• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2023 NBA Finals: Heat vs. Nuggets

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had the series of his career and defining moment of his career. I know he will cherish this moment but people say the future is bright for this team and it definitely is but no guarantee he even gets to a Finals again.
Not throwing shade because you can only beat the teams put in front of you. At the same time, I don’t think you could ever project a path like this again:
8 seed
4 seed
7 seed
8 seed
Not saying Denver can’t do it again. They absolutely can. But the path will never be easier than the one that fortune gave them this year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not throwing shade because you can only beat the teams put in front of you. At the same time, I don’t think you could ever project a path like this again:
8 seed
4 seed
7 seed
8 seed
Not saying Denver can’t do it again. They absolutely can. But the path will never be easier than the one that fortune gave them this year.

8 and 4 is reasonable. Would it have been tougher to face the Kings than the Lakers? Grizz? Warriors maybe. Given injuries and the big glut of teams packed so tightly in the ladder, not sure the seeds really reflect the disparity they might in other years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 and 4 is reasonable. Would it have been tougher to face the Kings than the Lakers? Grizz? Warriors maybe. Given injuries and the big glut of teams packed so tightly in the ladder, not sure the seeds really reflect the disparity they might in other years.
Just more evidence of my point. The 2 and 3 seed in the West were arguably less than what we saw in the 5-7 seeds. It was just a very weird year in the West.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 seed
4 seed
7 seed
8 seed

This was just an unusual year.

The seeds in the West didnt matter this year in the least. This year the difference between the #3 seed and the #10 seed in the West was 6 wins. The Wolves, Lakers & Suns were a tougher road than a 8, 4, 7 in any other season. In most other seasons the difference between #3 and #10 is going to be 10-15 wins.

And Miami was a fluke 8 seed too. They had the most wins in the East just last year with basically the exact same roster. Their run was mildly surprising but certainly not a complete shock.

The Nuggets didnt have to top a powerhouse to get the title that is for sure. But that is really mostly due to a new level of parity in the league. Been like that for a good 5 years now too. Basically when Durant and Thompson both got hurt in what I think was back to back games IIRC started a new era of NBA basketball that continues to this day which is mostly defined by for lack of a better word parity (it's such a dirty word in sports right now that I dont want to use it).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Jokic now has a finals win on his resume. He's been so polarizing from getting maybe too much credit, to then being called a stat padder. It's clear he's one of the greatest centers of all time and has justified all of his MVP's to date.

I just wonder how many years he wants to do this. Seems to me he would be good with playing another 7-8 years, or he could retire tomorrow.

Just a total enigma in the best way.
How do you think embiid feel?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 seed
4 seed
7 seed
8 seed
Yeah....

Relatively easy path to a title. But, they did what they had to. They won.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic & Murray became the first teammates to average 25/5/5 for a single post season.

Most points per game by a title winning duo.

1. Shaq & Kobe- 59.8 (2001)

2. Steph & KD- 56.6 (2017)

3. Jokic & Murray- 56.1

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just more evidence of my point. The 2 and 3 seed in the West were arguably less than what we saw in the 5-7 seeds. It was just a very weird year in the West.

But the one team that never really wavered won, as it really should be. The brief points when the Kings and Pelicans were at the top were never expected to hold up.

Definitely a year for big injuries.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was just an unusual year.

The seeds in the West didnt matter this year in the least. This year the difference between the #3 seed and the #10 seed in the West was 6 wins. The Wolves, Lakers & Suns were a tougher road than a 8, 4, 7 in any other season. In most other seasons the difference between #3 and #10 is going to be 10-15 wins.

And Miami was a fluke 8 seed too. They had the most wins in the East just last year with basically the exact same roster. Their run was mildly surprising but certainly not a complete shock.

The Nuggets didnt have to top a powerhouse to get the title that is for sure. But that is really mostly due to a new level of parity in the league. Been like that for a good 5 years now too. Basically when Durant and Thompson both got hurt in what I think was back to back games IIRC started a new era of NBA basketball that continues to this day which is mostly defined by for lack of a better word parity (it's such a dirty word in sports right now that I dont want to use it).
Fair points. I would just add that the condition you cited of the 3-10 seeds being relatively equal wasn’t a product of strength in the middle or the back end. It was because of weakness at the top. Kings aren’t built for playoff half court basketball and the Ja Morant drama coupled with the Steven Adams injury sunk them.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the culture they’ve created though. No one cares about us. No one respects us. It was that fuel that every great group needs to have to drive them through the dark days and to stay focused on the job at hand. Much easier to do in a small market that really doesn’t have a huge media presence or even a lot of fan support until it gets serious. For the last 4-5 years, half of the Denver market can’t even get access to the local broadcast of games because of a long running cable dispute. In a real sports city, the people would riot over that condition. Honestly, I bet there was more local interest in Philly during the dark days of the Process with 10 and 15 win seasons than what the Nuggets have gotten locally over the last 3 years. But it works for them and they deserve credit for tapping into a culture that created a championship drive.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you think embiid feel?
Probably a bit down for not going further this year. Could have easily been the 76ers in the finals after the Bucks went down.

But he's probably wiping his tears with hundred dollar bills. He'll wake up this morning in his multi-million dollar mansion and polish off his MVP trophy. Don't feel that bad for the guy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

To both the Heat and Nuggets this season.

A very big congratulations to the Nuggets. Genuinely happy for them. @HurricaneDij39 enjoy this moment. Although I have a feeling if Denver keeps this up this won't be the last.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A very big congratulations to the Nuggets. Genuinely happy for them.-> @HurricaneDij39 enjoy this moment.<- Although I have a feeling if Denver keeps this up this won't be the last.

If the Finals this season would have been the Nuggets & Pacers he would have been rooting for Indiana. He's not a real Nuggets fan.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A very big congratulations to the Nuggets. Genuinely happy for them. @HurricaneDij39 enjoy this moment. Although I have a feeling if Denver keeps this up this won't be the last.
Thanks.

Honestly the term "dynasty" is used too loosely. As the LeBron and Durants are soon out the door superteams will become a thing of the past.

In the forthcoming generation it's going to be tougher than ever to repeat as champs. Just one title is a massive success.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a bit down for not going further this year. Could have easily been the 76ers in the finals after the Bucks went down.

But he's probably wiping his tears with hundred dollar bills. He'll wake up this morning in his multi-million dollar mansion and polish off his MVP trophy. Don't feel that bad for the guy.
No doubt! Embiid hasn’t lived 40 years without a championship for the Sixers. I wish he cared more about this stuff. I think he’s more devoted to other things than winning a championship. Hope I’m wrong cause it looks like his future is the Sixers future.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Honestly the term "dynasty" is used too loosely. As the LeBron and Durants are soon out the door superteams will become a thing of the past.

In the forthcoming generation it's going to be tougher than ever to repeat as champs. Just one title is a massive success.

Some of your takes are astounding.

LeBron and KD are not the reason for superteams.

There were superteams before LeBron, and will be superteams after.

People are ambitious. They like winning. Only way superteams are a thing of the past is if the CBA legislated them out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt! Embiid hasn’t lived 40 years without a championship for the Sixers. I wish he cared more about this stuff. I think he’s more devoted to other things than winning a championship. Hope I’m wrong cause it looks like his future is the Sixers future.

Yea I don't think hes built like a MJ or Lebron in that regard. He wants to win but...like Jimmy offered no excuses. Joel will throw any and everyone under the bus in a media session. It's just got a different feel to it with Joel.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I don't think hes built like a MJ or Lebron in that regard. He wants to win but...like Jimmy offered no excuses. Joel will throw any and everyone under the bus in a media session. It's just got a different feel to it with Joel.
I’m from the school of some things you can develop in athletics and some things have to come innately with make up and how a person is programmed. I don’t think you can teach a player to be “a killer”. Embiid is going to need someone to play that role on his team if he wants to win a championship. I think if he was that guy, it would have already shown.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of your takes are astounding.

LeBron and KD are not the reason for superteams.

There were superteams before LeBron, and will be superteams after.

People are ambitious. They like winning. Only way superteams are a thing of the past is if the CBA legislated them out.

Stop making sense.

He's much happier incorrectly thinking LeBron or KD started super teams. Reality isn't his thing.