• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2023 Lions official draft thread

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want to pass on Carter. It’s unfamiliar to trust front office here. So if he’s there and is taken I will not argue. I’m certainly not opposed to adding a DE first either. Never seen bookends in Detroit. Certainly make what they have on the interior better when two studs on outside.
It feels strange that no matter who the Lions draft I will fully believe that the pick will end up good. I may not like it initially, but ultimately thye have earned trust.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one ended up being my strangest mock drafts to date. Traded the 6 and 81 for 39, Brian Burns, and Derrick Brown. With the Dline now complete a lot of great offense fell. Oline is now set for a long time even if Decker goes.
1681754444922.png

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want to pass on Carter. It’s unfamiliar to trust front office here. So if he’s there and is taken I will not argue. I’m certainly not opposed to adding a DE first either. Never seen bookends in Detroit. Certainly make what they have on the interior better when two studs on outside.

The one thing I never see GMs do, is if you have a high draft pick, and you don't need a QB, take a QB anyway. You can trade them for a king's ransom.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one ended up being my strangest mock drafts to date. Traded the 6 and 81 for 39, Brian Burns, and Derrick Brown. With the Dline now complete a lot of great offense fell. Oline is now set for a long time even if Decker goes.
View attachment 326325
I though Campbell would not last until 55? That is what everyone is saying at least:noidea:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though Campbell would not last until 55? That is what everyone is saying at least:noidea:
I would say that is more realistic than the Panthers giving up 2 young star dline and a second for the 6 and a 3rd

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ILB seldomly goes first round unless they are a generational talent so you never know. This is a pretty deep draft at edge and CB too. Lots of factors will determine it.
I hope he is, I just see too many teams taking him at early to mid 2nd

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Witherspoon a ton, think he could be a pro bowler. But I really love Phillips. I think he's gonna be an upper end CB although maybe not pro bowl worthy. I just wonder if the opportunity cost for Witherspoon is worth it. If he turns out elite like Sauce looked last year, then yes. But is he really going to be that much better than maybe Porter jr at 18? Or maybe like Cam Smith or Forbes or somebody in round 2. Or for that matter somebody like Phillips or DK Turner in round 3? Because you know the other prospects we could get at #6 have a lot bigger drop off in talent compared to other guys at their positions in later rounds.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Witherspoon a ton, think he could be a pro bowler. But I really love Phillips. I think he's gonna be an upper end CB although maybe not pro bowl worthy. I just wonder if the opportunity cost for Witherspoon is worth it. If he turns out elite like Sauce looked last year, then yes. But is he really going to be that much better than maybe Porter jr at 18? Or maybe like Cam Smith or Forbes or somebody in round 2. Or for that matter somebody like Phillips or DK Turner in round 3? Because you know the other prospects we could get at #6 have a lot bigger drop off in talent compared to other guys at their positions in later rounds.
The common view is Witherspoon could be Jaire Alexander. If that is what he becomes 6 is well worth it. I love Phillips, but I don't think he can move out of the slot. Would love to have him on the team though

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he is, I just see too many teams taking him at early to mid 2nd
Well we do have number 48 as well. I am fine taking him there too. Maybe Benton lasts until 55 and we just switch. All 4 of those guys could go in that area or sooner.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we do have number 48 as well. I am fine taking him there too. Maybe Benton lasts until 55 and we just switch. All 4 of those guys could go in that area or sooner.
I have been clear I would not be upset taking Campbell at 18. I am very much a minority in that. I think Levy aside, the last time we had a linebacker that could cover a TE it was Joe Schmidt.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is always the question when drafting. That is why BPA is not exactly my style. I like biggest drop off better. With Dre Bly as DB coach we could end up with Forbes as Bly would be a great mentor for his style.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is always the question when drafting. That is why BPA is not exactly my style. I like biggest drop off better. With Dre Bly as DB coach we could end up with Forbes as Bly would be a great mentor for his style.
Forbes is the absolute worst at press man in this entire draft, a scheme that Detroit runs often. If Forbes does not go to a Off-Zone scheme he will be nothing. The right team drafts him he will outplay his draft slot.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been clear I would not be upset taking Campbell at 18. I am very much a minority in that. I think Levy aside, the last time we had a linebacker that could cover a TE it was Joe Schmidt.
Dorian Williams would be better in coverage probably but I want a LB who can stop the run. Especially stopping the QB from running.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forbes is the absolute worst at press man in this entire draft, a scheme that Detroit runs often. If Forbes does not go to a Off-Zone scheme he will be nothing. The right team drafts him he will outplay his draft slot.
He is not my preferred guy at this point I was just pointing out the similarity. I dont even like zone coverage schemes. They are OK for blitzes.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not my preferred guy at this point I was just pointing out the similarity. I dont even like zone coverage schemes. They are OK for blitzes.
I think he is crazy talented, just a horrifically bad scheme fit. Might be the one player in the draft that woild have me doubting Holmes if they took him.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last comment got me thinking, is there a pick that would have me doubting Holmes? There definitely are spots and values that would have me thinking we could have done better value wise. But I decided to look at every single player that could conceivably, possibly, ever be the pick at 6.

Bryce Young. Easy pick. He'll never be there, but if he was you take him. Super star.
CJ Stroud. QB that best fits what Goff has, and that's apparently what they want. I still hate Goff's decision making so I would hope Stroud could be a better Goff.
Anthony Richardson. This one I wouldn't like. He's not ready to win as a starting QB, but you don't draft a running QB to sit. You start Justin Fields and hope he turns into Jalen Hurts. Lamar Jackson did, some others never do. But people always talk about sitting and learning, guys this young need reps more than anything. NFL teams don't have extra reps to give to backups.
Will Levis. I would be ok with this pick. He doesn't need help at everything across the board, he can learn to practice and learn to read defenses and get a couple reps here and there to work on his weaknesses.
Will Anderson. My dream pick.
Jalen Carter. Best player, at a impact position, where we have a huge roster hole. Should be a no-brainer, but we all know why its not. I've said before i wouldn't take him, because I've never met him. But if Holmes/Campbell who have met him draft him, then I'm all in.
Tyree Wilson. All the potential in the world, All Pro upside. But 4 year player who really never produced like he's worth a top 10 pick.
Lukas Van Ness. Similar production as Wilson, but as a RS soph vs true Sr, plus at a school who starts and plays older players instead of strictly playing the best. (BTW what kinda BS is that?) Potential,is great, but production matters.
Nolan Smith. Keep hearing great things about his interviews. His speed is off the charts. Probably not a fit here though.
Devon Witherspoon. Maybe the best system fit of any player in the draft. Played with Joseph, so they have inside info.
Christian Gonzalez. So smooth. Ideal size. Good tackling. Good coverage. What more do you want?
Paris Johnson. Best LT in this draft. If you can play LT you can play any O-Line spot. Real, REAL high to take a guy and play him out of position at guard. I get building on a strength, just not sure this is the way.
Peter Skoronski. Better guard, worse tackle than Paris. Otherwise same thing. Start at Guard, backup both Tackles.

I think that's 13 guys. Only 1 (Richardson) that I would really dislike. Another 1 (Nolan Smith) that I just don't see the fit. And 2 guys at O-Line that I just don't see the value of drafting, although I like both players. I know lots of people hate the idea of using a pick on a QB, but the salary cap is $220 million spread out over 50+ players and there's 10 or more QB's making $40 million per year. There are many ways to win and many ways to build a team in the league. But two seem to stand out above the rest, having a top end QB like Mahomes who is worth paying 20% of your whole budget. Or having a young guy on that rookie deal. From that standpoint it makes sense. Especially we have an extra pick this year, and don't expect to be drafting this high again unless we have to start over rebuilding again.

If I had to put together my big board of 6 players and just take the highest one on the list when we're on the clock?
1. Bryce Young
2. Will Anderson *- I'd be willing to trade up for these 2, but only for the right price, wouldn't go crazy, we don't need it.

*3. Jalen Carter - either here or not at all, depending on his in person interviews.
3. CJ Stroud
*at this point I'd be willing to trade down for a decent offer.

4. Will Levis
5. Devon Witherspoon
6. Lukas Van Ness

It's hard though because just looking at positions I'd rather end up with Van Ness and Porter Jr rather than Witherspoon and Myles Murphy. Or something along those lines. But I think Witherspoon is better than Van Ness (or Tyree Wilson) I just think the drop off is way less severe at CB this year.

Thoughts/feedback? Anyone else willing to put their top 6 out there?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last comment got me thinking, is there a pick that would have me doubting Holmes? There definitely are spots and values that would have me thinking we could have done better value wise. But I decided to look at every single player that could conceivably, possibly, ever be the pick at 6.

Bryce Young. Easy pick. He'll never be there, but if he was you take him. Super star.
CJ Stroud. QB that best fits what Goff has, and that's apparently what they want. I still hate Goff's decision making so I would hope Stroud could be a better Goff.
Anthony Richardson. This one I wouldn't like. He's not ready to win as a starting QB, but you don't draft a running QB to sit. You start Justin Fields and hope he turns into Jalen Hurts. Lamar Jackson did, some others never do. But people always talk about sitting and learning, guys this young need reps more than anything. NFL teams don't have extra reps to give to backups.
Will Levis. I would be ok with this pick. He doesn't need help at everything across the board, he can learn to practice and learn to read defenses and get a couple reps here and there to work on his weaknesses.
Jalen Carter. Best player, at a impact position, where we have a huge roster hole. Should be a no-brainer, but we all know why its not. I've said before i wouldn't take him, because I've never met him. But if Holmes/Campbell who have met him draft him, then I'm all in.
Tyree Wilson. All the potential in the world, All Pro upside. But 4 year player who really never produced like he's worth a top 10 pick.
Lukas Van Ness. Similar production as Wilson, but as a RS soph vs true Sr, plus at a school who starts and plays older players instead of strictly playing the best. (BTW what kinda BS is that?) Potential,is great, but production matters.
Nolan Smith. Keep hearing great things about his interviews. His speed is off the charts. Probably not a fit here though.
Devon Witherspoon. Maybe the best system fit of any player in the draft. Played with Joseph, so they have inside info.
Christian Gonzalez. So smooth. Ideal size. Good tackling. Good coverage. What more do you want?
Paris Johnson. Best LT in this draft. If you can play LT you can play any O-Line spot. Real, REAL high to take a guy and play him out of position at guard. I get building on a strength, just not sure this is the way.
Peter Skoronski. Better guard, worse tackle than Paris. Otherwise same thing. Start at Guard, backup both Tackles.

I think that's 13 guys. Only 1 (Richardson) that I would really dislike. Another 1 (Nolan Smith) that I just don't see the fit. And 2 guys at O-Line that I just don't see the value of drafting, although I like both players. I know lots of people hate the idea of using a pick on a QB, but the salary cap is $220 million spread out over 50+ players and there's 10 or more QB's making $40 million per year. There are many ways to win and many ways to build a team in the league. But two seem to stand out above the rest, having a top end QB like Mahomes who is worth paying 20% of your whole budget. Or having a young guy on that rookie deal. From that standpoint it makes sense. Especially we have an extra pick this year, and don't expect to be drafting this high again unless we have to start over rebuilding again.

If I had to put together my big board of 6 players and just take the highest one on the list when we're on the clock?
1. Bryce Young
2. Will Anderson *- I'd be willing to trade up for these 2, but only for the right price, wouldn't go crazy, we don't need it.

*3. Jalen Carter - either here or not at all, depending on his in person interviews.
3. CJ Stroud

4. Will Levis
5. Devon Witherspoon
6. Lukas Van Ness

It's hard though because just looking at positions I'd rather end up with Van Ness and Porter Jr rather than Witherspoon and Myles Murphy. Or something along those lines. But I think Witherspoon is better than Van Ness (or Tyree Wilson) I just think the drop off is way less severe at CB this year.

1. Will Anderson
2. Devon Witherspoon
3. Jalen Carter
Trade back
4. Bryce Young
5. Tyree Wilson
6. Anthony Richardson

Really 1-4 I would like with pick 6. Outside of that I would prefer a trade back. If we are taking a guy I would not like anyway, Richardson isnthe biggest lottery ticket, so why not.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Bryce Young

3. CJ Stroud

4. Will Levis
5. Devon Witherspoon
6. Lukas Van Ness

I like what you said about Richardson. He doesn't need to sit and wait he needs to play and get more experience. I think he'd be best going to a team where he can start from day one.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what you said about Richardson. He doesn't need to sit and wait he needs to play and get more experience. I think he'd be best going to a team where he can start from day one.
I don't agree. He needs a year where he does nothing but work on mechanics. Once he is decent at that part then he needs to play. Play him day 1 and you risk crushing all potential

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Bryce Young

3. CJ Stroud

4. Will Levis
5. Devon Witherspoon
6. Lukas Van Ness

Bijan
Carter
Witherspoon
Wilson
Anderson
Stroud
N Smith

No way I am taking a QB early on this team though so I added a 7th. Wilson will be a better pro then Anderson IMO.