infield would be more putouts on defense and more outs at bat - making for faster finishing ball games. ;)

It is a step toward becoming a better Defense - up the middle. I would think a permanent guy for 2nd base is still yet to arrive in a trade for Cease or Jimenez.
sox didn't suck because of their defense. their fldg % was .007 points away from best in the majors! they sucked because they couldn't hit, couldn't hit timely (drive in runs) and couldn't stay on the field. i've said forever now that fielding is the most over-rated aspect of the game!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sox didn't suck because of their defense. their fldg % was .007 points away from best in the majors! they sucked because they couldn't hit, couldn't hit timely (drive in runs) and couldn't stay on the field. i've said forever now that fielding is the most over-rated aspect of the game!
I disagree with you some here Iddy. It's not just the ball they get to and fumble or throw erratically - it is they ball they don't get to but should, each physical and mental error gives the opposing team more than 3 outs in an inning. Over a period of time - the pitchers lose faith in letting the batter hit their way out and try to strike out all the batters which leads to more walks and more pitches thrown. Improving the defense - should improve the pitching.

Of course, a good defender who can hit - is the guy you want. I don't think a double play combo of DeJohn and Lopez will help the Sox win many games - with their batting skills on the lower end of the desired skill spectrum.

However, DeJohn being a placeholder for Colson Montgomery's arrival - maybe late 2024 is understandable - and Lopez being as infielder utility man or late inning defense replacement - also makes sense.

I hope Getz gets prospects that will provide a permanent opportunity for someone at 2nd, RF and Catcher.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've read too much research on the subject of fielding and maintain it's of much less value then either hitting or pitching (hitting being the most important). everyone loves a good fielder but give me a .290 hitting second baseman who is an average fielder (or even below average) vs a gold glover that hit's .240 any day. i don't buy the pitcher losing faith over time because of some errors behind him. if he does he's a weak pitcher. granted errors can sometimes stick out like a sore thumb but thruout a season the extra runs given up as a direct result aren't as much as you may think. more often that not an error does not lead to a run scoring!

here's just a few of many articles on the subject:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've read too much research on the subject of fielding and maintain it's of much less value then either hitting or pitching (hitting being the most important). everyone loves a good fielder but give me a .290 hitting second baseman who is an average fielder (or even below average) vs a gold glover that hit's .240 any day. i don't buy the pitcher losing faith over time because of some errors behind him. if he does he's a weak pitcher. granted errors can sometimes stick out like a sore thumb but thruout a season the extra runs given up as a direct result aren't as much as you may think. more often that not an error does not lead to a run scoring!

here's just a few of many articles on the subject:

Good stuff Iddy -

Still though - slow reactions and bad routes to fly balls - throwing to the wrong base - and misjudging ground balls you didn't happen to touch - not understanding a double play opportunity - are all unquantifiable parts of good defense. I'd say if crap like that affects me as a fan - surely it affects a pitcher's attitude and performance.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to revisit something Getz was quoted as saying that didn't make sense to me. In referring to Yoan Moncada Getz said he might have to play 2nd or the outfield to accommodate the team's needs. In the context of Getz wanting a better defensive effort - this comment made no sense to move Moncada from a position that he fields well to positions he doesn't know or had past failures. Thinking about Getz's comment in light of the trade completed and the trades in progress this moving Moncada to a new position might have been a reference to something else Getz knows:

1) Maybe the Sox expect a top 3rd base prospect in the Cease or Jimenez trades. If that's the case and Moncada will not be resigned after 24 - it makes sense that the potentially new 3rd baseman gets a head start at 3rd - while Moncada plays out his contract.
2) It could be that the Sox might get a top SS prospect and would then move Colson Montgomery to 3rd - where many expect him to end up at since he will not be a top defensive SS.
3) It may be that the Sox are thinking Bryan Ramos will be ready to take up 3rd base in 24 some time and will need to move Moncada to give Ramos some experience in 24 (or the Sox may think Ramos needs to learn how to be an outfielder).

In either case - it seems to me that Moncada would be a better trade bait at the 024-trade deadline when only $12 million is left on his contract. A switch hitter than can play 3rd base well - might tempt a contender to take him on with full salary for a pennant run.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the Sox want to line up a bunch of starting pitchers - like collecting scratch off lottery tickects - hoping they can hit on a couple. I have concern that there will be too many to even evaluate at one time.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love it when the players give back to the community. But I'd rather read a story about how he working to cut down on his strikeout rate which has increased every year he has played.