• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if the Giants will try to sign another lefty to compete for a bullpen spot but one more came off the market. Craig Breslow signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays. That leaves the following (not counting primarily starters still on the market):

1. Watson
2. Abad
3. de la Rosa
4. Liriano
5. Siegrist
6. Perez
Haven't heard anything more on Watson but another lefthander went off the market. de la Rosa is rumored to have returned to the D-Backs on a minor league deal. That leaves 5 left handed relievers available. One I will move up the list is Kevin Siegrist. On the same day of the Lincecum showcase, Siegrist did his own showcase. I didn't see the list of teams that attended it, but there was rumored to be close to the same amount that attended Lincecum's. If he is healthy, I wouldn't mind the Giants signing him to a minor league deal and let him slug it out with Osich, Okert, Holland and Snelten for a lefty spot.

1. Watson
2. Siegrist
3. Abad
3. Liriano
5. Perez

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid move, obviously. They must be pretty sure they can stay under the tax line...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the possibilities for a DFA are Roberto Gomez, both Os and Parker.

But realistically, I would be shocked with anyone other than Gomez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid move, obviously. They must be pretty sure they can stay under the tax line...
Bags tweeted just yesterday that the Gs will NOT go over the CBT, no matter what.

Apparently the deal is for multiple seasons, but I can’t imagine a contract he would sign with an AAV of less than 2M (unless it is a 10/20 or something ridiculous like that)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated for the Watson signing...

Locks (18)

Bum
Cueto
Samardzijia

Melancon
Watson
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Law

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
McCutchen
Pence
Jackson

Starts on DL (1)

Smith

Out of options (5)

Fernandez (Rule V)
Gregorio
Parker
Gorkys
Sandoval

So that leaves these as “open” (current leading contender)...

2 SP (Stratton, Blach) (Beede, Suarez, Holland)
1 reliever (Fernandez) (Blach, Snelton, Osich, Okert, Gregorio)
2 utility infielders (Sandoval, Tomlinson) (Jones, Shaw, Blanco, Rutledge)
2 bu OFer (Parker, Gorkys) (Blanco, Williamson, Slater, Duggar)

This means we “lose” Gregorio.

Only change is Watson locking up a lefty reliever spot. Not good news for the Os. While I have Fernandez as the front runner, I would still be surprised if he locks down the last spot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Locks (18)

Bum
Cueto
Samardzijia

Melancon
Watson
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Law

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
McCutchen
Pence
Jackson

Starts on DL (1)

Smith

Out of options (5)

Fernandez (Rule V)
Gregorio
Parker
Gorkys
Sandoval

Only change is Watson locking up a lefty reliever spot. Not good news for the Os. While I have Fernandez as the front runner, I would still be surprised if he locks down the last spot.

Me too, especially since #55 is coming....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bags tweeted just yesterday that the Gs will NOT go over the CBT, no matter what.

Apparently the deal is for multiple seasons, but I can’t imagine a contract he would sign with an AAV of less than 2M (unless it is a 10/20 or something ridiculous like that)

Great move. He's a obvious upgrade over the O's.

Apparently it's a 2-year deal with a player option for a 3rd year. There's $7m guaranteed over the 3 years which means he counts for just $2.3m against the tax this season. He has certain escalators that earn him more money, but they don't affect this year's luxury tax calculation. So the $2.3m is a set cost, as far as I can gather.

So somehow no other team out there could beat a 3/$7m

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, especially since #55 is coming....

Only if he agrees to be a middle relief weapon like the 2012 playoffs. I know he's roided up now but let's get real.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Locks (18)

Bum
Cueto
Samardzijia

Melancon
Watson
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Law

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
McCutchen
Pence
Jackson

Starts on DL (1)

Smith

Out of options (5)

Fernandez (Rule V)
Gregorio
Parker
Gorkys
Sandoval

My early guess:

Bum-Cueto-Shark-Stratton-Blach

Melancon-Dyson-Strickland-Watson-Gearrin-Law (I'd say he's not a lock, just because of options)-Fernandez

Posey-Belt-Panik-Crawford-Longoria-Pence-Jackson-Cutch

Hundley-Sandoval-Tomlinson-Parker-Hernandez

I still think adding another CFer is not out of the realm of possibilities. Swapping Hernandez for Jarrod Dyson makes sense. Get the R/L platoon with Jackson and elite defense that backs up all 3 spots.

Unless Beede or Suarez totally kills it in ST, I don't think they'll make it. The Giants have proven they're okay waiting to call up prospects until they can solidify that extra year of control. Same goes for Duggar.

I could see the Giants trying to work out a trade for Fernandez so they can send him down, but TBH I don't see a real threat to him yet, unless the Giants sign a few vets to MiLB deals. His biggest threat could be Smith I guess come May.

Someone may take a chance on Gregorio, but the Giants will likely be able to slip him through waivers at the end of spring. In reality, will it matter? Dude still has a long hill to climb. If he figures it out on another team, props to the other team. I wouldn't hold it against the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My early guess:

Melancon-Dyson-Strickland-Watson-Gearrin-Law (I'd say he's not a lock, just because of options)-Fernandez

I still think adding another CFer is not out of the realm of possibilities. Swapping Hernandez for Jarrod Dyson makes sense. Get the R/L platoon with Jackson and elite defense that backs up all 3 spots.

Unless Beede or Suarez totally kills it in ST, I don't think they'll make it. The Giants have proven they're okay waiting to call up prospects until they can solidify that extra year of control. Same goes for Duggar.

I could see the Giants trying to work out a trade for Fernandez so they can send him down, but TBH I don't see a real threat to him yet, unless the Giants sign a few vets to MiLB deals. His biggest threat could be Smith I guess come May.

Someone may take a chance on Gregorio, but the Giants will likely be able to slip him through waivers at the end of spring. In reality, will it matter? Dude still has a long hill to climb. If he figures it out on another team, props to the other team. I wouldn't hold it against the Giants.
Looks like we are in lockstep on where the roster sits right now.

Law is probably the most “in danger” of all “locks”, but I would still consider it a rather big surprise if he doesn’t make the team (barring injury, of course).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is that a good bully, when healthy?

Closer - Melancon

LSU - Smith
RSU - Dyson

Mid - Strickland, Law, Gearin

LOOGY - Watson

——————————

I don’t see any major holes, but I don’t see fear in the opposing batters eyes, either.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Closer - Melancon

LSU - Smith
RSU - Dyson

LOOGY - Watson

——————————

I don’t see any major holes, but I don’t see fear in the opposing batters eyes, either.

Pretty much describes the Giants, and a wild card team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And only one home-grown bully arm...

Bell has a lot of work in front of him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR estimated Watson would sign a 2/12. Giants got him at 3/7.

Wow...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Closer - Melancon

LSU - Smith
RSU - Dyson

LOOGY - Watson

——————————

Relievers are fickle but if each guy is performing around their career norms (with Law being an exception because he doesn't really have much of a sample size), it's a good Pen. One that I feel good going to battle with.

That last part is why Fernandez is key though. He has the ability to be special so it would be ideal if the Giants could hold onto him, whether he's pitching once or twice a week in low-stress situations, or the Giants can complete a trade for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the actual contract isn’t out yet, rumors are leaking out. The 3/7 is the absolute bare bones. With escalators and bonuses, though, it could end up being a 3/21. The way escalators work, the later years of the contract really hit the team hard in regards to CBT.

I am OK with this, though. They are not in long-term building. A tear down IS coming, just not THIS year. Who cares what the salary level is in ‘19 or ‘20. Those are going to be painful seasons.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My early guess:

No room left under the tax now. The Giants are tapped out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Closer - Melancon

LSU - Smith
RSU - Dyson

LOOGY - Watson

——————————

I don't think Watson will be used like JLo was...he's a full inning pitcher. I think they will have 5-6 guys who can give Boch a late game inning.