• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2023 Lions official draft thread

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone wondering if trading players will be a thing during the draft now? Last years Iggles and Titans trade may or may not have started a trend.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely don’t want a QB at all unless with the last two picks to hold a clipboard. Would’ve loved your other bromance player of Teddy as backup. I just feel a CB can be found in the 2nd or pick 81. I just don’t look at CB’s either. It’s all about fat guys up front on both lines.
That we haven’t signed him, or anybody, is what scares me.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely don’t want a QB at all unless with the last two picks to hold a clipboard. Would’ve loved your other bromance player of Teddy as backup. I just feel a CB can be found in the 2nd or pick 81. I just don’t look at CB’s either. It’s all about fat guys up front on both lines.

If only two QBs go in the top five, I'd love to see the panic caused by us taking a QB at six.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me McKee at 81 would be best outcome for a qb out of this draft.

No mobility, but awesome arm talent. He just needs to learn to make effective steps in the pocket and his lack of speed won't be too much of an issue

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Mauch would be a good fit for what we want and would be available in the second round. I think if Carter has his head on right he should be the pick at 6. There just are not that many IDL that I like. Smith and Benton is all.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

George Costanza Fire GIF

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh? We have nothing in the backup position right now. As OldLion said, we're a Goff injury away from going nowhere this season. The fact that we didn't sign a competent backup makes it a lock that we're drafting one. Probably not in the first couple rounds, but not in the last couple, either.

Last edited:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only two QBs go in the top five, I'd love to see the panic caused by us taking a QB at six.

If Stroud somehow dropped to 6, and we couldn't trade down, I'd have no problem taking him.

If Holmes was dumb enough to take either Richardson or Levis at 6, I'd be furious. They aren't first round worthy QB's.

Young is going #1, so there's nothing to discuss there. But I'd love to have him here.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stroud somehow dropped to 6, and we couldn't trade down, I'd have no problem taking him.

If Holmes was dumb enough to take either Richardson or Levis at 6, I'd be furious. They aren't first round worthy QB's.

Young is going #1, so there's nothing to discuss there. But I'd love to have him here.
Here are my top 5 QB comparisons.

Young = better Kyler Murray
Stroud = better Cam Newton
Levis = lesser Josh Allen
Hooker = better Geno Smith
AR15 = lesser Pat Mahomes

The rest are day 3 QBs I might take Bennett. He is a lesser Doug Flutie.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The back up QB is a legitimate need; Goff is showing that with this Lions offense a good pocket passer can be successful. More interested in getting quality defense player (line or secondary) than any other position group early. There’s an argument to be made that there is depth at the CB position allowing for the team to draft quality later. I’m more inclined to the idea of taking the best player instead of compromising because they *think* someone should be available later.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they'll sign Bridgewater after the draft if they don't take a QB in round one. Probably don't want to sign one now and waste cap space if CJ Stroud (or someone else they like) falls to six. Similarly, Bridgewater probably doesn't want to sign for a team now and find himself jumped in the depth chart by a rookie.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? We have nothing in the backup position right now. As OldLion said, we're a Goff injury away from going nowhere this season. The fact that we didn't sign a competent backup makes it a lock that we're drafting one. Probably not in the first couple rounds, but not in the last couple, either.
You don’t really think a kid in round 2 or 3 is going to take us to the playoffs if Goff goes down? IMO he isn’t nor is the 5th or 6th round kid. Why I stated I would’ve love Teddy being signed. Mr Purdy was an anomaly.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my top 5 QB comparisons.

Young = better Kyler Murray
Stroud = better Cam Newton
Levis = lesser Josh Allen
Hooker = better Geno Smith
AR15 = lesser Pat Mahomes

The rest are day 3 QBs I might take Bennett. He is a lesser Doug Flutie.

None of these are good comparisons tbh.
Cam Newton rushed for 700+ yards in 3 different seasons, and went over 500 yards almost every year. That sounds way more like Richardson than Stroud. I don't know if Stroud will have 700 yards rushing in his career.
Levis game is nothing like Allen, neither is his size or athleticism.
Young is short, but other than that nothing like Kyler at all.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Mauch would be a good fit for what we want and would be available in the second round. I think if Carter has his head on right he should be the pick at 6. There just are not that many IDL that I like. Smith and Benton is all.
I’m good with Cody. He’s versatile also. I liked his film. ( some get scared of small school kids) I just feel Skoronski is the way better versatile player. I’m good with Carter at 6. I trust Holmes if he takes him. Millen or Quinn I’d be terrified.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m good with Cody. He’s versatile also. I liked his film. ( some get scared of small school kids) I just feel Skoronski is the way better versatile player. I’m good with Carter at 6. I trust Holmes if he takes him. Millen or Quinn I’d be terrified.
I actually prefer Wright. Skoronski seems a bit stiff but he is still a top 3 IMO. Broderick Jones might fall but I doubt he would last to 48 and 18 seems to early. I dont want any OL at 6. Skoronski does not last to 18. Wright either most likely but I would jump there. No way he lasts till 48.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tired season 2 GIF by Blunt Talk

We could have had Aaron Donald. And Mayhew took Eric fucking Ebron.
I understand his reasoning but did not agree with it. He wanted his new OC to have a new toy. Ebron just was not good enough to go in round 1 never mind early. If he was Megatron then sure. He was not.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand his reasoning but did not agree with it. He wanted his new OC to have a new toy. Ebron just was not good enough to go in round 1 never mind early. If he was Megatron then sure. He was not.

And where was the countdown old man?

You better start pulling your weight around here.