• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the stanton rumors are starting (again) on local radio. probably won't happen, but it's at least fun to think about
I just don't see the trade happening. Even if the ownership is foolish enough to trade him at a time when its critical for the franchise to keep him, the Giants simply don't have the trade pieces to compete in the Stanton market. Then there is the question of how adversely his contract would affect the team. They would be hard pressed to field a competitive roster around him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants crushed and swept as Diamondbacks score nine runs in the eighth
Really Shulman, the bullpen? If the FO makes the bullpen their off season priority, then I'll question them more. I already question pitching Melancon in this lost season if he needs surgery and they are not sure if he'll be ready for the start of 2018. Why can't he have the surgery now?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else wondering what is going on with the FO this year? Rumors of fewer September call ups in a lost season (versus when the team is competing at a high level and doesn't have the opportunity to play new call ups), burying one of their better hitting outfield prospects for some undisclosed reason, promising to "play the kids" back in May and then not, deciding to move their prospects at a slower pace (they don't exactly move that fast in previous seasons, some exceptions of course), having Melancon come back to pitch when he's injured and is in need of surgery. This stuff makes me question what they are doing. Maybe its just the bumps along the way of a new GM but it makes me feel very uneasy about the direction of the organization.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants crushed and swept as Diamondbacks score nine runs in the eighth
Really Shulman, the bullpen? If the FO makes the bullpen their off season priority, then I'll question them more. I already question pitching Melancon in this lost season if he needs surgery and they are not sure if he'll be ready for the start of 2018. Why can't he have the surgery now?

Hank has been off the rails this season.

Since the Giants intent to compete next year, the only move in the Pen I really see as necessary is another lefty and some depth options. No need to spend big again, they've spent huge on the Pen since July of 2016. Someone like Tony Watson would be great, his value has taken a hit this year, but we be fantastic as a 2nd lefty.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else wondering what is going on with the FO this year? Rumors of fewer September call ups in a lost season (versus when the team is competing at a high level and doesn't have the opportunity to play new call ups), burying one of their better hitting outfield prospects for some undisclosed reason, promising to "play the kids" back in May and then not, deciding to move their prospects at a slower pace (they don't exactly move that fast in previous seasons, some exceptions of course), having Melancon come back to pitch when he's injured and is in need of surgery. This stuff makes me question what they are doing. Maybe its just the bumps along the way of a new GM but it makes me feel very uneasy about the direction of the organization.
Who do you propose the call up in September?

Mac? OK. I agree.

Beede? Nope. He us out for the season.

Arroyo? Slater? If they are healthy in time, absolutely.

Shaw? He doesn't need to be added to the 40 yet, and we have a LOT of players who do. No need to start his clock AND block another kid who needs to be added. Same with Suarez.

Duggar? He has been hurt all year, and while he hasn't played badly since getting back, he hasn't kicked in any doors. Send him to winter ball instead.

Maronta? Calixte? You think they won't be called up?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you propose the call up in September?

Mac? OK. I agree.

Beede? Nope. He us out for the season.

Arroyo? Slater? If they are healthy in time, absolutely.

Shaw? He doesn't need to be added to the 40 yet, and we have a LOT of players who do. No need to start his clock AND block another kid who needs to be added. Same with Suarez.

Duggar? He has been hurt all year, and while he hasn't played badly since getting back, he hasn't kicked in any doors. Send him to winter ball instead.

Maronta? Calixte? You think they won't be called up?
September callups :D

Basically, I would say 9 to 10 players (not sure on Heathcott yet).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
September callups :D

Basically, I would say 9 to 10 players (not sure on Heathcott yet).
Melancon is already here.

Belt will be added if he is alright. I have not heard anything. Same with Arroyo and Slater.

Law, Moronta, Calixte and MAYBE Hwang are no-cost adds, and likely will be added. Hwang is a DFA possibility.

Not sure if Okert is still in future plans. Same for Osich.

Rogers and Heathcott and FedEx are unlikely adds. Although, I suppose there is a chance, if the org wants to keep FedEx around next year.

Snelton is a likely add.

Who knows about Mac.

Morse will either be activated or added to the 60, I think.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanton rumors are white hot right now. And supposedly, the Giants could have him for next-to-free if they take all/almost all of the contract.

I am not certain I like the idea regardless, but...

CF - Slater
2B - Panik
C - Posey
LF - Stanton
1B - Belt
RF - Pence
SS - Crawford
3B - Sandoval

Shaw, Duggar, Hernandez, Span and Parker all spend time in the OF as well. Hopefully Span gets traded.

Tomlinson, Arroyo and Jones all spend time in the infield.

Maybe the Giants try to make a bigger blockbuster with Miami and try to get Osuna or Yelich as well as Stanton (reportedly, all 3 will be gone by opening day 2018). Maybe Panik and Shaw for Osuna and Stanton?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanton rumors are white hot right now. And supposedly, the Giants could have him for next-to-free if they take all/almost all of the contract.

I am not certain I like the idea regardless, but...

CF - Slater
2B - Panik
C - Posey
LF - Stanton
1B - Belt
RF - Pence
SS - Crawford
3B - Sandoval

Shaw, Duggar, Hernandez, Span and Parker all spend time in the OF as well. Hopefully Span gets traded.

Tomlinson, Arroyo and Jones all spend time in the infield.

Maybe the Giants try to make a bigger blockbuster with Miami and try to get Osuna or Yelich as well as Stanton (reportedly, all 3 will be gone by opening day 2018). Maybe Panik and Shaw for Osuna and Stanton?

we can't have span roaming center for another year. i feel the same way about pablo at 3rd - he's lost more than a step since departing

if we have to play span, maybe lf?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can't have span roaming center for another year. i feel the same way about pablo at 3rd - he's lost more than a step since departing

if we have to play span, maybe lf?
Span will ONLY play left next year. If the Giants are able to get Osuna or Yelich from Miami as well, than they HAVE to trade him somewhere. Although, eating his contract is a possibility as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Span will ONLY play left next year. If the Giants are able to get Osuna or Yelich from Miami as well, than they HAVE to trade him somewhere. Although, eating his contract is a possibility as well.

good... pagan's last years de-sensitized us. even with lowered expectations, watching span roam cf has been painful

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon is already here.

Belt will be added if he is alright. I have not heard anything. Same with Arroyo and Slater.

Law, Moronta, Calixte and MAYBE Hwang are no-cost adds, and likely will be added. Hwang is a DFA possibility.

Not sure if Okert is still in future plans. Same for Osich.

Rogers and Heathcott and FedEx are unlikely adds. Although, I suppose there is a chance, if the org wants to keep FedEx around next year.

Snelton is a likely add.

Who knows about Mac.

Morse will either be activated or added to the 60, I think.
My post was three weeks ago, my 9 to 10 comment was on the callup portion of that list. That was exactly my point that these guys I listed should get called up. If the bullpen is really a problem area, try out Rogers. he deserves a cup of coffee. Let Heathcott show what he can do. This team is a total mess. Let some fresh players get a chance.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shohei Otani Shows Stuff, Rust In Mound Return | BaseballAmerica.com

Giants were among those teams. No one is really sure when Otani is coming over, if he comes over this year, he would be subject to the international bonus pool restraints. So he could make a max of $10M in bonus money, and then is locked in with his team for 6 years, 3 years at the minimum and 3 years of arbitration. If he waits another 2 years though, he wouldn't be restricted in any way, could sign any deal. So it's likely he waits, but there are conflicting reports. Giants would have no chance if he comes over before next July.

Whenever he comes over, there will be a ton of buzz. Kid is a superstar, a true 2-way player. The fact that the Giants are expressing interest is nice at least. If the timing lines up, hope they are all over him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my ideal target because he only has 1 year left on his deal, and would hit the free agent market at age 33, while likely commanding a huge deal that just won't end well for an NL team, but he's a great bat.

Josh Donaldson.

I think a deal with Panik and a collection of minor leaguers would allow the Giants to pull it off without totally gutting themselves. Shift Arroyo to 2nd base.

Another interesting name to float around: Billy Hamilton. Almost no bat, Bochy would probably still hit him leadoff but whatever you get him for his defense. He's 27 and headed to arbitration this winter, 3 years of control. Honestly, it's a ripe time to trade for him. His price tag should be pretty hefty, but not crippling.

An alternative to Hamilton? Kevin Pillar. Pillar reminds me of Aaron Rowand somewhat, which may make some shudder, but I mean more in the fearless way he plays. He also has a limited bat, but again you get him for defense. 4 years of control, turns 29 next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I am ok with trading Panik alone for Donaldson, let alone Panik PLUS for Donaldson. As you stated, he is old and only has 1 year left on his current deal, and he is coming off a down-ish year. Conversely, Panik is young with 4 years (??) of control in front of him, and is coming off 2/3s of a strong year (he started the year horribly which has damaged his numbers).

I think I would rather include Panik in the Stanton deal to help keep the $$ manageable there.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I am ok with trading Panik alone for Donaldson, let alone Panik PLUS for Donaldson. As you stated, he is old and only has 1 year left on his current deal, and he is coming off a down-ish year. Conversely, Panik is young with 4 years (??) of control in front of him, and is coming off 2/3s of a strong year (he started the year horribly which has damaged his numbers).

I think I would rather include Panik in the Stanton deal to help keep the $$ manageable there.

So would I. Just a theoretical scenario. I would think the Giants would push hard for an extension, which has it's flaws too, but he's still an elite bat for 3 years IMO, even in AT&T.

Not sure if the Marlins would want much to do with Panik until they can get Gordon out of the way, and his contract is pretty meh. Would be interesting if the teams matched up on a massive salary swap, NBA style.

Stanton and Gordon or Panik, Pence, and Span. Giants tie up a shit ton of long term money, but get 2 productive players for 1 productive player and 2 replacement players, on a pure paper situation.

Still seems more like fantasy/video game GMing to me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would I. Just a theoretical scenario. I would think the Giants would push hard for an extension, which has it's flaws too, but he's still an elite bat for 3 years IMO, even in AT&T.

Not sure if the Marlins would want much to do with Panik until they can get Gordon out of the way, and his contract is pretty meh. Would be interesting if the teams matched up on a massive salary swap, NBA style.

Stanton and Gordon or Panik, Pence, and Span. Giants tie up a shit ton of long term money, but get 2 productive players for 1 productive player and 2 replacement players, on a pure paper situation.

Still seems more like fantasy/video game GMing to me.
I have been trying to think of some contract dumps as well. The prob is, we don't really have any horrible contracts. MAYBE Cueto. MAYBE Melancon. I would love to swap Belt, but only because I feel he would fetch a good return. But with his concussion issues, he has absolutely zero trade value right now.

Pence and Span are bad contracts, but only for one year. Stanton will be an albatross within 4 years, and he owns a 10-year pact. The only reason I seem to post positively about the pending deal is because I am getting resigned to it, and I still trust the FO that they will figure a way to make it work. But it is possible that they are relative morons and just lucked out a few years in a row in the draft (I don't believe this, just posing it as a possibility). I am not sure I trust that they are able to contend in the new game, though. It is sooo alien to everything they seem to know about the game.

But as far as contract swaps go, I am not sure I see much of an offset here. I have been thinking about something like Stanton and Osuna for Beede and Shaw. But I am still not certain I like that. Shaw could be a stud, and I am just not sold on the idea that the current core should be catered to.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been trying to think of some contract dumps as well. The prob is, we don't really have any horrible contracts. MAYBE Cueto. MAYBE Melancon. I would love to swap Belt, but only because I feel he would fetch a good return. But with his concussion issues, he has absolutely zero trade value right now.

Pence and Span are bad contracts, but only for one year. Stanton will be an albatross within 4 years, and he owns a 10-year pact. The only reason I seem to post positively about the pending deal is because I am getting resigned to it, and I still trust the FO that they will figure a way to make it work. But it is possible that they are relative morons and just lucked out a few years in a row in the draft (I don't believe this, just posing it as a possibility). I am not sure I trust that they are able to contend in the new game, though. It is sooo alien to everything they seem to know about the game.

But as far as contract swaps go, I am not sure I see much of an offset here. I have been thinking about something like Stanton and Osuna for Beede and Shaw. But I am still not certain I like that. Shaw could be a stud, and I am just not sold on the idea that the current core should be catered to.

I tend to think that they have just faced an extreme string of bad luck, I mean almost every single move has back fired since July 2015, but I would say at the time most of the deals made sense. I guess that's counteracting the string of good luck the org had where it seemed like everything they touched turned to gold. I don't think they are at the forefront of innovation as far as front offices go, for the most part they have run conservatively (in the sense of how they spend their capital, not necessarily how much money they spend). Would it be nice to see them catch up a bit in that aspect? Yes.

Back to contract talk, I don't think it's likely they take on Ozuna or Yelich unless they are able to shed even more salary than Span and Pence elsewhere. That a ton of money tied to a core that as you say is questionable at the moment.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Sandoval, I thought the Giants were stuck with him for the remainder of the Red Sox contract but Baseball Reference lists his next free agent year as this off season. Apparently, my assumption that the contract is in effect even after release and pick up by another team was wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Sandoval, I thought the Giants were stuck with him for the remainder of the Red Sox contract but Baseball Reference lists his next free agent year as this off season. Apparently, my assumption that the contract is in effect even after release and pick up by another team was wrong.
The Giants actually own team options on him at league min (500K) for the next 2 years.

Not looking good for him sticking around, though.