• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Draft Lottery thread

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting quandary question....

With the whole Sex Assault on 2017. Do the Hawks deserve the Can't miss prospect?
Not really. But the NHL I bet is looking at it this way, the current organization is being punished for the past, do they deserve it? And just like the people involved don't deserve a second chance in NHL Management or coaching but Kevin Cheveldayoff is still with the Jets and Bowman is linked to the Penguins GM job.

And for the others, they will have to talk to Bettman to get jobs again. Why not just permanently ban them all vs giving them an opportunity to work again in the NHL.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. But the NHL I bet is looking at it this way, the current organization is being punished for the past, do they deserve it? And just like the people involved don't deserve a second chance in NHL Management or coaching but Kevin Cheveldayoff is still with the Jets and Bowman is linked to the Penguins GM job.

And for the others, they will have to talk to Bettman to get jobs again. Why not just permanently ban them all vs giving them an opportunity to work again in the NHL.
The Hawks ownership is still Hawks ownership. They wrote the guy a letter of recommendation AFTER they knew what he'd done so he could get a job at a school where he did it again.
The current organization is, at the top, the same organization and they have faced no consequences. Sure Quenneville lost his cushy Florida Job and Bowman got to quit. But do the Wirtz' still own the team? Yep. They had to pay a fine of less than a single game's ticket sales.

And what about the players who bullied the victim? Some may still be collecting big salaries. Some may be working in broadcasting or in management with other orgs.

I would have been fine with them getting Bedard to move forward if there had been ANY kind of consequential punishment for the past. Of course the problem is, the most logical punishment (besides individual bans) would be the loss of draft capital, and the Jackets had their 1st last year so this pick would be the next logical one. I don't know the answer, but organizations (sport or otherwise) who systemically cover up crime as a matter of convenience or gain need to face consequences at least as harsh as what seeing how many pushups a prospect can do too early gets. But the guy whose job it is to make those calls is working directly for the people who need their feet held to the fire, well....

Cops on the corner, always ignore
Somebody's gettin paid
Jimmy got it wired, law's for hire
Got it made in the shade

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks ownership is still Hawks ownership. They wrote the guy a letter of recommendation AFTER they knew what he'd done so he could get a job at a school where he did it again.
The current organization is, at the top, the same organization and they have faced no consequences. Sure Quenneville lost his cushy Florida Job and Bowman got to quit. But do the Wirtz' still own the team? Yep. They had to pay a fine of less than a single game's ticket sales.

And what about the players who bullied the victim? Some may still be collecting big salaries. Some may be working in broadcasting or in management with other orgs.

I would have been fine with them getting Bedard to move forward if there had been ANY kind of consequential punishment for the past. Of course the problem is, the most logical punishment (besides individual bans) would be the loss of draft capital, and the Jackets had their 1st last year so this pick would be the next logical one. I don't know the answer, but organizations (sport or otherwise) who systemically cover up crime as a matter of convenience or gain need to face consequences at least as harsh as what seeing how many pushups a prospect can do too early gets. But the guy whose job it is to make those calls is working directly for the people who need their feet held to the fire, well....

Cops on the corner, always ignore
Somebody's gettin paid
Jimmy got it wired, law's for hire
Got it made in the shade
Oh I know. Was alluding to the fact that is the lame excuse the NHL would use.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I am in the bargaining stage of grief. :thumb:
:suds: Yep. It is beyond belief this is swept under the rug but do we really expect any different.

We should expect better but in reality it doesn't happen.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy has some of the worst takes - No matter what the Canucks did, there's no way they would have been competing with the Hawks and Ducks for a chance at Bedard. The draft lottery should be abolished in my opinion, but that's a topic for another day.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft lottery should be abolished in my opinion, but that's a topic for another day.
200w.gif

I get the idea, you don't want to reward losing on purpose. But that's exactly what happened here. And a league with questionable scruples hiding the process from the public eye until after the result just opens up a whole lot more problems than it's worth.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the idea, you don't want to reward losing on purpose. But that's exactly what happened here. And a league with questionable scruples hiding the process from the public eye until after the result just opens up a whole lot more problems than it's worth.

The thing is, players don't tank, they've worked their asses off to make it to the NHL, you take a couple of shifts off and at best you are benched. Once you get in a coach's bad book, you could be a) traded or b) headed down to the minors. As far as coaches go, they don't tank either, the 32 coaching jobs available in the NHL are very lucrative and once you have one, you're going to do your best to keep it.

GM's are the only people in an organization that can effectively tank and of course that's by trading away a top player for picks and prospects. It's just funny to me seeing all these tweets and posts about teams winning games and blowing their chances at a better draft pick. Take it away Herm Edwards...

AnnualConcreteLemming-size_restricted.gif

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, players don't tank, they've worked their asses off to make it to the NHL, you take a couple of shifts off and at best you are benched. Once you get in a coach's bad book, you could be a) traded or b) headed down to the minors. As far as coaches go, they don't tank either, the 32 coaching jobs available in the NHL are very lucrative and once you have one, you're going to do your best to keep it.

GM's are the only people in an organization that can effectively tank and of course that's by trading away a top player for picks and prospects. It's just funny to me seeing all these tweets and posts about teams winning games and blowing their chances at a better draft pick. Take it away Herm Edwards...

Ironically, if the Jackets had won one more game, they would have finished where Chicago was and gotten 1OA. After all that hand wringing about needing to lose for better odds from the Kool Aid drinkers.

I saw a proposal once about the draft that final order be determined by how many points were accumulated after a team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It would give a team incentive to win games. I liked that idea. Teams eliminated first would have the most opportunity to score points - so bad teams will still have the chance to get quality players. And best of all, it's measurable and out in the open.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, players don't tank, they've worked their asses off to make it to the NHL, you take a couple of shifts off and at best you are benched.

Nashville this past year bears this out. Scuffling along, team decides to sell at the deadline, throw in injuries to any vets left and play basically your AHL team the rest of the way. Should be a recipe for a high draft pick but instead the kids played their asses off and made it to game 81 before being eliminated.

I saw a proposal once about the draft that final order be determined by how many points were accumulated after a team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It would give a team incentive to win games.

I like that idea too.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 1992-1993 Ottawa Senators
and
the 2014-2015 Edmonton Oilers

dislike this

You forgot the 1983-1984 Pittsburgh Penguins lol

Ya see. Even in those cases I don't think the players tanked. The organizations put out horrible rosters, but the players were trying. They just sucked.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya see. Even in those cases I don't think the players tanked. The organizations put out horrible rosters, but the players were trying. They just sucked.
doesnt matter anyway..

Bedard will be a bust.

200w.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eddie Johnstone and Lou Angotti certainly were putting out a bad Pittsburgh roster.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at Hextall, he did everything in his power to make the Penguins dog shit and they still almost made the playoffs. :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread on the Michkov situation and why there is no choice but to wait.