• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller is really the only one I have much hope for, although I don't see any reason to rush him up as he hasn't pitched above AA. We've already got 6 starting pitchers + Matt Brash who I think has SP potential.

I do completely agree that it would be huge if Evan White and Jarred Kelenic are able to be even average hitters at the plate. It really would be a drastic improvement as White has a career .167/.235/.312 triple slash line in 84 games and Kelenic has only been slightly better at .168/.251/.338 in 147 games. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not very optimistic.

If White is even semi-competent at the plate that would be fantastic as we could keep France at DH. First base is probably the least important position defensively, but White has the ability to be the best defensive first baseman in baseball. When White was out there, he honestly looked like he had the range of a center fielder at first. It would be phenomenal if he's able to produce at the plate.
If both Kelenic and White both produce to their “projection” then the Mariners will be legit WS contenders. From everything I have read or seen is Evan White developed a huge hole in his swing because of the analytics guys who care more about launch angle than what made White a great collegiate hitter. So the Mariners either need to keep that dumb crap up and hope he just becomes Geno or let him go back to what made him become a 1st round draft pick. While my hope is they find a way to make Teoscar the DH, if White can earn his way back and make Ty the DH then that is just as good.

Only in Mariners world can you get a ROTY (Lewis) and a gold glove winner not be apart of your future within 3 years during a rebuild.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mentioned that because I was just posting this-

I won’t be down there this year but from the videos his new stance looks more like Bret Boone when he came back, not quite as open. So in theory he should be able to see the ball longer but who knows.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't a dig at you but a comment on all these players that say that. Or the old, "I added 10 lbs of muscles this offseason".
I actually feel incredibly stupid for not noticing that. You're completely right.

Never heard a player in any sport say that they need to do some extra conditioning or drop some bad weight.

I went to the doctor and weighed like 10lbs heavier than the last time I visited, yet my clothes all fit the same. Convinced myself it's muscle gain in my legs from all the walking I've been doing, lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better shape?

As president of the Ty France fan club I will selectively ignore this post.

In all seriousness though, I've always had issue with position players who don't look like they play a sport for a living. I get it, you don't have to look like D.K. Metcalf to be successful at the plate but if you shed some of that bad weight it's going to help you stay healthier, move faster, put less pressure on your joints and prolong your career.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If both Kelenic and White both produce to their “projection” then the Mariners will be legit WS contenders. From everything I have read or seen is Evan White developed a huge hole in his swing because of the analytics guys who care more about launch angle than what made White a great collegiate hitter. So the Mariners either need to keep that dumb crap up and hope he just becomes Geno or let him go back to what made him become a 1st round draft pick. While my hope is they find a way to make Teoscar the DH, if White can earn his way back and make Ty the DH then that is just as good.

Only in Mariners world can you get a ROTY (Lewis) and a gold glove winner not be apart of your future within 3 years during a rebuild.
Stupid question, but by Kelenic and White's "projection" are you talking what they were expected to be in the major leagues or what the analytics sources are currently projecting? Because both of those guys looked like future All Stars prior to coming to the majors.

ZIPS projects Kelenic to hit .223/.290/.419 with 22 HRs in 134 games. Their projection of White is .216/.276/.394 with 10 HRs in 59 games.

If either of them comes even remotely close to what they did in the minors, I'd sell everything I own and place a bet on the Mariners winning the World Series.

With Teoscar, who would you suggest replace him in RF if he moved to DH? It's looking like it'll be Julio in center with a platoon of Kelenic and Pollock platooning at LF.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won’t be down there this year but from the videos his new stance looks more like Bret Boone when he came back, not quite as open. So in theory he should be able to see the ball longer but who knows.
I hope you're right that it somehow helps. Really if you want to look at what the problem is, here are his number in 2 strike counts in 2022:

Count 0-2: 22 ABs, 0 walks, 0 hits, 15 strikeouts. .000/.000/.000
Count 1-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 2 hits, 20 strikeouts. .069/.069/.103
Count 2-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 5 hits, 17 strikeouts. .172/.172/.345
Count 3-2: 14 ABs, 5 walks, 0 hits, 9 strikeouts. .000/.263/.000

Someone might need to double check my math on this, but that's a 65% strikeout rate when he has two strikes against him. That's very, very, very bad.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As president of the Ty France fan club I will selectively ignore this post.

In all seriousness though, I've always had issue with position players who don't look like they play a sport for a living. I get it, you don't have to look like D.K. Metcalf to be successful at the plate but if you shed some of that bad weight it's going to help you stay healthier, move faster, put less pressure on your joints and prolong your career.

I agree

When you are as young as France and play ball professionally you need to be HWP ( height weight proportional )
He is pretty soft around the midsection and appears he could drop 15-20lbs, that extra chubb does not help him in anyway be a better hitter or fielder.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid question, but by Kelenic and White's "projection" are you talking what they were expected to be in the major leagues or what the analytics sources are currently projecting? Because both of those guys looked like future All Stars prior to coming to the majors.

ZIPS projects Kelenic to hit .223/.290/.419 with 22 HRs in 134 games. Their projection of White is .216/.276/.394 with 10 HRs in 59 games.

If either of them comes even remotely close to what they did in the minors, I'd sell everything I own and place a bet on the Mariners winning the World Series.

With Teoscar, who would you suggest replace him in RF if he moved to DH? It's looking like it'll be Julio in center with a platoon of Kelenic and Pollock platooning at LF.

I do not see Kelenic playing that many games.

And there is always the chance he Jedi Mind f^cks his way back to Tacoma again all spring and summer. I hope not for the clubs sake.

Are they predicting Evan White to re-injure himself or something? 59 games??

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is completely true about getting the analytic guys away from the players. When the Phillies fired Giardi the analytics took a back seat and Rob Thomson reinstated baseball without analytics as the driving force. No one thought the Phillies would make the WS but they did.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually feel incredibly stupid for not noticing that. You're completely right.

Never heard a player in any sport say that they need to do some extra conditioning or drop some bad weight.

I went to the doctor and weighed like 10lbs heavier than the last time I visited, yet my clothes all fit the same. Convinced myself it's muscle gain in my legs from all the walking I've been doing, lol.
No nothing to feel stupid about. I was just laughing about all the players that say that. You were right in your comment. My mind just drifted when I read that.

Ya that would be hilarious if a player did say something like that. Vogelbach comes to mind...lol.

How funny you said that because I went up about 20 lbs and still wear the same clothes without noticing a change. I never thought to credit my leg gain...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean with the shift ban going into effect this year, shouldn't the league batting average go up at least .10? So 2.10 - 2.25 doesn't mean what it did last year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although they can still overload a side by bringing an outfielder in. So maybe not a full .10

I'm not a fan of the pitch clock. It's going to suck on very hot / humid days and lead to more premature pen use.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although they can still overload a side by bringing an outfielder in. So maybe not a full .10
You mean to the grass? That will be strange to see.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant projections like what every scout and ranking had them at, along with their minor league production. I’m not remotely expecting that but if they do then I agree that the Mariners would become at a minimum in the conversation with the Astros. But I mean every team can say that and it goes back to @NWinAZ convo about it sucks that as a fan that the front office has to have A, B and C to happen to win a title rather than A, B and C has to happen to not make the playoffs.

My wanting Teoscar moving to DH is based solely on wanting them to upgrade RF or LF, along with from everything I have read or seen is he is too much of a liability in the OF to justify the numbers that are being talked about for an extension. My justification is the Mariners don’t have a RF, 2B or DH for next year, if White can produce and move France then that is a massive gain.