• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NBA Offseason

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true.

And yet, go ahead and look at the free agent class for 2021. Giannis, Kawhi and PG are the top names.

PG is going to be in high demand despite this because he is still one of the best wing defenders in the NBA and a very good offensive player (at least in the regular season).

Not saying the team that signs him is going to win titles, I am only saying that the notion that PG isn’t going to get max offers from good teams is incorrect. Might not be 4-5 year max deals, but he will get that short term max barring major injury.

I don't know. It'll be interesting. He's definitely a very good defender and even though he can't shoot for shit in the playoffs, he does still play defense. I wouldn't have a problem if the Lakers somehow were able to get him, but I wouldn't want them to give him a full max, even short term.

But, you're probably right. Even if a true contender doesn't or can't give him a max deal, some 4-8 seed level team would.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Miami honestly spending max money on PG, unless they feel he'd strive in their system. But the last few years, he's developed a reputation of not being able to deliver in the playoffs. With Donnovan you could make the excuse of coaching. Doc appears to have been a 1-hit wonder in Boston and really never took the Clips to another level as promised. If he were to come to Miami, he's not going to get away with criticizing and blaming Spo with his track record.

To be fair, Spo is quietly approaching Pop level credibility as far as anyone questioning or criticizing him. Lebron could go back to Miami and wouldn't be allowed to criticize or question Spo.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,346.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spo will most likely coach in Miami the rest of his career.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spo will most likely coach in Miami the rest of his career.

Yeah, he's about as close to spending an entire career with one team as any coach ever. Unless he just loves coaching, I'd expect him to replace Riley as GM when Riley finally decides to retire.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,346.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's about as close to spending an entire career with one team as any coach ever. Unless he just loves coaching, I'd expect him to replace Riley as GM when Riley finally decides to retire.
That was in the back of my mind also.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Spo is quietly approaching Pop level credibility as far as anyone questioning or criticizing him. Lebron could go back to Miami and wouldn't be allowed to criticize or question Spo.

Yeah, that's my point. This past season did wonders for Spo's coaching rep. He's quickly moving into untouchable status.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. It'll be interesting. He's definitely a very good defender and even though he can't shoot for shit in the playoffs, he does still play defense. I wouldn't have a problem if the Lakers somehow were able to get him, but I wouldn't want them to give him a full max, even short term.

But, you're probably right. Even if a true contender doesn't or can't give him a max deal, some 4-8 seed level team would.

Just the way the economics of free agency work.

The Kris Middleton’s, Paul George’s and Jimmy Butler’s always get max offers.

And yes, I included Butler because last summer when he was a FA, he was in a very similar spot to where George is today. Butler’s status has improved a lot since.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the way the economics of free agency work.

The Kris Middleton’s, Paul George’s and Jimmy Butler’s always get max offers.

And yes, I included Butler because last summer when he was a FA, he was in a very similar spot to where George is today. Butler’s status has improved a lot since.

Not disagreeing with you, because you're right. But Butler's rep was he was an asshole to be with. You never looked at him and said he didn't perform. You had to actually use your brain to understand that the teams he was on, were for horrible franchises (Minnesota and Chicago stand out).

PG is a different issue - when the playoffs come around, he shrinks. It's shown in OKC and now in LA.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,346.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not disagreeing with you, because you're right. But Butler's rep was he was an asshole to be with. You never looked at him and said he didn't perform. You had to actually use your brain to understand that the teams he was on, were for horrible franchises (Minnesota and Chicago stand out).

PG is a different issue - when the playoffs come around, he shrinks. It's shown in OKC and now in LA.
+100

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Before Miami's run to the Finals I thought Spo was one of the more underappreciated coaches. And this nonsense he's not a good coach because he had the Heatles. No championship level coach has ever reach the ultimate goal without great players.

What's Pop without Duncan, Robinson, Manu, Parker?
What's Riley without KAJ, Magic, Worthy, Wade, Shaq?
What's Phil without MJ, Kobe, Shaq?
How many rings does Red collect without Russell & all the other HOFer's he drafted?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Miami's run to the Finals I thought Spo was one of the more underappreciated coaches. And this nonsense he's not a good coach because he had the Heatles. No championship level coach has ever reach the ultimate goal without great players.

How many rings does Red collect without Russell & all the other HOFer's he drafted?

pop would’ve been fired before y2k if not for their tankapalooza and the NBA lottery rigging

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pop would’ve been fired before y2k if not for their tankapalooza and the NBA lottery rigging

The NBA rigged the lottery so Zion would end up in New Orleans? Just kidding. There's been years when the lottery was rigged- '85 & '03 come to mind. But I don't think it's rigged every year.

Last edited:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NBA rigged the lottery so Zion would end up in New Orleans? Just kidding. There's been years when the lottery was rigged- '85 & '03 come to mind. But I don't think it's rigged every year.

97 was one

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the league rigged the lottery to put a player in a smaller market? Why do that?

they floated some bs that Robinson was gonna retire.

chicago got the top pick after Jordan’s retired

Cle got it after bron left

NO got it after Paul and brow forced their way out.

far too many coincidences

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they floated some bs that Robinson was gonna retire.

chicago got the top pick after Jordan’s retired

Cle got it after bron left

NO got it after Paul and brow forced their way out.

far too many coincidences

Damn didn't realize all of that. Thanks for the info.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure.

But his value was in question because of the asshole rep and his relatively limited role in Philly.

Don’t think many would have had Butler in their top 15s last summer. PG was in a lot of top 10s.

Recency bias tends to impact our perception of value. The reality is, there are probably quite a few rosters out there where George would make a better fit than Butler. I think Butler thrives as the clear cut leader/best player. George might be the opposite.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spo is arguably the best coach in the league right now. Yeah yeah Pop but he is getting really old.