• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agents

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping geno, ok. Maybe we trade down from 5 and net some future draft capital we can use to move up next year in what looks like a loaded QB class

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing most by now have seen Geno's presser where he says he wants to finish his career in Seattle. And then this morning on 710, PC said that Geno knows this is the best place for him. They still have to make the numbers work, but these statements don't come from people who no longer want to work together.
It's a solid relationship that's working. Both have an understanding of each other like RW had in his early days before he became Mr. Hollywood. I'm thinking around 27-28mil a yr for 3yrs with a 4th yr team option. Give him a good amount of guarenteed money up front and I think he would sign.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing most by now have seen Geno's presser where he says he wants to finish his career in Seattle. And then this morning on 710, PC said that Geno knows this is the best place for him. They still have to make the numbers work, but these statements don't come from people who no longer want to work together.

It was nice of him to say that. Almost every FA in every sport says something similar. Ultimately, if he isn't franchise tagged, he'll go to the team that offers the most money.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping geno, ok. Maybe we trade down from 5 and net some future draft capital we can use to move up next year in what looks like a loaded QB class
No. There's no guarantee the team we trade for will be close to the top 10. We'll have to spend way more draft capital to get that 2024 QB prospect and I for one don't want to go through another draft of having just 3 or 4 picks with holes that need to be filled.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is in Geno's best interest to stay here unless some team comes in and blows the Seahawks offer out of the water.

If Geno gets 4 years 120 million with somewhere around half guaranteed, he will stay. That's probably a little under market but being in a stable environment matters. Going to the Raiders, for example, is a disaster waiting to happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. There's no guarantee the team we trade for will be close to the top 10. We'll have to spend way more draft capital to get that 2024 QB prospect and I for one don't want to go through another draft of having just 3 or 4 picks with holes that need to be filled.

If PC/JS think highly of Stroud, Levis, or Young then I can see them making the move.

But the argument of "This is our only chance at a high pick so we need to pick a QB" is highly specious to me. So unless they are convinced that one of these guys is the future, they aren't going to burn a high pick for him. And they would almost certainly have to let Geno walk if they do which seems like a bad approach from a personally and morale perspective.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If PC/JS think highly of Stroud, Levis, or Young then I can see them making the move.

But the argument of "This is our only chance at a high pick so we need to pick a QB" is highly specious to me. So unless they are convinced that one of these guys is the future, they aren't going to burn a high pick for him. And they would almost certainly have to let Geno walk if they do which seems like a bad approach from a personally and morale perspective.
If Denver lost week 18 and us sitting at 1.3 I think the FO would take Stroud barring Chicago doesn't trade back. Now at 1.5 I don't see them drafting a QB and it's defense all the way with both first rounders.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are two guys that would be #1 this year if they came out, plus several others that will be looked at as 1st rounders.

things can change of course, but building capital for next year is a reasonable option.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Denver lost week 18 and us sitting at 1.3 I think the FO would take Stroud barring Chicago doesn't trade back. Now at 1.5 I don't see them drafting a QB and it's defense all the way with both first rounders.

If they really think that highly of Stroud, then I wouldn't be shocked to see them move up to get him. But I don't have any reason to believe that they are that high on him.

I'm skeptical of that though. I suspect that they are going to ride with Geno and try to rebuild the defense because it won't do any good to have a young stud QB if we have a bottom 5 defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind resigning the following:

1. Geno Smith - Looks like it's pretty much a given the FO and Geno want to move forward w/ one another so this will probably get done... Sign to a 2-3 year deal...
  2. Poona Ford - He didn't get a lot of sacks but he did lead the time in TFL and QB hits... Sign to a 3 year deal
  3. Ryan Neal - He's proven to be an effective, consistent safety for the Hawks... I'd offer him a 1 year deal if he'd take it... He would be a great safety valve, assuming we're going to hang onto Jamal Adams... Neal did have his best season as a pro so there may be a team out there that will give him a multi-year contract...
  4. Jonathon Abrams - I don't know - I liked what he brought to the table personally... I'd like to see if Carroll can get the best out of the young safety... I'd offer him a 2 year deal...
  5. Rashaad Penny - I know he's not popular here butI would see if we could sign him on a 1 year deal for 1 million or less...
I would be in favor of cutting, Gabe Jackson (we'd save 7 million) due to guards being much easier to replace; Shelby Harris (savings of 9 million); Q. Jefferson (savings of 4 million) and B. Mone (savings of roughly 3 million).. That would save us 22 million right there if we end up cutting those 4... Freeing salary up here would allow us to go after a guy like, DT Payne...

Do we cut Diggs? It would save 9.9 million... He didn't play up to expectations this year imo... He missed so many tackles it seemed... He took bad angles resulting in big plays given up... Outside of a few INT's, he didn't really seem to stand out... 10 million a year seems to be quite high for a guy like that...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the same thing... Carroll made it clear that JS had already started the preliminary grounds of make sure Geno says put here... Geno also said that he feels he owes the franchise for having faith in him and giving him this opportunity... He mentioned that he may not even be in the league anymore if Carroll didn't give him this shot... He ended by saying, "I want to repay the Seahawks for believing in me"...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they let Geno walk, I believe we could get a 3rd round comp pick in 2024...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they let Geno walk, I believe we could get a 3rd round comp pick in 2024...

Most likely, assuming we lose more players than we sign.

But I think there is a real chance that other players would see letting Geno go as almost a betrayal of the entire ethos that Pete preaches. Geno stuck it out, played really well and helped get the Seahawks to the playoffs. He will never be an elite QB certainly, but if you are DK or Tyler or Lucas or Lewis, I would imagine they would much prefer another year with Geno than a lottery ticket with a rookie.

I could see them using a Day 2/3 pick on a QB. Especially if Lock walks.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most likely, assuming we lose more players than we sign.

But I think there is a real chance that other players would see letting Geno go as almost a betrayal of the entire ethos that Pete preaches. Geno stuck it out, played really well and helped get the Seahawks to the playoffs. He will never be an elite QB certainly, but if you are DK or Tyler or Lucas or Lewis, I would imagine they would much prefer another year with Geno than a lottery ticket with a rookie.

That's exactly how I view it as well...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You almost have to draft a QB at some point as a backup and possible down the road starter. I don't know if Drew Lock is a starter in this league or just destined to be a backup, but I bet he wants to have a chance to compete for a job. That's not happening with the Hawks for another X number of years if Geno is back, so I fully expect Lock to move on to a place like Houston, Carolina, Atlanta, Indy, NYC, etc.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You almost have to draft a QB at some point as a backup and possible down the road starter. I don't know if Drew Lock is a starter in this league or just destined to be a backup, but I bet he wants to have a chance to compete for a job. That's not happening with the Hawks for another X number of years if Geno is back, so I fully expect Lock to move on to a place like Houston, Carolina, Atlanta, Indy, NYC, etc.

Yeah. But I also don't know what sort of market there is for Lock. Getting guaranteed backup money might be better than fighting for a job and being unemployed if you don't get it.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind resigning the following:

1. Geno Smith - Looks like it's pretty much a given the FO and Geno want to move forward w/ one another so this will probably get done... Sign to a 2-3 year deal...
  2. Poona Ford - He didn't get a lot of sacks but he did lead the time in TFL and QB hits... Sign to a 3 year deal
  3. Ryan Neal - He's proven to be an effective, consistent safety for the Hawks... I'd offer him a 1 year deal if he'd take it... He would be a great safety valve, assuming we're going to hang onto Jamal Adams... Neal did have his best season as a pro so there may be a team out there that will give him a multi-year contract...
  4. Jonathon Abrams - I don't know - I liked what he brought to the table personally... I'd like to see if Carroll can get the best out of the young safety... I'd offer him a 2 year deal...
  5. Rashaad Penny - I know he's not popular here butI would see if we could sign him on a 1 year deal for 1 million or less...
I would be in favor of cutting, Gabe Jackson (we'd save 7 million) due to guards being much easier to replace; Shelby Harris (savings of 9 million); Q. Jefferson (savings of 4 million) and B. Mone (savings of roughly 3 million).. That would save us 22 million right there if we end up cutting those 4... Freeing salary up here would allow us to go after a guy like, DT Payne...

Do we cut Diggs? It would save 9.9 million... He didn't play up to expectations this year imo... He missed so many tackles it seemed... He took bad angles resulting in big plays given up... Outside of a few INT's, he didn't really seem to stand out... 10 million a year seems to be quite high for a guy like that...

If we do that. I wouldn't mind taking McCall from Coastal Carolina

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. But I also don't know what sort of market there is for Lock. Getting guaranteed backup money might be better than fighting for a job and being unemployed if you don't get it.
I don't know either. There could be significant shifts in the QB landscape across the league this offseason, maybe more than I can ever remember. Futures uncertain for Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Daniel Jones, and Geno Smith with current teams. Then you have almost certain to be on the market FAs like Jimmy G, Carr, Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Teddy 2Gloves, Jacoby Brissett, and others. Some of those guys are borderline talents or even considered busts, but they've all been starters this season and probably will be again at some point. There are going to be tons of familiar name QBs on new teams next year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know either. There could be significant shifts in the QB landscape across the league this offseason, maybe more than I can ever remember. Futures uncertain for Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Daniel Jones, and Geno Smith with current teams. Then you have almost certain to be on the market FAs like Jimmy G, Carr, Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Teddy 2Gloves, Jacoby Brissett, and others. Some of those guys are borderline talents or even considered busts, but they've all been starters this season and probably will be again at some point. There are going to be tons of familiar name QBs on new teams next year.

Yeah. And if you run through the league, you have to wonder how many open QB camps there are.

BIlls - All Set
Patriots - Probably set for next year at least.
Jets- 100% looking for a QB
Dolphins - Bit of a wild card. I could see them going for a backup with experiences like Dalton or Teddy or Brissett and hoping Tua can stay healthy
Ravens - Who knows?
Steelers - Probably set
Browns - All Set
Bengals - All Set
Titans - Up in the air. Good possibly look for a new QB but I doubt it
Texans - 100% looking for a QB
Colts - 100% looking for a QB
Jags - All Set
Chiefs - All Set
Chargers - All Set
Broncos - No real way they get off Russ next year even if he is cooked
Raiders - 100% looking for a new QB
Eagles - All Set
Redskins - 100% looking for a new QB
Giants - I think they resigned Dimes
Cowboys - All Set
Bears - Most likely all set
Vikings - Can't see them getting off of Cousins right now.
Lions - Goff more than did enough to stick around for next year.
Packers - Realistically I don't see how they can move off of Rodgers contract.
Saints - You have to assume they are looking for a new QB
Panthers - 100% looking for a new QB
Bucs - Seems like they are most likely looking for a new QB
Falcons - 100% need a QB
Niners - All Set
Rams - All Set
Cardinals - Can't see how they can move off of Murray
Seahawks - Geno most likely coming back.

7 teams 100% going for a new QB. Presumably, at least 3 of them will grab QBs in the draft. Maybe more. So those 4 other teams will be look at Jimmy G, Carr, and the rest of the pupu platter. So walking through it, I definitely could see a team taking a flyer on Lock. He won't get anything close to starter money. But he could get 5-10 million a year. I doubt the Hawks would match that.