• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agency and Trades

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been putting thoughs on free agency in multiple threads and I thought it might be nice to have it where we can find thoughts and actions.

We've all said that there are three positions of immediate need on the patriots.

Offensive Tackle
Wide Receiver
Cornerback

Then three others where some help or improvement would be beneficial

Linebacker
Safety
Center

Let's try to discuss things without pulling out weapons.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying that BB should go after Orlando Brown, but the more I think about it, the cost could severely crimp anything he tries to do. There are a few OTs that are available that would be well worth signing and both could cost less than $12M per year.

Mike McGkinchey OT SF
Taylor Lewan OT TENN
Andre Dillard OY PHI

If they cost $24M a year for the next five, the OL would be solid and drafting OTs could be less of a priority.

WR are very thin and the two most experienced and well kniwn are both trying to catch on after injury in 2022,

Mike Thomas WR NO
Odell Beckham WR LAR

Then there's Jakobi Meyers who most likely will be priced out of the Patriots budget. Then there's Alan Lazard WR GB who's been a clutch receiver for Aaron Rogers.

Things get very interesting when CBs are discussed. Johnathan Jones has stated publicly on Twitter that he would prefer to stay in NE. Does that mean he'd take a discount? He has played both slot CB and outside as well as the safety position. How about going after someone like Emmanual Mosely CB SF, Byron Murphy CB ARZ or Rock Ya-Sin CB LV? These guys won't break the bank but could ease the pressure in the 2023 draft.

Thoughts?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been putting thoughs on free agency in multiple threads and I thought it might be nice to have it where we can find thoughts and actions.

We've all said that there are three positions of immediate need on the patriots.

Offensive Tackle
Wide Receiver
Cornerback

Then three others where some help or improvement would be beneficial

Linebacker
Safety
Center

Let's try to discuss things without pulling out weapons.
Well I have made this clear RT Mike McGlinchey is my number one target. The right side of the ball is where we got slaughtered last year. He IMO is a must call and talk to prospect.

IMO The WR FA pool sucks this year so I would not consider to much there.

CB I would work hard to keep Jones on the roster. And then draft a CB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about trading a 4th round pick for Hopkins? That seems to be what the Cards will have to settle for unless someone decides they want him and overpays?

BTW, Tee Higgins is off the board. The Bengals GM posted a note yesterday and said he is not available. "Go get your own wide receivers."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about trading a 4th round pick for Hopkins? That seems to be what the Cards will have to settle for unless someone decides they want him and overpays?

BTW, Tee Higgins is off the board. The Bengals GM posted a note yesterday and said he is not available. "Go get your own wide receivers."
I am unsure Hopkins is on the market at all. People keep tying him to the Pats b/c BB said "You're having a hell of a career" that's the media always jumping to conclusion. But for a 4th? Yeah I would do that Cards won't but I would.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying that BB should go after Orlando Brown, but the more I think about it, the cost could severely crimp anything he tries to do. There are a few OTs that are available that would be well worth signing and both could cost less than $12M per year.

Mike McGkinchey OT SF
Taylor Lewan OT TENN
Andre Dillard OY PHI

If they cost $24M a year for the next five, the OL would be solid and drafting OTs could be less of a priority.

WR are very thin and the two most experienced and well kniwn are both trying to catch on after injury in 2022,

Mike Thomas WR NO
Odell Beckham WR LAR

Then there's Jakobi Meyers who most likely will be priced out of the Patriots budget. Then there's Alan Lazard WR GB who's been a clutch receiver for Aaron Rogers.

Things get very interesting when CBs are discussed. Johnathan Jones has stated publicly on Twitter that he would prefer to stay in NE. Does that mean he'd take a discount? He has played both slot CB and outside as well as the safety position. How about going after someone like Emmanual Mosely CB SF, Byron Murphy CB ARZ or Rock Ya-Sin CB LV? These guys won't break the bank but could ease the pressure in the 2023 draft.

Thoughts?
I'm all for looking for another Stephon Gilmore at corner - if we can find one and poach him.
There are good tackles in the draft. We would do well to draft one or a couple. - instead of going after a "still good but mostly done" Taylor.
OBJ? Just no. We have already rtied and been hurt by the diva castaways!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor and Lewan are both 27. Wouldn't call them done.

Ya=Sin and Mosely are both around 27-28.

A lot of these guys are going for their first post rookie contract. Problem is that there isn't a ton of money out there. Come March 15th, there will be a shit ton of cuts for half of the NFL just to get to the cap max.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If BB did something similar you'd say he was playing chess to drive up the price...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor and Lewan are both 27. Wouldn't call them done.

Ya=Sin and Mosely are both around 27-28.

A lot of these guys are going for their first post rookie contract. Problem is that there isn't a ton of money out there. Come March 15th, there will be a shit ton of cuts for half of the NFL just to get to the cap max.
Taylor Lewan is 31 and will turn 32 before the season.

Lewan had missed most of the 2020 and 2022 seasons due to ACL injuries and seemed to expect to be released when asked on his podcast or in media interactions.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Lewan is 31 and will turn 32 before the season.

Lewan had missed most of the 2020 and 2022 seasons due to ACL injuries and seemed to expect to be released when asked on his podcast or in media interactions.

So two seasons on ACL tears? No damn way I would entertain signing him

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two seasons on ACL tears? No damn way I would entertain signing him
I'd only take him as a back up at this point. Good team mate but those legs are a concern to me.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age is only a number! Right @BigKen ?????
yep and they keep getting bigger. 2 years ago I could barely walk across the street. add two years and remove 75 pounds and I can walk two and half miles in 80 degree heat and barely break a sweat.. And I can do 15 minute miles without exertion. Not bad for someone born in 1950. You're only as old as ""you"" think you are.

The list I saw had Lewan as 28 and I didn't do any research. Guess you can't believe the internet anymore. As far as his knee is concerned, I'd make him an offer, bring him in and see if he could hold up. If he can't, nothing lost, nothing gained. If he can be a backup for a year or two, he's a cheap fix when needed. According to the stats, 60% of NFL linemen wear at least one type of a knee brace.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep and they keep getting bigger. 2 years ago I could barely walk across the street. add two years and remove 75 pounds and I can walk two and half miles in 80 degree heat and barely break a sweat.. And I can do 15 minute miles without exertion. Not bad for someone born in 1950. You're only as old as ""you"" think you are.

The list I saw had Lewan as 28 and I didn't do any research. Guess you can't believe the internet anymore. As far as his knee is concerned, I'd make him an offer, bring him in and see if he could hold up. If he can't, nothing lost, nothing gained. If he can be a backup for a year or two, he's a cheap fix when needed. According to the stats, 60% of NFL linemen wear at least one type of a knee brace.
80 degree heat? What the hell is that?
Is that like 60 degree cold?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80 degree heat? What the hell is that?
Is that like 60 degree cold?
80 is heat to me, blood will thin and it will become warm.

60 is warm. might be cool in a couple of years.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80 is heat to me, blood will thin and it will become warm.

60 is warm. might be cool in a couple of years.
Not sure our blood really thins. After 30 years I am still very uncomfortable with June. July, August and September.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Patriots inquired before the 2022 trade deadline and offered a 2nd and 5th and the Broncos said no for Jerry Juedy.

Accoeding tp Mark Bertrand on 98.5, they have again inquired and the Broncos are willing to move him........for a 1st.

Patrots said no.

Discussions continue at the Combine.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic's Chad Graff writes New England's top trade options at wideout at this point are "probably" DeAndre Hopkins and Brandin Cooks.​

Graff writes this in a piece that rules out several other options including Keenan Allen and throws water on the idea of the Patriots selecting a wideout early in the draft. "The guess here is that the price tag would be a second-round pick for Hopkins and a third-round pick for Cooks," Graff adds. These are definitely the top two wideouts readily available on the trade market, though we imagine a Bill O'Brien-DeAndre Hopkins reunion would have some interesting hurdles to work through.