• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But can Hundley handle a knuckelballer? That seems like a question that should be addressed long before January if the Giants were to go that route.
He's a professional catcher. He'll learn. This is baseball, not internal medicine. This is not an issue.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a professional catcher. He'll learn. This is not an issue.
My understanding of the knuckleball is that the catcher has as much to do with the success of the pitcher as the pitcher being able to consistently throw it. Doug Mirabelli made a career in Boston by being able to catch Tim Wakefield. He knew how to anticipate the movement on that pitch, which is essential to prevent passed balls with runners on base, and had to wear a special glove to block pitches. Hundley may be a professional but not many catchers can just handle catching a knuckleball. There are a lot of professionals who cannot just instantly learn how to do something well in a short amount of time.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, signing RA Dickey is a no-brainer. Veteran, cheap, consistent, innings eater.

If Hundley can catch it that would be ideal. He'd really mess up the timing for opposing hitters that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the series. Imagine in a 3-games series having to face Dickey game one, then the next game you have to face Bum who hides the ball extremely well and is tough to pick up, then having to face Cueto the next game who messes up your timing with shimmies and quick pitching and all.

That's a lot of stress on an opposing team.

But I'm not sure Hundley can catch a knuckleball (the fact that we don't know probably means he hasn't, for most catchers that can it's a known trait) and it's not as easy as you suggest. As LGH pointed out guys normally have special catchers for this. Kurt Suzuki trued to catch Dickey a number of times last year and it went very poorly, though the Braves were a bad team so no one cared.

I more brought it up more thinking about the cool possibility of it and the trickle down effect he has.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs just re-signed Duensing to a two year deal. However, another lefty is available, for the time being, Buddy Boshers. He got dfa'd by the Twins and had a nice lefty vs. lefty slash last year (.224/.258/.397) but got killed by right handers. If the Giants picked him up, he would be another guy they'd need to stick to facing lefties only. I'd put him somewhere around Travis Wood:

1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. de la Rosa
5. Wood
6. Boshers
7. Liriano
8. Perez
9. Breslow
10. Perkins

The bottom half of this list, though, makes no sense over Osich or Okert. The Giants may as well stay with what they got if they get that far.
The Astros claimed Boshers off waivers today. However, another name to add to this list is Kevin Siegrist. I want to add him to the upper part of this list, due to his extraordinary rookie season and solid seasons in 2015 and 2016. However, while his career numbers against lefties (.229/.344/.357) are okay, a closer look would suggest that they are skewed. He was lights out in 2013, posting a .118/.241/.147 against lefties. But in 2014, things began to look much different. That season, he got lit up, on both sides of the plate, but lefties posted a higher OPS (.827) than righties (.811) that season. He had a much better 2015, but mainly because righties couldn't figure him out (.511 OPS vs. .811 against lefties). His 2016 showed a better balance between the two sides, but lefties (.690) still did better than righties (.631) against him. This last season showed a serious regression, with lefties posting an .828 OPS (while righties posted a 7.92). Considering that his career lefty slash is severely skewed by his rookie season, and that, since his rookie season, he's done better against right handed batters than left handers, he would fit toward the bottom of my wish list, and probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade to the Osich/Okert duo of 2017. Maybe he would be worth a minor league deal with an invite to spring to compete against those two and the best of the three breaks camp, but I wouldn't want to see him guaranteed a roster spot.

1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. de la Rosa
5. Wood
6. Liriano
7. Siegrist
8. Perez
9. Breslow
10. Perkins

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Austin Jackson is signing a 2/6. No word on the corresponding 40 man move, though. Maybe Vielma? Gorkys?

Gotta say, I dont really get this one. Is he really that much of an upgrade over Gorkys? Granted, though, you can’t argue the contract. At 6M, he only needs to accumulate .75 WAR over the next 2 years to pay for himself.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated for the Jackson signing...

Locks (17)

Bum
Cueto
Samardzijia

Melancon
Dyson
Gearrin
Strickland
Law

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
McCutchen
Pence
Jackson

Starts on DL (1)

Smith

Out of options (5)

Fernandez (Rule V)
Gregorio
Parker
Gorkys
Sandoval

So that leaves these as “open” (current leading contender)...

2 SP (Stratton, Blach)
2 relievers (at least 1 lefty) (Fernandez, Osich/Okert)
2 utility infielders (Sandoval, Tomlinson)
1 bu OFer (Parker)
1 OF/reliever (Gorkys)

This means we “lose” Gregorio.

Only real change is putting Duggar in Sacto with Jackson getting the starting nod in center. I would not be shocked to see Duggar beat out Gorkys for the last OF spot, though. He has to play well 3nough to platoon with Jackson, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF Giants’ Plan for 2018: Slap a Team Together to Keep the Money Rolling In | The Giants Cove
This guy's article is a bit jaded, even for my tastes, but it Austin Jackson is available for 2 million a year on a 1 or 2 year deal, I'd say bring him in. Baseball reference suggests, with a 77% chance of reliability, that he could slash .276/.337/.433 in 2018. I don't know much about how they got to that projection but that would make him a steal for 2 million.

Dick Dyer is a tool. He's a whiner and a constant "glass is broken and 1/8 full" kind of guy. He must have LOVED 2017.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros claimed Boshers off waivers today. However, another name to add to this list is Kevin Siegrist. I want to add him to the upper part of this list, due to his extraordinary rookie season and solid seasons in 2015 and 2016. However, while his career numbers against lefties (.229/.344/.357) are okay, a closer look would suggest that they are skewed. He was lights out in 2013, posting a .118/.241/.147 against lefties. But in 2014, things began to look much different. That season, he got lit up, on both sides of the plate, but lefties posted a higher OPS (.827) than righties (.811) that season. He had a much better 2015, but mainly because righties couldn't figure him out (.511 OPS vs. .811 against lefties). His 2016 showed a better balance between the two sides, but lefties (.690) still did better than righties (.631) against him. This last season showed a serious regression, with lefties posting an .828 OPS (while righties posted a 7.92). Considering that his career lefty slash is severely skewed by his rookie season, and that, since his rookie season, he's done better against right handed batters than left handers, he would fit toward the bottom of my wish list, and probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade to the Osich/Okert duo of 2017. Maybe he would be worth a minor league deal with an invite to spring to compete against those two and the best of the three breaks camp, but I wouldn't want to see him guaranteed a roster spot.

1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. de la Rosa
5. Wood
6. Liriano
7. Siegrist
8. Perez
9. Breslow
10. Perkins
As anticipated, Glen Perkins has retired. That leaves, to my knowledge, nine left-handed relievers still on the free agent market. I doubt the Giants have room on the ledger for Watson, so hopefully Cedeno or Abad can be picked up on a minor league deal. Otherwise, its probably not worth getting someone and the Giants need to calm the crap down on the trades.

1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. de la Rosa
5. Wood
6. Liriano
7. Siegrist
8. Perez
9. Breslow

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF Giants’ Plan for 2018: Slap a Team Together to Keep the Money Rolling In | The Giants Cove
This guy's article is a bit jaded, even for my tastes, but it Austin Jackson is available for 2 million a year on a 1 or 2 year deal, I'd say bring him in. Baseball reference suggests, with a 77% chance of reliability, that he could slash .276/.337/.433 in 2018. I don't know much about how they got to that projection but that would make him a steal for 2 million.

Don't they have to know the park he's in first?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As anticipated, Glen Perkins has retired. That leaves, to my knowledge, nine left-handed relievers still on the free agent market. I doubt the Giants have room on the ledger for Watson, so hopefully Cedeno or Abad can be picked up on a minor league deal. Otherwise, its probably not worth getting someone and the Giants need to calm the crap down on the trades.

1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. de la Rosa
5. Wood
6. Liriano
7. Siegrist
8. Perez
9. Breslow
Unfortunately, the Giants didn't snatch up Xavier Cedeno, as the White Sox signed him to a minor league deal. However, yet another lefty has been dfa'd, this time by the Mets. Josh Smoker has a great K rate of 11.7 per 9 innings in 74 big league appearances but his slash against lefties (.295/.381/.504) is actually worse than against righties (.264/.347/.459). Pass.
With Watson out of the Giants' price range, I'd only be excited if they get Abad on a minor league deal. Otherwise, they might as well go with Osich and Okert again.
1. Watson
2. Abad
3. de la Rosa
4. Wood
5. Liriano
6. Siegrist
7. Perez
8. Smoker
9. Breslow

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the Giants didn't snatch up Xavier Cedeno, as the White Sox signed him to a minor league deal. However, yet another lefty has been dfa'd, this time by the Mets. Josh Smoker has a great K rate of 11.7 per 9 innings in 74 big league appearances but his slash against lefties (.295/.381/.504) is actually worse than against righties (.264/.347/.459). Pass.
With Watson out of the Giants' price range, I'd only be excited if they get Abad on a minor league deal. Otherwise, they might as well go with Osich and Okert again.
1. Watson
2. Abad
3. de la Rosa
4. Wood
5. Liriano
6. Siegrist
7. Perez
8. Smoker
9. Breslow
Travis Wood has been signed by the Tigers to a minor league deal. Its getting to be slim pickings on the free agent market for left handed relievers:
1. Watson
2. Abad
3. de la Rosa
4. Liriano
5. Siegrist
6. Perez
7. Smoker
8. Breslow

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Susac just got dfa'd by the Brewers. I know who tzill wants the Giants to pick up for spring.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Susac just got dfa'd by the Brewers. I know who tzill wants the Giants to pick up for spring.

I could actually see this as a real possibility.... He's a huge Giants' fan and there's an element of familiarity still there.

OTOH the Giants have six catchers slated for AAA and MLB. He can probably find better opportunity elsewhere. And who knows maybe he's not happy that his favorite team traded him away.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could actually see this as a real possibility.... He's a huge Giants' fan and there's an element of familiarity still there.

OTOH the Giants have six catchers slated for AAA and MLB. He can probably find better opportunity elsewhere. And who knows maybe he's not happy that his favorite team traded him away.
I can see him coming back at some point, I just don’t see the fit right now.he would be #5 on the depth chart AT BEST (even though, as we all know, he is one of the 10 best catchers in the world RIGHT NOW).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops, just put this in the other thread.

Damn you!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see him coming back at some point, I just don’t see the fit right now.he would be #5 on the depth chart AT BEST (even though, as we all know, he is one of the 10 best catchers in the world RIGHT NOW).

He indeed was. Injuries are the suck.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes perfect sense to bring him back. I mean, we have at least a gazillion middle infielders, and we keep signing them. Why not a catcher? And of course, Giants World stops at the infield.....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense to bring him back. I mean, we have at least a gazillion middle infielders, and we keep signing them. Why not a catcher? And of course, Giants World stops at the infield.....
The Giants are really hoping to bring in another middle infielder or two and maybe another light hitting outfielder as well. They just don't have room for someone like Susac.