• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agents

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ryan neal is the only guy on that list we should keep

im torn on geno. I dont think he is going to get us over the top even with a strong D, he turns the ball over too much and doesnt step up when pressure is on
I read an article where there was a possibility they would franchise tag Geno. I think that is the likely scenario for a few reasons.

1. The primary reason is that I doubt if Pete, at 72 years old, wants to break in another rookie QB. So if they are going with a vet, it may as well be someone he has been familiar with and successful with.
2. We need to use our upper-round draft picks on defense, not a QB.
3. If Schneider, with a focus on defense, somehow hits on a second consecutive successful draft, it could push the team into a position where they could be a contender for a second or third-round playoff berth, even with Geno at QB. Beare in mind we have rookies on the OL who will only get better next year, barring injuries.

If we were to use a draft pick on a QB, and it would have to be our first-round draft pick, does anyone really think the kid could come in and pass for 4200 yards and run for 350 more like Geno just did? I certainly don't. And I think the mindset we need to have is that we are not rebuilding like it seemed last summer. We've obliterated that idea. We're competing now. We are in a window of opportunity.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article where there was a possibility they would franchise tag Geno. I think that is the likely scenario for a few reasons.

1. The primary reason is that I doubt if Pete, at 72 years old, wants to break in another rookie QB. So if they are going with a vet, it may as well be someone he has been familiar with and successful with.
2. We need to use our upper-round draft picks on defense, not a QB.
3. If Schneider, with a focus on defense, somehow hits on a second consecutive successful draft, it could push the team into a position where they could be a contender for a second or third-round playoff berth, even with Geno at QB. Beare in mind we have rookies on the OL who will only get better next year, barring injuries.

If we were to use a draft pick on a QB, and it would have to be our first-round draft pick, does anyone really think the kid could come in and pass for 4200 yards and run for 350 more like Geno just did? I certainly don't. And I think the mindset we need to have is that we are not rebuilding like it seemed last summer. We've obliterated that idea. We're competing now. We are in a window of opportunity.
Yeah, this has been hashed, re-hashed, and hashed again here over the last few months. There are regular posters on both sides of the issue -- some who are vehemently against a QB with the 1.5, then those who think that's the way to go. I think the best move is bring Geno back on a 3 or 4 year deal and use that rare top 5 pick on a stud for the DL. I guess we'll see soon enough once free agency kicks off unless Geno is extended beforehand.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this has been hashed, re-hashed, and hashed again here over the last few months. There are regular posters on both sides of the issue -- some who are vehemently against a QB with the 1.5, then those who think that's the way to go. I think the best move is bring Geno back on a 3 or 4 year deal and use that rare top 5 pick on a stud for the DL. I guess we'll see soon enough once free agency kicks off unless Geno is extended beforehand.

Watching the Niners makes me even more certain that I want the Hawks to draft DL with both of their 1st round picks. Watching how much of an impact Thibadeaux is having with the Giants reinforces my belief.

We need to our lines better.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Niners makes me even more certain that I want the Hawks to draft DL with both of their 1st round picks. Watching how much of an impact Thibadeaux is having with the Giants reinforces my belief.

Yeah, I think the 49ers win it all. They have the best offense (currently) and the best defense. I think the only way they are stopped is if one of their big 3 on O goes down or if Purdy just breaks out in turnovers....in other words, something fluky.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the 49ers win it all. They have the best offense (currently) and the best defense. I think the only way they are stopped is if one of their big 3 on O goes down or if Purdy just breaks out in turnovers....in other words, something fluky.

And when you have a dominant pass rush, it changes the entire complexion of the game.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdy has made a huge difference. Points for 49ers since Purdy became QB is as follows:
21 ( Seattle)
41 ( Seattle)

49ers are sustaining drives ( giving the D a chance to catch their breath) scoring consistently ( allowing the D to play with a lead and unleash the pass rush).

Biggest difference for the Giants this season is the play of Daniel Jones IMO, having Barkley bounce back and the defense play stout were important also, but Jones is/was the key. Much like Geno Jones been having his best season this year.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how the niners fair against a quality team. go back and look at their 10 game win streak, the "best" team they played was the choking chargers. im not denying they are an elite team, but I am questioning purdy being the second coming. nobody has been set up to succeed more than he has, possibly ever.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has made a huge difference. Points for 49ers since Purdy became QB is as follows:
21 ( Seattle)
41 ( Seattle)

49ers are sustaining drives ( giving the D a chance to catch their breath) scoring consistently ( allowing the D to play with a lead and unleash the pass rush).

Biggest difference for the Giants this season is the play of Daniel Jones IMO, having Barkley bounce back and the defense play stout were important also, but Jones is/was the key. Much like Geno Jones been having his best season this year.

Getting Christian McCaffrey made a pretty huge difference. Having a healthy George Kittle makes a huge difference. As does a healthy Deebo Samuel.

But certainly Purdy has done a great job in that offense. And having the best defense in football, makes sure that Purdy rarely has to play with any serious urgency.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how the niners fair against a quality team. go back and look at their 10 game win streak, the "best" team they played was the choking chargers. im not denying they are an elite team, but I am questioning purdy being the second coming. nobody has been set up to succeed more than he has, possibly ever.

The only elite team in the NFC outside of the Niners is the Eagles.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And having the best defense in football, makes sure that Purdy rarely has to play with any serious urgency.
he wasnt looking good when the game was close, 50% completion rate, mostly settling for FGs.

but who knows, maybe he is the messiah

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wasnt looking good when the game was close, 50% completion rate, mostly settling for FGs.

You never know how good a new starting QB is until they go through their own internal crisis.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone seen a list of other free agents? The one that comes to mind is Odell Beckham, who seemed to want to sign with someone so he could play in the super bowl. He cant be the only one who sat out due to injury last year that need to be added to a list.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone seen a list of other free agents? The one that comes to mind is Odell Beckham, who seemed to want to sign with someone so he could play in the super bowl. He cant be the only one who sat out due to injury last year that need to be added to a list.
wasnt he just removed off a flight for being piss drunk and taking his pants off?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if can do that, then great. Cutting Adams simply to cut Adams doesn't make sense.

@MrS might be wrong here (maybe IR x2 gets us some sort of kickback), but it literally costs Seattle more money to cut Jamal Adams this year... 2024 is the only year where we start saving.

At this point just keep him and maybe he'll get CPOY.... the defense is a giant train wreck at the moment, so might as well hope for Adams to rebound. I'd just convert him to linebacker (which was the plan, money linebacker), keep Neal, and call it a fuckin' day - if he gets injured again fuck it, whatever. Our cap position is not that great with all the free agents we have to begin with... hopefully nail another draft and Smith signs cheap and call it a day.

I also wouldn't mind Carroll potentially retiring and promoting Waldron to head coach. The decision to 3-4 it this year was baffling to me, and Pete looked completely lost in the 9ers playoff game while Waldron IMO coached a VERY nice performance (sure as fuck wasn't coming from Pete).

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents I want us to look at

DT
Jason hargrave
Da'ron Payne
Dremont jones

OL
Dalton risner

@MrS might be wrong here (maybe IR x2 gets us some sort of kickback), but it literally costs Seattle more money to cut Jamal Adams this year... 2024 is the only year where we start saving
We can cut him june 1 designation and save $11m. That money would be better spent on the DL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The overall talent on that team makes life about as easy for Purdy as it can be, a la Russ in 2013. He's playing well (as Russ did), but he's more or less in a position where he just needs to not screw it up.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Buffalo and Cincinnati were blunderbutting around yesterday, it doesn't look like either one can get past KC. If the Eagles make it to the championship round, I believe SF's defensive coordinator will have an answer for Hurts. I don't think the Philly DC will have an answer for McCaffrey and Deebo. KC and SF in the superbowl seems like a safe bet.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Buffalo and Cincinnati were blunderbutting around yesterday, it doesn't look like either one can get past KC. If the Eagles make it to the championship round, I believe SF's defensive coordinator will have an answer for Hurts. I don't think the Philly DC will have an answer for McCaffrey and Deebo. KC and SF in the superbowl seems like a safe bet.
Yeah, who knows. These are humans after all, and level of performance can vary from one week to the next. I generally agree that KC should come out of the AFC, but I do think the Bengals are capable of playing at a really high level probably more so than the Bills.

The only NFC team that I think has a fair chance to beat SF is Philly, and that's mainly because of HFA. I probably still take SF in that game if they both win in the div round.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing most by now have seen Geno's presser where he says he wants to finish his career in Seattle. And then this morning on 710, PC said that Geno knows this is the best place for him. They still have to make the numbers work, but these statements don't come from people who no longer want to work together.