• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NE Patriots Draft

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone happy with day 1?

Got arguably the best CB at 17. A position of need and allows NE to play man press coverage.

Picked up an additional pick.

BB didn't act like BB for once. We've all heard on Gonzalez. He doesn't come with multiple knee injuries, starting the year off on the DL. Pretty sure those picks will come later.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 2, pick 46. Pick 14. What do we do?
Move up?
Stay put?
Trade back?

ESPNs top 15 Best Available.
QB Will Levis
TE Michael Mayer
CB Joey Porter Jr.
S Brian Branch
TE Luke Musgrave
QB Hendon Hooker
OG Steve Avilla
DT Keeanu Benton
WR Jonathan Mingo
TE Darnell Washington
C Joe Tippman
CB Tyrique Stevenson
OG O'Cyruss Torrence
TE Sam Laporta
CB Julius Brents

IMO we won't go QB or CB here. Probably won't take a center. So I think we go TE. Will one of these TEs be there at 46? I think so. So I say we stay put and take whichever TE is there. I'd be ok with Mingo but think TE or even one of the OGs are a better value at this pick.

Thoughts?

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade up for either Mayer… Washington or Branch the Safety. Getting Branch would be fantastic and set our defensive backfield up. Dugger might be gone after next year(I think??). I hope we resign him. And with McCourty gone. Branch is my pick.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way anyone cannot like this pick. The Pats picked up another 4th which I am sure BB will use to move up or get more capital for next year.

CB was a position of need and the Pats got what most considered the best in the draft. This came down to best player at position of need. Would an OT have been nice? Yes of course! But there are still OTs there and we would have been foolish to pass on this talent.

A+

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND the trade with Pittsburgh accom0plished two things.

1. Steelers took Broderick Jones away from the Jets.
2, Allowed the Patriots tomove down three picks and still get the Best overll CB in the draft.
Gonzalea gives them bith size and speed which they lacked in the secondary. Look for Johnathan Jones to move to FS.

Couple of questions. Why did Will Levis slide out of the first round? Why would the patriots knowingly pass on Broderick Johnson?

Today will be really interesting.

#46 - Matthew Bergeron OT SYR or Cody Mauch N Dak. St????

#76 = A.T. Perry WR WF??

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way anyone cannot like this pick. The Pats picked up another 4th which I am sure BB will use to move up or get more capital for next year.

CB was a position of need and the Pats got what most considered the best in the draft. This came down to best player at position of need. Would an OT have been nice? Yes of course! But there are still OTs there and we would have been foolish to pass on this talent.

A+
I had to google it but the last Duck Bill drafted was Chung.

That worked out pretty well.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND the trade with Pittsburgh accom0plished two things.

1. Steelers took Broderick Jones away from the Jets.
2, Allowed the Patriots tomove down three picks and still get the Best overll CB in the draft.
Gonzalea gives them bith size and speed which they lacked in the secondary. Look for Johnathan Jones to move to FS.

Couple of questions. Why did Will Levis slide out of the first round? Why would the patriots knowingly pass on Broderick Johnson?

Today will be really interesting.

#46 - Matthew Bergeron OT SYR or Cody Mauch N Dak. St????

#76 = A.T. Perry WR WF??
IMHO as it relates to Levis.

The NFL is moving toward mobile QBs that can throw vs Throwing QBs that are not so mobile. It tooks years to get here b/c coaches at the lower levels were not fully developing black QBs. Their attitude was, hey the kid can run let him run if no one is open. The skills and mechanics of the position were not taught, and now they are. So a lot of athletic QBs now have at least the basic mechanics in place and the teams can develope the rest of the tools.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone happy with day 1?

Got arguably the best CB at 17. A position of need and allows NE to play man press coverage.

Picked up an additional pick.

BB didn't act like BB for once. We've all heard on Gonzalez. He doesn't come with multiple knee injuries, starting the year off on the DL. Pretty sure those picks will come later.

I like that pick... Just wondering why they "had" to give up 14 for him? I know they got another pick in return so does this mean a trade is coming?

it is also nice to see a pick get a "grade" higher than an 80 (I believe he was given a 92)

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that pick... Just wondering why they "had" to give up 14 for him? I know they got another pick in return so does this mean a trade is coming?

it is also nice to see a pick get a "grade" higher than an 80 (I believe he was given a 92)
They did not HAVE to trade 14 to get him, they traded 14 for 17 because it screwed with the Jets who wanted Broderick Jones.

So in a sense, it's a twofer. Less protection for Rodgers and making it harder for him to find an open target.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did not HAVE to trade 14 to get him, they traded 14 for 17 because it screwed with the Jets who wanted Broderick Jones.

So in a sense, it's a twofer. Less protection for Rodgers and making it harder for him to find an open target.

Hadn't heard that one

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder about trading back like this IF this was the player they really wanted. Does Bill ask the Steelers who they're going to pick and then ask picks 15 and 16 who they're going to pick? Or is it just a gamble? Or was there another player they valued just as highly that they would've taken as well?

Same with the Mac Jones pick a few years ago when they didn't move up to get him. Did Bill KNOW he'd be there at 15, did he gamble, or did he have another pick in mind as well?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to move up for another 2nd or a higher 2nd.
Will be tough to do with no 3rd's. and many very good players still available in the 2nd.....

Broderick Jones is likely a guard and a project. He will become a very good player for Green Bay who is now in rebuilding mode with time to develop.
Bill does not have the luxery of taking developmental player early in this draft.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder about trading back like this IF this was the player they really wanted. Does Bill ask the Steelers who they're going to pick and then ask picks 15 and 16 who they're going to pick? Or is it just a gamble? Or was there another player they valued just as highly that they would've taken as well?

Same with the Mac Jones pick a few years ago when they didn't move up to get him. Did Bill KNOW he'd be there at 15, did he gamble, or did he have another pick in mind as well?

I don't think BB "knew" and just took a shot and got lucky but we will never know but damnit.. I want to know!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be tough to do with no 3rd's. and many very good players still available in the 2nd.....

Broderick Jones is likely a guard and a project. He will become a very good player for Green Bay who is now in rebuilding mode with time to develop.
Bill does not have the luxery of taking developmental player early in this draft.
Correction: we have #76 in the 3rd.....

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#76 in the 3rd.
But yes, I agree.
Move up in the 2nd and move into the 2nd with the 3rd and a 4th or two.